Hiking Mt. Washington--advice?

Options
This weekend a few friends and I are planning to hike Mt. Washington (highest peak in the Northeast). I've done some hiking before, but nothing as challenging as this. I'm nervous, but mostly excited. I know that this is something that the me of 6 months ago would not have even attempted, so I'm really excited to push my body to do new and fun things.

We will only be on the mountain for two days (and 1 night). I already have the basics (good shoes, socks, layers, water purification, etc.). Do any experienced hikers have tips, or has anyone hiked this particular mountain before and have any wisdom to impart?

Thanks!

Replies

• ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've hiked Washington a number of times. Are you camping or staying in one of the Appalachian Huts? The hike is long, but it really depends on what route you are taking. If you are going up Tuckerman's Ravine it is a much shorter hike, but pretty much straight up! Do you know what route you are taking? That will determine a lot of things.

Above all else, pack for the weather, it can change in an instant and get chancy up there! And don't wear cotton. When it gets wet it gets cold and gives you no warmth.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Which route are you taking? I hike in the white mountains all the time. As the other commenter said, layers are key. Weather changes rapidly. Also are you planning to wear hiking boots? Are they well broken in? I am prone to blisters so have some advice for that if you need it.
  • ryantrimble12
    ryantrimble12 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I believe our plan is to do Tuckerman's Ravine and stay in one of the AT huts. I went out and picked up some non-cotton shirts this weekend, and I have hiking boots that I've used for a couple of years so they are well broken in, but I also have some moleskin just in case--I don't want pesky blisters slowing me down!

Do you know if most of the huts are first come first serve?
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The Huts are by reservation, you need to reserve a place and pay for it. You can check their site out here: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/

You are probably thinking of staying at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. It is about 1.5 miles or so from the summit and gorgeous! The huts are great since you don't have to hike in all your gear and food.

I usually take the long route in and take Tuckerman's out, but it works in any direction!
  • beckytcy
    Options
    Oops double post
  • beckytcy
    Options
    Do you have liner socks to wear under your hiking socks? Those are effective in preventing blisters. Moleskin doesn't stay on my feet because my feet sweat so you might want to get some medical tape to secure it around your foot. If you start feeling a hot spot, stop and put on the moleskin and medical tape. Take off your boots when you stop for a break and change socks if they are wet. Tuckermans is a pretty gentle route so you should be fine especially over two days. I did it a few weeks ago with frequent breaks and it took maybe 7 hours total. I have never stayed in a hut but I believe they take reservations. If there are "shelters" those are first come first served.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    The Huts are by reservation, you need to reserve a place and pay for it. You can check their site out here: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/

You are probably thinking of staying at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. It is about 1.5 miles or so from the summit and gorgeous! The huts are great since you don't have to hike in all your gear and food.

I usually take the long route in and take Tuckerman's out, but it works in any direction!

+ 1

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I did the Tuckermans route back in the 1990s. What struck me was the fact that there was almost no "trail" per se. The path was all rocks almost from start to finish. The last stretch (800 vertical feet or so IIRC) is pretty much rock scrambling.

I was in good shape all the time in those days, but my legs weren't in that kind of hiking shape. Coming down that stretch after I reached the top just destroyed by quads. I would almost suggest that, if you wanted to do some kind of pre-hike training, that you not only do a lot of climbing UP stairs, you spend an equal amount of time going DOWN them as well.
  • ryantrimble12
    ryantrimble12 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful!