Roasted Veggies are the best !

Options
pita7317
pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
Carrots, small white potatoes, zucchini, onion.
Awesome flavor.
No sauce or butter needed.
Next time sweet potato, turnips and carrots.

What is your favorite combo ?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes, parsnips, red pepper, onion, fennel and carrots.

beets, turnips, and brussel sprouts (not together) also great roasted
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh beets have to try that thanks, like all veggies, aspergus, green beans, onions, broccolli....all are great
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, brussel sprouts, squash, carrot, parsnip, cherry tomatoes and cauliflower tossed in a little bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar - delicious!!

Roasted beets are awesome, roasted pumpkin is delicious...
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I prefer them separate, rather than together, but my absolute favorite is roasted cauliflower, followed by roasted broccoli.
  • pita7317
    Options
    Baked Roma Tomato Spaghetti on the menu this week.
    An old favorite that is awesome and makes the house smell so good when baking !
    Low cal to boot. :) adding three sautéed prawns per serving. Just under 500 cals.
  • pita7317
    Options
    Beets. Love them.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Beets - are these AKA beetroot?

to roast them to you need to boil them first or just stick in the oven? do you cut them up or leave whole?

LOVE beetroot !
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    All colors of peppers...roasted on the outdoor grill with some carne asada, and you have the best taco makings ever:)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I do two different kinds of roasting -- one cut up and tossed with a little olive oil and herbs, the other whole in foil.

Wrapping beets, sweet potatoes, or a butternut squash individually in foil and roasting them with the skins on is great. They can be baked anywhere from 300F to 400F along with whatever else is in the oven. They take about an hour depending on the temp and how big the veg is. When you can poke a fork easily through the foil and into the middle of the veg, it's done.

If you don't want to eat them right away, you can just throw them in the fridge still in their foil and keep them a few days. Then, when you want to eat them, the skins slough off the beets easily with a paper towel and the potatoes or squash scoop easily out of their skins.

The beets are prone to leak no matter how tightly you wrap them and their juice burns on like concrete so set the wrapped beets in a lined pan to bake them.

I have instructions for veggie roasting, including roasted red peppers, on my hobby cooking blog:

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2014/01/02/lazy-baked-beets/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2013/07/18/rich-no-tomato-red-sauce-from-butternut-squash-roasted-red-peppers/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/10/23/roasted-red-peppers-on-homemade-bread-easy-you-say/

http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/10/13/roasted-cauliflower-soup-for-a-rainy-evening/
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like roasted vegetables but am concerned with all the extra calories from the olive oil. I think I tried baking veg without any oil before and it was really dry and not very palatable.
  • Togi11
    Togi11 Posts: 20
    Options
    Beets, onions, cauliflower, butternut squash, peppers and little potatoes with Greek flavouring. I lived on this during the winter.
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love roasted vegetables and my favourite combo is aubergines, courgettes & onions.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I like roasted veggies, but I have never tried putting veggies together. I usually just roast potatoes or asparagus or brussel sprouts etc. I will have to come up with some combinations. Sounds tasty.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like roasted vegetables but am concerned with all the extra calories from the olive oil. I think I tried baking veg without any oil before and it was really dry and not very palatable.

You need some fat in your diet and a little bit of oil goes a long way. I use a teaspoon of oil with 2 teaspoons of balsamic and toss it through enough veg to last for 2 meals. The calories from the oil are negligible and it tastes great. Spray oil can also be good to get a coating without adding too many calories.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Bump