Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I use PF and have had a lot of success with them. The one I go to offers classes during the daytime, you just ask to sign up for one and they put you in. They max out at 5 people for mine and are divided up based on what you want to work on, such as arms, legs etc. I went to one once to get routine ideas for the circuit training area they have. There is a trainer at mine all the time leading said classes, but you can also schedule individual time with her, and she is very helpful and knowledgeable.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    oh and
    9gcrq_zps59ce9c27.gif?t=1402360965
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness sucks whale.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness sucks whale.

Good argument...

bmh.gif
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    From what i have heard regarding Planet Fitness i think your best bet would be to find a fitness center that WANTS you to succeed and get as far away from that one as possable if you plan on building a better body.

I go PF to workout. They have cardio equipment and weights. What more do you need. I go there and work out when the weather is bad outside. If I don't succeed its my own fault, not PF's.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with "ask."

lol

Seriously, if you feel funny or uncomfortable asking them while you are there then call them and ask anonymously. That way when you go back to PF you can just go up and ask them to help you without feeling some type of way. lol
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I go there for deadlifts. They even have a deadlift horn.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I go PF to workout. They have cardio equipment and weights. What more do you need. I go there and work out when the weather is bad outside. If I don't succeed its my own fault, not PF's.

Personally, I need a place that allows me to do a real lifting routine, including deadlifts, without making me feel like a bad person for it.

But, everyone's fitness goals are different, so if you aren't looking for a compound lifting routine, and don't mind having to adhere to a high school dress code (at least around here), I'm sure it is fine.
  • davefred99
    davefred99 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just signed up with PF and they were very helpful. The first time I was there the guy at the counter gave me a few pointers and then I signed up for a person exercise plan session. There were two of us but the other person just wanted a few new things added to here old routine . So I got about 45 min of one on one help with each exercise the trainer recommended for me. I think for $10 a month its a pretty good deal for me. When or if I out grow them then I will look elsewhere but i doubt that will be any time soon. I have found my PF center to be very clean and well staffed with helpful people. I think it is all about your expectations and what you want from a gym. If you are a body builder maybe its not your cup of tea but for everyday folks like me that just want a place to work out I don't know where you can get more for your money.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    oh and
    9gcrq_zps59ce9c27.gif?t=1402360965

So much for PF not having "real weights". lol
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with PF at all. I still go there and can out dead-lift / squat anyone on this thread.

Don't be afraid to ask for plans. There's the PHUL method split (I personally use), Stronglifts 5x5, Icecream Fitness split, etc.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with PF at all. I still go there and can out dead-lift / squat anyone on this thread.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. It's not designed for serious weight lifters, and I'm fine with that. I've met with the PT a couple of times and she (ok this is just at my local gym, I cant' speak for all locations) has always been helpfu and friendly. I'm not sure where the "go to a gym where they want you to suceed" came from, as for a dress code the only thing I have seen is a no jeans sign but I have seen people on treadmills with jeans on. There is a lady in her mid 60's that comes in with polyester pants and a blouse on every day. She does thirty minutes on the treadmill and leaves. I like a gym that has room for that lady in addition to the super buff muscle men.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Two of my friends use PF. But they know what they're doing, so they go to lift/use the weight room, and leave.
    PF is good for people who want a low key environment, or an inexpensive membership.
    If you want to be working with a PT and not have a "lunk alarm" go off if you drop equipment, I'd suggest investing in a slightly more expensive gym to fit your needs.

I used to go to the YMCA, and I really liked it a lot. I've tried out two, and I've only had good experience there.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,

It doesn't matter what gym you go to, if you have any questions ask an employee. Most of PF have trainers on staff. Get an appointment and they will design a plan for you.

Base line - ask.

Good Luck and ignore all the BS that goes here. Good question.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. It discriminates against serious weight lifters, and I'm fine with that. I've met with the PT a couple of times and she (ok this is just at my local gym, I cant' speak for all locations) has always been helpfu and friendly. I'm not sure where the "go to a gym where they want you to suceed" came from, as for a dress code the only thing I have seen is a no jeans sign but I have seen people on treadmills with jeans on. There is a lady in her mid 60's that comes in with polyester pants and a blouse on every day. She does thirty minutes on the treadmill and leaves. I like a gym that has room for that lady in addition to the super buff muscle men.

FTFY
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Any gym that kicks you out for accidentally dropping a weight is no gym I want to support.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Go to the front desk and ask to make an appointment to meet with the trainer, and they should also give you a schedule for the group strength training classes. They have a schedule of the busiest and least busy times, as well. The trainer at mine is awesome, and he wrote up a routine for me based on what I had already done in the past. I'm sad mine doesn't have all the equipment Cranky's has, though. :cry:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the OP hasn't been back to post on her own thread? shocking
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    the OP hasn't been back to post on her own thread? shocking

agreed_zpsa4116e14.gif