How come walking is now so hard :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a couch to 5k type thing. Start out walking 10 minutes every day or every other day for a week. Then repeat each week, adding on 50% each week cycle.

The good part about cardio is that your cardiovascular system adapts quickly at first, as do your muscles. I will get easier much more quickly.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Make it enjoyable. Download audiobooks from the library. Listen to podcasts...

Consider it "your time".... whatever works.

This and some good walking tunes... you will be back to your good walks in no time.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I used to walk for miles, me and the hubster used to go out all day walking, now I walk 30 minutes and I'm hot and sweating and shattered!!!!!

How do you start doing something more when you know it's not enjoyable?

nobody enjoys it, but as you start to see your results, you'll really start to enjoy it (i say to do it every day, it gets easier the more it becomes a part of your routine). And keep in mind, the eating part is 80% of your success, so really focus on that aspect too.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I used to walk for miles, me and the hubster used to go out all day walking, now I walk 30 minutes and I'm hot and sweating and shattered!!!!!

How do you start doing something more when you know it's not enjoyable?

nobody enjoys it, but as you start to see your results, you'll really start to enjoy it (i say to do it every day, it gets easier the more it becomes a part of your routine). And keep in mind, the eating part is 80% of your success, so really focus on that aspect too.
    i love walking!!!! I run which is tough, so when I just walk it's so enjoyable.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    When I started getting active, walking for 10 minutes made my back and legs hurt. and I didn't even cover a quarter mile. I reminded myself that when I was more active, I used to love it and that the only reason i wasn't loving it now was because I was uncomfortable..but ya know what? I was uncomfortable sitting on my *kitten* too, because of the extra weight. I knew that continuing to not be active would only make things worse, and I'd become even more uncomfortable in my skin, and that any discomfort I felt while walking would be temporary, and that over time it would disappear. You don't want to push it to the point where you're hurting yourself...but being uncomfortable while you exercise is ok...so, listen to your body. If 30 minutes pushes you to where you are too uncomfortable, then stop at 10-15 minutes. When that isn't so bad, add a few more minutes. ALLOW yourself to start small! 10 minutes is more than zero minutes. And, barring any medical conditions, you will be able to increase that consistently if you do it consistently.

3 years ago, walking more than a few minutes at a time was a challenge. Now I can run 2+ miles, and hike 6+, and walk around all day with a friend while on an adventure, and do hot yoga for 90 minutes without passing out lol, and I even tried a Spinning class this morning and managed to keep pedaling the entire time.

You can do it. Start small.