What happens when you reach your goal weight?

Options
I was just thinking this morning as to what happens to our calorie goal figure when we reach our target weight?
Does MFP still advise to eat the same number calories or does it change and if so how? More or less?

Replies

• cybrkitn
    cybrkitn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question as well. I had reached my goal weight last summer. Unfortunately, b/c I don't know how to maintain, I've gained almost all of my weight back :grumble:. I've gone from a size 12 petite, back up to a size 16. I'm also finding it very hard to stick with MFP this time compared to last time. Of course, all of the parties (birthday's, communions, confirmations, graduations, etc.) I've been invited to since May doesn't help either.

If I'm able to go back down to a size 12, how do I maintain that weight? I'm afraid that if I stick with the calorie intake at that time, that I'll lose more than I want.
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You'll have to manually go into your goals section and change it from "lose x lbs per week" to "lose 0.5 lbs per week" tto ease yourself into maintenance or "lose 0 lbs per week" for your true net calories to maintain your weight

I have 8lbs before maintenance so at the 10lb mark I switched from lose 2lbs per week to 1.5... when I have 5lbs left I'll do 1lb a week and so on until I'm at maintenance. Going from a 1200 net to 1800-1900 net can be a bit shocking and hard to do so I'm just slowing down the rate of weight loss by slowly increasing calories until there's no loss but no gain either.

But to answer your question, the less weight you tell MFP you want to lose per week, the more calories it will give you to eat.
  • c_est_rose
    c_est_rose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you reach your goal weight, you need to change you goals in the goal settings. Change to maintain weight.

While your adjusting, don't forget that after you've changed your lifestyle that it doesn't mean you "get" to add just any food back to your diet. Maintain the healthy choices you've made. Remember to continue to eat fresh foods high in fiber, continue to eat healthy protein that isn't saturated in fats. Continue to stay away from treats and keep all those treats in moderation. When you add calories back to your weight management plan, be sure they are healthy foods that have healthy fat such as avocadoes or olives not deep fried fats and empty calorie starches. Do not expand your meals and meal size, add an extra snack that has the calories you need to adjust for.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    And remember you can over-ride the suggested number of calories when you enter 'maintain' as a goal. I decided to make my kilojoule intake allowed 600 less than the MFP number stated. I'll leave it at that for a few weeks and just see what my weight does on that number. If I continue to lose I'll up it a bit more until my weight remains steady. However I thought the huge jump of 'allowed' kilojoules MFP gave me on swapping to maintainence was too risky to gobble immediately
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal weight MFP changed my weight loss goal to maintain on it's own.

As for the rest here are the common suggestions.

When you are 10-15lbs from goal weight change your goal to 1/2lb a week. This allows for more calories naturally. 1lb a week with 10lbs is too agressive.

The process is called reverse dieting. When you are at goal weight you start adding 50-100 calories a day per week and watch your weight. You keep doing this until you stop losing or gain...then you know your maitenance estimate.

Allow yourself a range for maitenance, for example my goal weight was 155 and I set my weight loss goal to 1/2lb a week at 10lbs. When I hit maitenance I start adding in calories 50 a day I am currently eating 1950 but still losing weight. So I am down to about 153 (which is fine as I set a range of 5lbs for myself.) my maitenance is about 2100 so I will be there by the end of June.

Continue your routine of exercise, logging weighing your solids etc.

As for what I do with my extra calories...I have added in more carbs, more ice cream, more bacon.

I don't agree with this at all
    While your adjusting, don't forget that after you've changed your lifestyle that it doesn't mean you "get" to add just any food back to your diet. Maintain the healthy choices you've made. Remember to continue to eat fresh foods high in fiber, continue to eat healthy protein that isn't saturated in fats. Continue to stay away from treats and keep all those treats in moderation. When you add calories back to your weight management plan, be sure they are healthy foods that have healthy fat such as avocadoes or olives not deep fried fats and empty calorie starches. Do not expand your meals and meal size, add an extra snack that has the calories you need to adjust for.

or this
    I have 8lbs before maintenance so at the 10lb mark I switched from lose 2lbs per week to 1.5... when I have 5lbs left I'll do 1lb a week and so on until I'm at maintenance

As long as you weigh and log accurately you can use your "extra" calories for whatever you want. My meals are pretty much the same as they ever were because those meals satisfy me...so why not add in extra treats, such as ice cream or the extra slice of bacon or an extra long island ice tea...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I manually changed to 1/2 pound a week and stuck with that. I was going to see what happened with my weight. It's stable. I'm not hungry. I've stuck with that for a year.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I went on maintenance a week or two ago by manually changing my info. I went from 1200 calories to 1540 calories. I have since lost 2 pounds but I think I am where I am suppose to be.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    This
    tumblr_mkse3mFRV41qhub34o1_400.gif
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For maintaining your goal weight you have to continue with healthy foods. If you again start oily or greasy food after weight loss, then it will not take more than one month to get in previous position. :) You have to make sure you are taking the required calory. Continue with your exercise or walk. Drink green tea or lemon tea.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Once you change it to maintain, MFP tells you how many calories approximately you can eat on maintenance.

Remember, it's all approximate. I decided to manually change mine and up my calories. I also eat back my "exercise" calories. No problems.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can maintain your weight (or lose, if you want) eating whatever you want - a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. Foods with grease and oil in them usually contain MORE calories per weight than nice, leafy green veggies, but there's no reason you can't have fries or a hamburger if you want them. Sheesh.

MANY people continue to log all their foods even after reaching maintenance. I plan on doing this. Once you reach your desired weight, change your settings in MFP to 'maintain' rather than lose, then eat the number of calories it tells you to. :) You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can maintain your weight (or lose, if you want) eating whatever you want - a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. Foods with grease and oil in them usually contain MORE calories per weight than nice, leafy green veggies, but there's no reason you can't have fries or a hamburger if you want them. Sheesh.

MANY people continue to log all their foods even after reaching maintenance. I plan on doing this. Once you reach your desired weight, change your settings in MFP to 'maintain' rather than lose, then eat the number of calories it tells you to. :) You can do it. :flowerforyou:

Definately this
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    For maintaining your goal weight you have to continue with healthy foods. If you again start oily or greasy food after weight loss, then it will not take more than one month to get in previous position. :) You have to make sure you are taking the required calory. Continue with your exercise or walk. Drink green tea or lemon tea.
    You can eat whatever you want to maintain as long as you stay within your calorie goals. It's also not necessary to drink tea. Just keep up the habits you have learned losing weight, slowly up calories, and stop when you are able to stay within a weight range.
  • cybrkitn
    cybrkitn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful answers!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal weight MFP changed my weight loss goal to maintain on it's own.

As for the rest here are the common suggestions.

When you are 10-15lbs from goal weight change your goal to 1/2lb a week. This allows for more calories naturally. 1lb a week with 10lbs is too agressive.

The process is called reverse dieting. When you are at goal weight you start adding 50-100 calories a day per week and watch your weight. You keep doing this until you stop losing or gain...then you know your maitenance estimate.

Allow yourself a range for maitenance, for example my goal weight was 155 and I set my weight loss goal to 1/2lb a week at 10lbs. When I hit maitenance I start adding in calories 50 a day I am currently eating 1950 but still losing weight. So I am down to about 153 (which is fine as I set a range of 5lbs for myself.) my maitenance is about 2100 so I will be there by the end of June.

Continue your routine of exercise, logging weighing your solids etc.

As for what I do with my extra calories...I have added in more carbs, more ice cream, more bacon.

I don't agree with this at all

or this
    I have 8lbs before maintenance so at the 10lb mark I switched from lose 2lbs per week to 1.5... when I have 5lbs left I'll do 1lb a week and so on until I'm at maintenance

As long as you weigh and log accurately you can use your "extra" calories for whatever you want. My meals are pretty much the same as they ever were because those meals satisfy me...so why not add in extra treats, such as ice cream or the extra slice of bacon or an extra long island ice tea...

Pretty much all of this.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options

This makes big sense to me. As I move towards maintenance I realised that I have been on a food plan that I like and find satisfying - so why throw it out. I am using the extra cals for foods that I like/treats. I also like routine - so eating similar or same foods work for me with treats on top for the extra cals.