Don't Run......

Options
2»

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Taking exercise advice from a sleep therapist is like taking cooking advice from Jeffrey Dahmer. Or some other wacky backwards comparison that I'm too tired to think of because I ran a 5K this morning, how stupid of me.

I take cooking advice from Hannibal Lecter. :flowerforyou:
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea for years... they usually encourage you to lose weight and get exercise as this helps with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In my case, I run 25-30 miles a week and since I started running I have lost about 100 lbs. That was 100 pounds which were compressing my lungs while sleeping.

Unless they have some concrete reason for not running... I'd do it anyways. Just be conscious of the time of day you run.. it tends to temporarily increase your blood pressure and that can be a problem for people trying to fall asleep.

I myself can't run after 8:00 pm or will be up till the wee hours of the night.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is this your doctor?

200px-Dr._Nick.png

lol

You. I like you.:laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Meh. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you don't like his, ignore it.
  • Brainiak20
    Brainiak20 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What I find amazing...aren't medical professionals suppose to encourage exercise? What would he rather see you do? I say if you enjoy it...do it! You should do things in life that make you feel good, and if they provide a benefit (aka exercise)...then that's just the bonus!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

I definitely agree with your attitude, but I think there isa pretty good percentage of people out there who believe it is hard on ones' joints and feet. So I was honestly not at all surprised or shocked by the OP.

It would be safe to say that there's a pretty good percentage of people out there who are misinformed.

To the OP, unless you have a medical history that contraindicates running keep at it! It took me a number of years to work up from a 5K to half-marathon distances but with consistent, progressive training you can do it.

I've been told that many times by my mom and also by my DH. DH has been to a chiro and two different PT's for back problems and they all told him that basically running is bad for everybody.
    I run anyway. :p