Cyclist v Motorist

Options

Replies

• tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    I figure I'd be pretty rude to a car going 10 mph in front of me causing a traffic jam, too. It's not the vehicle, it's the "I'm entitled to cause a traffic jam" attitude.

And there is your problem. you tarnishing every cyclist with the same brush. My average speed is 18mph on my bike. I cycle 2 miles to and from work. I have "race" a friend to work him in his van me on my bike. I beat him in by about 10 seconds as it is down hill so was able to up my overall speed. Going home is different, i beat him by about 5 minutes even though it's up hill. Due to traffic I am able to go passed waiting vehicles, safely as motor cycles also do, this I find hacks of car drivers because they have to sit and wait. My answer to those people is, get a bike you lazy git. Anyway over a short distance a bike is just as, if not quicker than a car depending on your fitness levels.

#1) I doubt you're going to be going 18 mph.
    #2) That's still much less than half the 45-50 I'd be able to go without a cyclist in the way.
    #3) If you want to bicycle the 45 miles I currently drive to work, that's fine with me, but I'm not willing to put in that kind of effort.

SMH, sometimes I really dis-pare with why people doubt what you say. Why tf would I make it up? I doubt you drive a car 45 miles, I doubt you can drive, I doubt you own a car. Mate, it is my humble opinion (moderators please take note it is an opinion and we are entitled to those) you are one of those car drives that think only you should be on the road.

You called me stupid in a personal message, you use words like "differant" and "dis-spare", and you conflate the speed you're able to ride during a workout with the speed you're going to be able to maintain during rush hour with stop lights. I'm not saying you can't ride 18mph. That's not fast. I'm trying to say it's unlikely you're going to be riding 18mph on Prince Avenue in Athens, GA when you're in front of me causing the right lane to build a compression wave that forces a group of cars to wait for another red light.

I would call anyone stupid on here if the say there is no difference between 10 and 18 when there is clearly a difference of 8, and, if the mods would let me call them stupid but the mods don't like me calling people stupid so I wont call people stupid on here i will call them stupid in private chat. Now if they are stupid enough to bring a private conversation out in the open then that is there own stupid prerogative. If you wish wish to take this back in to PM were we can slag each other of till our hearts content please do. However, please don't bring any conversation I have with you in the open. Not that I get embarrassed, I just find it gutless. Note to mods I have called no one stupid or gutless in this thread, I have said that that is how I see it. That is my opinion.

Point here is it's give and take buddy, motorist and cyclist alike. You don't own the road anymore than a cyclist does, a truck driver, farmer or whatever.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Watched a good program on this very topic last night on ITV. 2 cyclist, a taxi driver and a white van man swap place. Ech said at the end that they hadn't appreciated how difficult it was to be a cyclist, taxi driver or van driver. They all said they would TRY to be more understanding of other road users. Which is what we all should be doing anyway.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I admit, I have little patience for cyclists when i am driving. I just don't get the desire to be on bicycle, fully exposed n traffic with large vehicles that could kill you. It is dangerous to me. Maybe that is my NYC upbringing where most were raised to ride on the sidewalk or at the park. My husband bought me a bike last year and was surprised that I had never rode in the street and I said of course not, it is dangerous. The only people who rode bikes in traffic where I was from was delivery men. Well now that has all changed and bike lanes are all over NYC. Unfortunately this change in infrastructure has come faster than a change in culture. Most of the cyclists riding around busy NYC neighborhoods are not native New Yorkers and are surprised that New Yorkers see them as such a nuisance. I mean who wouldn't be a little bothered by losing a traffic lane to cyclists.

Now I currently live in Toronto and there are a lot of cyclists around here. A week ago we were driving down a very busy street in the heart of the city. There is one lane of traffic each way and most cyclists were riding the side, except for one who chose to ride the middle slowly for a block, backing up traffic. My husband gave her the horn at my urging and another cyclist ahead yelled "Share the Road." He even waited for us to get up to him and knocked on our window. My husband pulled over and when he got out I guess the cyclist was scared and pedaled off. Still the nerve to say "Share the Road," when clearly she was breaking the rules.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I have a rather unique method of dealing with rude *kitten* in cars. I pull out my baton, open it, and smash their passenger side window. I did this two days ago to some young dbag in a truck who pulled up beside me, honked the horn, and then started edging me off the road. After I broke his window, like the true coward he is, he sped off, ignoring my pleas to get out of his truck.

I have been known to throw hard boiled eggs at cars who are really stupid. I live in SW VA where the ignorant, truck driving, redneck population is through the roof. Dbags who think cyclists have no rights to the road. These *kitten* actually TARGET cyclists on back roads, so I take steps to protect myself and my other riders. I also have been known to carry a .380..just in case.

I stay as far right as I can, obey all traffic signs, and stop at all lights. I signal at every turn. I absolutely abhor rude drivers. If you don't have the damn common sense to go around a cyclist, do everyone a favor and stay the hell off the roads.

The guy who started this thread is far more respectful of idiot drivers than I am. I don't tolerate being bullied by idiots just because they think they are entitled to the road.

That's a nice way to get yourself shot by an angry armed driver or arrested.

Maybe so. It's also a good way of handling a dangerous problem.

it doesn't really handle it honestly- it mostly just pisses people off.

Yes, but it also shows them that cyclists don't necessarily make easy targets. Add a little fear in the mix, drivers are really quick to start being respectful. And I'm all bunched up about pissing sorry *kitten* drivers off.

I have to be honest, hitting or bashing my window won't get you respect from me, it would get you run over. Cars are 3 tons of metal and can kill you. You should consider respecting that, instead of trying to show that you can go toe to toe with the cars. I use to drive a lot in Manhattan and pedestrians don't stop crossing the street, even when the light is green. Some drivers will sit and wait. I would push through and make them jump out of my way. A few times I tapped some folks with my car just to let them know that I mean business. So consider yourself lucky, because you have bashed windows and thrown eggs on some really good people, since you are not in jail or suffering broken bones at the moment.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, hitting or bashing my window won't get you respect from me, it would get you run over. Cars are 3 tons of metal and can kill you. You should consider respecting that, instead of trying to show that you can go toe to toe with the cars. I use to drive a lot in Manhattan and pedestrians don't stop crossing the street, even when the light is green. Some drivers will sit and wait. I would push through and make them jump out of my way. A few times I tapped some folks with my car just to let them know that I mean business. So consider yourself lucky, because you have bashed windows and thrown eggs on some really good people, since you are not in jail or suffering broken bones at the moment.

The baton gets their attention. If they are stupid enough to keep trying to PUSH ME OFF THE ROAD, that's when I use the .380. If you ever tapped me with your car, that's exactly what you would see. How stupid are you to tap people with your car?
  • TyFit08
    Options

The baton gets their attention. If they are stupid enough to keep trying to PUSH ME OFF THE ROAD, that's when I use the .380. If you ever tapped me with your car, that's exactly what you would see. How stupid are you to tap people with your car?

How stupid are you to bash someone's window in. You could have been arrested or worse killed if you messed with the wrong driver. You are playing a dangerous game buddy. In a battle of car vs bicycle, which one could land you in the morgue? You are fortunate to not come across a driver like me, because the tap is a warning.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

How stupid are you to bash someone's window in. You could have been arrested or worse killed if you messed with the wrong driver. You are playing a dangerous game buddy. In a battle of car vs bicycle, which one could land you in the morgue? You are fortunate to not come across a driver like me, because the tap is a warning.

Did you read this post? A car was pushing me off the road, so I retaliated. They didn't stop because they would have gotten their *kitten* beat. Your lucky when you tap someone with your car that they don't put a bullet in your damn head, because that's exactly what I would do.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ignorance about sharing the road properly seems to be more prevalent in countries where bikes are just not part of the culture.
    And while the above statement seems obvious to me, cycling advocacy that focuses solely on rights and in your face tactics is actually counter productive.

Just last week, while I was riding a tandem, a young woman driver accidentally tapped the back of my bike at a stop light. I didn't break her window or egg her or yell insults. I did point to my daughter (who was riding stoker) and ask for a little more attention. And frowned.
    The woman caught up to me at the next red light - she apologized and we went our way.

There is rarely a need for road rage between cyclists and motorists.

Mrs Malcolm - the reasonable use of the road does allow a cyclist to take up a lane when needed for safety. Legally too. As to bumping pedestrians or cyclists - not only is it illegal, it is dangerous. Do you really want to put someone in the hospital because the didn't get out of your way fast enough? You really don't want to be charged with careless driving.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A few times I tapped some folks with my car just to let them know that I mean business.

So intentionally striking a cyclist with your vehicle is as idiotic as causing criminal damage to cages. In the event that there is an injury you've essentially acknowledged that it wasn't an accident, you were intentionally running the cyclist down.

When I'm commuting I generally feel safer in central London, than on the rural roads elsewhere. While there are accidents they're frequently as a result of those involved, whether cage dweller or cyclist, focussing on making progress, rather than safety; riding down death valley or not actually using a lifesaver glance. Elsewhere it's because cage dwellers can't actually judge a safe distance, maybe they're using special genital inches rather than real ones. A safe distance is 3 feet, which means when a cycle is taking an appropriate road position, in the middle of the lane, an overtake involves changing lane in the same way as passing a car.

That said, it happens with motorcycles as well, so much of the noise about cyclists per se, but about people who choose to be different on the road. I've had cagers try to block me when I'm filtering on both pedal cycle or motorcycle.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

WOW just wow .. I hope you have REALLY good insurance - and another way to get to work!!

That would (I hope) get you an Assault change over here (and you'd lose your license!). Even if the other folks were in the wrong first,the courts really do NOT take kindly to that sort of action (and rightly so)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

That would (I hope) get you an Assault change over here. Even if the other folks were in the wrong first,the courts really do NOT take kindly to that sort of action (and rightly so)

Assault charge, beaten to death, or shot.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

That would (I hope) get you an Assault change over here. Even if the other folks were in the wrong first,the courts really do NOT take kindly to that sort of action (and rightly so)

We're a bit more laid back over here .. oh and we don't have guns :-p
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

We're a bit more laid back over here .. oh and we don't have guns :-p

Fair enough, but I've seen rather brutal fist fights in very peaceful countries. I don't like making assumptions about what others will or will not do if I push too far. There was an incident not too long in NY where a guy was pulled out of his SUV and severely beaten by a group of motorcyclists (no gun, still a bad result). When it comes to sharing the road, I think it's always a good idea to consider that you don't know the other person and give them space. It's very easy to have a pissing contest on the internet, but IRL, people do get hurt. Cooler heads should prevail.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have a rather unique method of dealing with rude *kitten* in cars. I pull out my baton, open it, and smash their passenger side window. I did this two days ago to some young dbag in a truck who pulled up beside me, honked the horn, and then started edging me off the road. After I broke his window, like the true coward he is, he sped off, ignoring my pleas to get out of his truck.

I have been known to throw hard boiled eggs at cars who are really stupid. I live in SW VA where the ignorant, truck driving, redneck population is through the roof. Dbags who think cyclists have no rights to the road. These *kitten* actually TARGET cyclists on back roads, so I take steps to protect myself and my other riders. I also have been known to carry a .380..just in case.

I stay as far right as I can, obey all traffic signs, and stop at all lights. I signal at every turn. I absolutely abhor rude drivers. If you don't have the damn common sense to go around a cyclist, do everyone a favor and stay the hell off the roads.

The guy who started this thread is far more respectful of idiot drivers than I am. I don't tolerate being bullied by idiots just because they think they are entitled to the road.

That's a nice way to get yourself shot by an angry armed driver or arrested.

Maybe so. It's also a good way of handling a dangerous problem.

it doesn't really handle it honestly- it mostly just pisses people off.

Yes, but it also shows them that cyclists don't necessarily make easy targets. Add a little fear in the mix, drivers are really quick to start being respectful. And I'm all bunched up about pissing sorry *kitten* drivers off.

That's not the best way to get a starring role in Orange is the New Black, but okay. It's a felony, you know. Even in Canada, eh. And Manhattan.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Solution: More bike lanes. Cyclists are safer. Motorists aren't as pissy.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Car's, cyclists, bikers. truck drivers all as bad as each other.
    Some behave impeccably others behave hideously.
    It's not what your in control of it's the person who's in control of it.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Most of those accident free miles have been thanks to my defensive cycling attitude mixed with strong positioning.

Riding my bicycle has made me a much better car driver. I pay plenty of road tax through owing two cars, and I contribute to road maintenance through my Council Tax and other general taxation.

I have as much right to be on the road on my bicycle as in my car, or as any other car driver.

Defensive cycling and strong positioning is the key, but this is often seen as obstructive by poor car drivers. I will take the central position in a traffic lane on the approach to a junction or if travelling in a slow line of traffic. It is safer for me and everyone else.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Did you read this post? A car was pushing me off the road, so I retaliated. They didn't stop because they would have gotten their *kitten* beat. Your lucky when you tap someone with your car that they don't put a bullet in your damn head, because that's exactly what I would do.
    you would kill someone because they tapped your window lol

'MURICA, *kitten* YEAH
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You are fortunate to not come across a driver like me, because the tap is a warning.

I suggest you get yourself some anger management classes, and soon.