I only eat freezer aisle foods

Options

Replies

• JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cooking your meals is definitely going to help a lot in the long run and learning how to do something nice for a date or significant other like cooking a nice dinner tends to get plenty of bonus points too! ;)

I personally tend to eat my breakfast out of the microwave simply because when i wake up first thing in the morning i barely get out of bed much less start cooking ha ha, but the wok idea is great. Roasted veggies are very easy and healthy long as you don't overdo it on the oils you put on, and is as simple as putting veggies in a pain, salt/pepper/oil and throwing them in the oven. Chili is healthy and very easy too as besides browning the meat you generally throw it all in a pot and let it cook.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Even the basics need to be taught, which I understand but as you know the internet is your friend!
    There are videos on 'how to' for cooking as much as anything else.
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can teach yourself online at onlinecookingschool.com. They offer some sample courses to help people with very little cooking experience. I've heard great things about it.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add as I am probably worse than you. My "normal" diet for many years has been "anything you can buy in a gas station" :)

Now I "make" food at home, but by that I mean I scoop the yogurt out of the container and add protein powder, assemble a salad from already cut up veggies, or I *might* cook an egg here and there. Its an improvement at least!

For every person that says how easy it is or how anyone can learn, I just want to slap. I can build and program a computer from scratch, repair my lawnmower, do my own taxes, etc but put me in a kitchen and I am a complete moron. You would think it is just like science - all measurements and mixing chemicals and stuff, which would be easy but I have found way too much "art" in the process - and I am not artistic in the least.

Plus I have zero interest. That doesnt help :) That being said, I keep looking and trying, but usually it does not end up well!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm in the "learning to cook" boat as well :(
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    IMO your best bet is to only shop the perimeter of the store. Nothing processed. Learn how to grill and put everything on it. Including veggies if you want. Add in some raw, fresh fruit and boiled eggs. The end.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm bad with fast food, I admit that. It's just so much quicker and more convenient, so that's hardest to avoid and I don't always manage (like today).

But when I cook, I found that it's actually easier and simpler to cook with fresh ingredients. And especially with veggies fresh CAN mean frozen because those are usually just as good. I don't know, I just find it much easier to cook some fresh veggies than follow the instructions for a quick meal.

I think the main problem people have with cooking is that they watch Jamie Oliver or that Nigella girl on TV and it looks great but then they want to go and cook exactly the same dish. And they buy books and want to cook exactly the same dishes they find in them. And that's where it gets hard because they use a ton of different ingredients and spices that you probably don't have at home. So what I do is that I let them inspire me to make something similar with what I have at home and know how to make. Like preparing veggies is pretty much always the same story, either boil them or throw them in the pan with the rest and from there, it just depends on your personal taste whether you like your food more mushy or with a nice bite. Same with spices. All you have to do is figure out what you like and then play around with that. Don't be afraid of doing something wrong. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a mediocre meal but that's a risk you're also facing when you buy something that was made by someone else.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I honestly can relate - i taught my sons girfriend to cook - really cook - real food, her mother considers making hamburger helper a meal .... i know its ok once in a while, but seriously , 5 out of 7 days , and the other days its burgers or pizza?

ok, i digress.
    1- you do not need 20 spices.
    pepper, salt,garlic and sugar cinnamon vanilla are enough to get you started.
    2. repeat what i said before - RICE POT!, under 20 bucks and can make up a home made meal in 40 minutes.

recipe 1.
    for one person.
    1 scoop brown rice , in rice pot according to directions, add in diced 1/2 onion and 1Tsp butter: put in the top steamer 1 frozen chicken breast and half bag frozen broccoli cook. ( you will most likely have leftover rice)

recipe 2.
    1 scoop brown rice
    1/2 scoop lentils, 1Tbsp olive or butter
    garlic and pepper to taste when done
    thats it . super easy, tasty and it is a complete meal , if you want throw a bag of frozen peas when the timer on the pot goes off, it will cool everything down and theres a complete 2 meals .
    recipe 3
    1 scoop brown rice , 1 can tuna
    cook till done add 1/2 c milk and 1 oz shredded cheese.
    and again , the trusty frozen veg, we like peas and carrots with it .
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    you tube videos. I like to watch them when I need to learn something new. Cooking involves doing it over and over again to get good results. you tube just helps you avoid making basic mistakes so you learn faster thru imitation. I LOVE Food Wishes.com with Chef John because he make popular food dishes with lots of explanation for the every day guy who cooks very little.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Everything I "cooked" was from boxes, like Hamburger Helper. I relied a lot on the pre-made salads.

To get my confidence up and I had my dad show me how to make some really basic recipes, then we moved onto some more complicated things. Now almost everything I make is 100% from scratch.

I'd suggest having a friend help you out with some really basic stuff. As you cook more you'll get more confident and before you know it.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    www.allrecipes.com is a pretty useful site for beginners. I try at least one dish a week, usually from that site.

This!^

They even have videos of people making the recipe. You won't get any better until you practice. Cooking takes practice.

If you want to start with something simple, look for a kids cookbook. Fewer ingredients, fewer steps. A funny story....my nephew (age 9) has had to show grandpa how to do things in the kitchen.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Pantry staples: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, parsley, oil (I use olive), flour, sugar.

Utensils: Tongs, pancake turner (also known as a spatula, basically a "flipper" with slots), slotted spoon, non-slotted spoon, a chef's knife (like the knife in Psycho), wire whisk, peeler, grater, meat thermometer (especially useful while you're learning how to cook to make sure your meat is cooked through).

Equipment: Small and large saucepans (deep pans with sides), small and large skillets (some people call these frying pans), a Dutch Oven or stockpot (a large, 6-quart or more pot with 2 small handes), small and large mixing bowls, colander or strainer, medium sized cookie sheet, casserole dish (Corningware or Pyrex).

Start small and simple, using a grocery aisle assist when needed. Boil some water in your big pot, add some noodles and cook for 6-10 minutes depending on the type of noodle (check the package for directions), heat up a jar of sauce in a small pot, strain noodles, mix with sauce=spaghetti. If you want more of a challenge, brown some ground meat in a skillet, add a few veggies (chopped spinach, grated carrots, grated or chopped zucchini), and throw your sauce over that then add the noodles.

Chop up some veggies, toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, put them in a casserole in a 400 degree oven and about 30-45 minutes later, yummy roasted veggies.

Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning. Place in casserole, and bake at 350 degrees until cooked through, around 30-40 minutes. Check the temperature with a meat thermometer.

Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, whisk until mixed together. Heat butter in a skillet, add eggs once the butter is melted, season with salt, swirl around with your non-slotted spoon until cooked to the consistency you like...scrambled eggs. Add veggies, cheese, deli ham...can be a complete meal.

As others have said, the internet is your friend. Cooking doesn't have to be complicated. Start small and easy, and once you've mastered the basics, try some more challenging recipes. Or don't. You don't have to like cooking, it's not a rule. Some people just don't.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great recipes out there that use only a few ingredients. Start there. It'll give you the basics and won't be complicated. Here are a few: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/01/mouth-watering-monday-25-dinners-that-are-6-ingredients-or-less/

As others have said, you don't need a cabinet full of spices to cook. You also don't need a lot of fancy gadgets. I know someone was pushing a rice pot but I've made rice in a small saucepan on the stovetop for most of my adult life and it's as simple as it gets. Add two cups of water to the saucepan and one cup of long grain rice. Heat until it just starts boiling and turn the heat down to low. Put a lid on the pan, set kitchen timer for 15 minutes and walk away. Seriously. Don't open the lid unless it starts to boil over in which case lift it long enough that the bubbles settle and put the lid back on. When the timer goes off, turn off the heat. Fluff rice with fork. It's really that simple. If you prefer, you can buy a steamer for the microwave that would work, too, and cost much less than an electric gadget that's only good for one thing. When you buy items for the kitchen try to stick to things that are multipurpose. It saves money and space in your cabinets. Also, if that's too much rice for one meal, use it the next day to make fried rice or add it to another dish.

Stir fry is quick and easy, too. You just need pork, chicken, beef or shrimp; a bag of frozen stir fry veggies; soy sauce, ginger, garlic, etc. Cut the meat into small, bite-sized pieces, then brown in a wok or skillet. Add the bag of stir fry veggies and some soy sauce, chopped or granulated garlic or whatever else you'd like to season it. Cook until the veggies are hot. You can either add pre-cooked spaghetti noodles and toss or serve over rice.
  • Harvardreject
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm learning but my current status is freezer aisle junkie. :p
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooking is my hobby and I even have a hobby cooking blog. When I got my first apartment, 40+ years ago, I knew how to make a "New England Boiled Dinner" because everything was just boiled in the same pot. Just start slowly and try it and you will get better and better at it.

When people were starting out with their first apartments years ago, a common gift from Mom was a basic cook book. Hubby and I are in our sixties and each still have those basic cook books. I wouldn't think of making a muffin without grabbing that old book of mine.

Today, there are new editions of many of the old general cookbooks but a modern one I like to use is Mark Bittman's _How to Cook Everything_.

Also, youtube and google are your cooking buddies. Let's say you are unsure how to cut a shallot. If you go to Youtube and search "how to cut a shallot" you'll retrieve lots of videos that show you how. Let's say you have no idea how to pick out a ripe cantaloupe at the grocery store. Well, just google "how to choose a cantaloupe" and you'll find several pages that tell you how.

Even though I've been cooking for 40+ years, I still use these tools all the time.

Also, many people who like to cook like to talk about cooking and like having newbies as helpers. Make friends with those who cook.

My hobby cooking blog is www.heidicookssupper.com

and I also have a bunch of recipes at http://www.justapinch.com/me/heidicookssupper
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Start simple with pasta and sauce and things like that.

Watch cooking videos on YouTube also. There are some great ones that actually SHOW you how to make stuff not just say it in a recipe. Don't be afraid to screw up or try something new.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would agree with start simple with pasta. Pasta doesn't have to be just the pasta and a canned jar of sauce. Tonight I had pasta but instead of sauce, I roasted cherry tomatoes in a pan and added a little bit of butter. Once the tomatoes were to my likely (which can vary depending on my mood), I mixed them together with the pasta and added some feta cheese. I love that. And tonight I even grilled a steak and mixed that in but I don't always do that.

Once you start cooking pasta and rice, you can really add anything you like to it. But first, learn how to cook pasta and/or rice. It really isn't too hard but if you burn it or undercook it the first few times, that is okay. It took me awhile to cook rice perfectly and even still, it sometimes isn't cooked enough for my liking.

Rice - 2 cups water, 1 cup dry rice (or any amounts in that ratio 2:1) Covered, bring to boil, don't take that cover off. Once it is boiling, shut off heat and leave for 20-25 minutes or until the water is gone. DON'T remove the cover.

Pasta - boil water, once boiled, put in pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes (this will depend on how well done you like it, for me, 9 minutes is perfect)

I really hate cooking meat but I find grilling it is a lot easier, and tastier, than baking it. So, I typically grill all my protein. I feel you can watch it easier than in the oven.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you're new to cooking then take it slow and start out simple. Cook when you have the time and make enough for leftovers for the next few days. At first cooking can be complicated to pull everything together in the right sequence, but as you gain experience by doing it, it does get easier and you learn a lot of tricks to save steps back and forth.

One of the issues a lot of people have with cooking is ending up with a sink full of pots, utensils, etc... I try to wash utensils as I use them and reuse pans, bowls, or whatever to keep the mess down to a minimum. If I make something that goes into the oven, everything from the preparation is is clean and put away before the dish is done cooking.

Good fresh ingredients almost cook themselves if you keep it simple. With farmers markets and overflow from people's gardens (too many tomatoes and squash usually), you can get a lot of really good fresh produce for not much money right up until fall.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    awww I wont say its easy, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes, inbox me for any questions and add me if you like.
    the basic things are easy, the scary part is knowing when its cooked. to this day I am petrified of cooking fish and panic each time I fry chicken LOL
    send me a list of things you want to learn and ill help you :):drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    How are people like me ever going to learn?
    [/quote]

You have to be willing to learn. It seems that right now you're approaching cooking from a place of hopelessness. Start small, as many previous commenters have said. Use the web. Make a vinaigrette, put it on a salad. Learn to poach an egg. Put it on that salad. You've mastered 2 or 3 basic culinary skills and served yourself a meal you'd never find in that sad old freezer aisle.