Body image and self esteem at all time low...

Options
I just feel awful about how I look :/ I'm going on holiday in 3 weeks, and I'm literally feeling that I would look awful in a bikini on a beach, like a really, really fat girl :'( I'm 18, 5"2 and 133(ish)lbs... I feel so bad about my body all the time and constantly comparing myself to every other girl I see, and obsessing about it to my boyfriend, who honestly says he'd prefer me to be on the "bit too big" side than too small...

There are pictures on my profile if you guys wonna see...
I just don't know what to do anymore :( I just feel so ugly :(

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Learn to love yourself dear. 133lbs at 5'2 is still in "normal" BMI. You look lovely in a bikini. Really, you do. Try not to compare yourself to anyone. Perfection doesn't exist. Stop talking yourself down to your boyfriend. He obviously loves you (mostly for your personality) and finds you attractive. Don't try to convince him otherwise.

tumblr_m3v9cxOJ6z1qiiatfo1_400.jpg
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    you know what.. check this out, do you think this girl looks ugly... id be hoping not...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1313141-not-the-success-story-that-most-post-but

ah no... read her post please..

Im not sure weather you are after a whole heap of people telling you you look fine, but you must lean to love yourself.

also what Previous poster said.....
  • jessluvs24
    jessluvs24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stop comparing Yourself and make it a personal goal to love yourself.

Just because they are beautiful does not mean that you aren't.
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey Anna! I've got a similar problem, vacations are coming close and I don't feel confident enough about my body image, but feeling sorry for myself is not going to get me where I want to be. Eating right and exercising enough, on the other hand, will! But the key here is not to obsess about it, I've come to realise that when you just eat healthy every day and stick to your routine without giving it much thought, change comes naturally and last longer. It is even more important not to compare ourselves with others (and I know this is VERY hard) because everyone is different and our bodies change at different speeds..comparing yourself to other girls is just going to make you feel frustrated -you need good vibes only! Feel free to add me if you want a motivational friend :)
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    Thankyou everybody for being so lovely :heart: Comparing myself with others is definitely a big cause of all of these problems, but I can't help it. I see my beautiful skinny friends every day, I see beautiful skinny models on clothes stores online... I think a large part of looking good is confidence, which I really need... I'm right in the middle of my exams, going on holiday as a treat with my dad and boyfriend... I have 3 months off in summer when I can really focus on creating a sustainable healthy lifestyle, and it will even start during my holiday because my dad and I love to exercise together and create healthy, nutritious meals (shame he lives 10,000 miles away!!)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everybody for being so lovely :heart: Comparing myself with others is definitely a big cause of all of these problems, but I can't help it. I see my beautiful skinny friends every day, I see beautiful skinny models on clothes stores online... I think a large part of looking good is confidence, which I really need... I'm right in the middle of my exams, going on holiday as a treat with my dad and boyfriend... I have 3 months off in summer when I can really focus on creating a sustainable healthy lifestyle, and it will even start during my holiday because my dad and I love to exercise together and create healthy, nutritious meals (shame he lives 10,000 miles away!!)

Yes you can. Every time you find yourself thinking "I wish I looked like..." remember how good you do look. all the amazing things your body can do, all the amazing things your brain can do, the fact that people love you. It's a mental exercise. You can control your thoughts to some degree. You have to try.

Also recognize that "beauty" does not equal "skinny". Skinny women can be beautiful, but so can women who aren't "skinny". And what is your definition of "skinny" anyway? Is it "healthy"? Might not be. Why push so hard to be something that isn't healthy for you?

Also, you are 18. I had similar "issues" when I was a teenager too. A LOT of women do. Hopefully you'll grow out of them but the sooner you can do so, the better.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am just going to say that those other people are not you. You are you and you are BEAUTIFUL. You've got the body shape of Marilyn Monroe and you should feel good about the way you look! Rock that bikini on vacation because you're rocking it in your photo. Don't hide from others. Let them be jealous of your looks! You may just be someone's reason to lose weight and not even know it.
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    Yes you can. Every time you find yourself thinking "I wish I looked like..." remember how good you do look. all the amazing things your body can do, all the amazing things your brain can do, the fact that people love you. It's a mental exercise. You can control your thoughts to some degree. You have to try.

Also recognize that "beauty" does not equal "skinny". Skinny women can be beautiful, but so can women who aren't "skinny". And what is your definition of "skinny" anyway? Is it "healthy"? Might not be. Why push so hard to be something that isn't healthy for you?

Also, you are 18. I had similar "issues" when I was a teenager too. A LOT of women do. Hopefully you'll grow out of them but the sooner you can do so, the better.
    I am just going to say that those other people are not you. You are you and you are BEAUTIFUL. You've got the body shape of Marilyn Monroe and you should feel good about the way you look! Rock that bikini on vacation because you're rocking it in your photo. Don't hide from others. Let them be jealous of your looks! You may just be someone's reason to lose weight and not even know it.

Thankyou both of you, you both make very good points and are also very lovely!! :) I agree that confidence takes time, and I know I need it... Thankyou all for your very good words of advice, hopefully on my holiday I will feel comfortable in my body around those I love. I NEED to stop comparing myself to others, it's such a bad thing to do. I look at my best friend and i think "she is beautiful! She has the perfect body and eats healthily and is clever and I wish I could be like her!!"... Turns out she is jealous of me, because I got an offer for the course we both wanted to do and she unfortunately didn't :( I guess other people just manage to deal with jealousy and comparisons better than me, but I am determined to better myself every day, starting with my self esteem :):flowerforyou:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    All I can say is you are a very lovely young woman with a beautiful bikini ready figure!
    Life is precious and wonderful!
    Enjoy your love, your body and your life!
    Rejoice in all the good things in your life!
    You have so much living ahead of you. Don't waste time on feeling bad about yourself.
    I am sixty-5'2" and around 125. My husband thinks I'm beautiful in a bikini and I choose to feel the same way about myself-even in my 60 year old (3 children) and 50 pounds of lost weight body.
    Life is short-please make the most of your!