I'm a Victim...

Options
..of a Self-Fulfilled Destiny. My whole life. I can't remember the pivotal moment when my aspirations took the back burner or when, in my life, I decided silently to believe the thoughtless words spoken both by loved ones and by strangers but I did. In high school, I was the loser, so I played that part. People called me stupid or treated me as such, I embodied it. I stopped trying. I was told that me being overweight was just something that happened, so I quit exercising and trying to maintain my health. I had a myriad of reasons. My failure to appease my parents by dropping out of college, my inability to hold down a job more than a month because I had every excuse in the book to my failure, my depression crept up on me like a slow - choking weed to a flower. My mind was my crutch.

Then, after kids, I was told my body would never be the same, so I shouldn't worry about weight loss. It wasn't even close to truth. Sure, my body will never be the same. I have stretch marks down my stomach, my thighs, my calves both from rapid weight gain and children. But it certainly didn't impede my ability to take care of myself. I had been a victim my whole life. I blamed everyone else for my shortcomings, some of which I cannot take back. But what set me free was the knowledge that we are what we make our life to be. I'm not saying there's a cookie cutter answer to this. We all have our own destinies, we all have things that truly do impede our abilities to succeed but we CAN overcome. Maybe it'll take longer than others. Maybe it will take our whole lives.

Now, I'd rather spend my life trying to achieve my aspirations and believing in myself than stuck in the catacombs of my mind, pretending the labyrinth is too complicated to handle. We are either standing still or we are moving forward. The pace doesn't matter. The will to fight is still a will, nonetheless. So fight! I won't ever be a victim to myself again.

2aha52h.jpg

sorry, that was very Nike-esk lmao.

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Both adorable and badass! :drinker: :smooched:
  • CStellaGo
    CStellaGo Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this so much. Kuddos for overcoming!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Love it! So relatable at this point in my journey, too. Keep on fighting!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad to hear you are on the mend. Go out kick a&& and take names later. :bigsmile: WTG!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    You are so amazing and inspirational. So glad to count you among my friends :love:
  • JocyChan
    JocyChan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! <(^^)>
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    slow-clap-gif-31.gif

You go girl! Amazeballs!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing, strong, brave, bada$$ woman that I am very happy to call a friend.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Love it! There is another thread going about MFP crushes and the first name I thought of was SugarLynx! This is why! You are an inspiration to so many you don't even know!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I believe we all have our own struggles, our own self-imposed mental prisons in which we relinquish our dreams. We have two options. We can either fail because of or succeed in spite of. I fight on in spite of.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Love you guys and this community. I truly, truly do. Each of you have played a part in helping me come to this realization and stick to it. I feel so thankful that I can do the same for others. ♡ It feels like the great circle of MFP hehe. Those that inspired me helped me to inspire. Thus the cycle continues. It's so relieving to know that the chains that bind us can, in fact, be broken. Even if they have to be broken a thousand times over.

:flowerforyou:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I needed this this morning, big time. Thank you. Both for being awesome and taking the time to write about it to us.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So true! Great post. Awesome inspiration. Thank you.
  • redles13
    redles13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Powerful and factual......I salute you and your supreme effort............
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n5vpo3SXct1qbyxr0o1_500_zps4f192b95.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You are an amazing, strong, brave, bada$$ woman that I am very happy to call a friend.

This!!!

I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: you.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome woman. I'm so glad we're friends!

4757-omg-so-amazing.gif
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    LOVE YOUUUU!! :) You rock!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart: