Vegan - Too Many Carbs!

Options
Hi all,
I carry a lot of weight around my belly, so much so that since starting to lose weight I look pregnant! I've heard cutting down on sugar and carbs can help with this, but nearly every day i am way over on both and way under on fats. I imagine this is because I am also vegan, and eat a lot of fruit and veg. How big a problem do you think this is? Any advice? Should I try hard to cut it out?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my midsection, too, and I have a gut. From experience in the past with vegetarian, low carb, and standard American diet: Low carb can make your belly look flatter quickly because you get very little fiber. I know of no other reason, if you are in a calorie deficit, why you won't lose your belly fat eventually. That doesn't mean there isn't a reason, but if there is, I don't know what it is. I hope it's not true, because I just started a vegan diet yesterday (for ethical reasons).
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sadly it is nonsense.

The only way to lose belly fat is with eating less, fat will come off from where it likes and you cannot spot reduce. Carbs don't equal belly fat, in the same way that fat doesn't make you fat. It's just about calories in vs calories out for weight loss.

Read this fab link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

That said for health you should try to find a balance that works for you.

If you are over on you're carbs that means you are under on protein and/or fat which isn't good - you should try to aim for a healthy balance. Even Vegans can get a good amount of protein in - it's just harder and requires more planning.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and been low carb since January. I have noticed a difference is my belly but also in my legs and butt. I think it is just that I am losing all over and not just my belly. I also still have a long way to go.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Carbs will make no difference to your overall weight or where you carry it (you cannot spot reduce). It's calories that count. I'm a Vegan who eats around 60% carbs as you can see it's not effected my weightloss. Yes eat less carbs if you have cravings and are likely to binge on less nutritious ones but reducing carbs is no miracle weightloss. it's overall calories that matter
  • PippaPoo12
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Now I'm just worried about getting enough fats - my cholesterol is very low. And I also dont want to waste muscle by not getting enough protien!