wheat pasta venting!

Options
I had wheat pasta last night instead of white pasta because it's better for me. I ate the whole bowl, consumed a bunch of calories, and didn't enjoy one bite! From here on out I will only eat white pasta. I will eat less of it and I will eat it less often but I'm not going to keep pretending I like wheat pasta when I don't. It's not worth the calories to me!

I feel better having gotten that off my chest, lol.

Replies

• traceysturn
    Options
    I could not agree more!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Tis what I did lol!!! There's just something about that wheat pasta that doesn't mesh well with sauce, especially Marinara. I have no idea what it is, but either way, I totally agree with you lol!!!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've tried to like wheat pasta, but the texture is off. I'm not a fan.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to eat what really tastes good and that you enjoy. I do find though that my tastes have changed over time. Some healthier foods that didn't taste very good in the beginning have grown on me.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Tis what I did lol!!! There's just something about that wheat pasta that doesn't mesh well with sauce, especially Marinara. I have no idea what it is, but either way, I totally agree with you lol!!!

Exactly, and congrats on your 10lb mark today!!!!
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    have you ever tried a pasta called Dreamfields? It is amazing
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice pasta!
  • mrscourter2010
    Options
    I totally TOTALLY agree. All the light or fat free stuff......some of it I can handle, but stuff like cheese I cannot handle. It doesn't melt and it's not worth the calories AT ALL. I would rather have a light sprinkle of real cheddar than a cup of crap. :D Keep going!
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I actually love wheat pasta. I add so many good things to eat that I can't really taste the difference.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Have you played around with different brands? I try not to eat a lot of pasta, but I don't mind it, nor does my picky hubby. I usually buy the Healhy Harvest - Ronzoni I think.

I will say you have to be careful when you cook it. It goes from al dente to mushy quite quickly and does not do well in the freezer (most pastas don't, but whole wheat is awful!).
  • luvmy3kidz
    Options
    I fixed whole wheat spaghetti and it was such a delight for me and my family. I think the subtle taste allowed us to enjoy all of the veggies and turkey more. If you don't already, you may want to cook your pasta in the sauce for about 10+ minutes instead of pouring sauce or topping on top of it.

I feel like another world has opened for me since realizing that pasta is still possible.

Best of luck!
  • minervasp73
    Options
    try the Whole Foods 365 brand whole wheat shells. You have to boil them for 15 minutes but I've been mixing them with chili and it's awesome! The husband is loving it too.

Definitely agree with the poster above - don't just pour the sauce on, cook it in!

I know what you mean about ww pasta. Other kinds just don't taste right !!
  • HoagKimberly
    Options
    I'm with you on the wheat pasta! Is disgusting and very grainy. I eat the Ronzoni Garden Pasta, it has veggies right in the pasta and tastes as good as normal white pasta does! There are only 10 more calories but less fiber than the wheat pasta has. However it is still lower in calories and higher in fiber than white pasta! If you go to the Ronzoni website you can get a coupon!
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I cant tell the difference! I have only tried wheat spaghetti so far though. My hubby didnt care for it, but he ate it anyways!!
  • gcruz1003
    Options
    You guysssss I love wheat pasta. I personally don't taste anything different about it . It taste like regular pasta to me lol I think maybe it takes time to get used to if it's something so new to you. Once your palette get's used to it .. it will be fine.It could be also the brand you had try another brand to see if it's the same thing. I made a Seafood Paste with Wheat Linguine and it was wonderful! And Also last week I made a White chicken Wheat Spaghetti and it was the best. Anyhoot I hope you give it another try =]
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on the brand and type of pasta. But if you don't like it then don't eat it of course! Whole wheat pasta (or whole grain anything) is "better" for you in terms of nutrients, but it usually doesn't have fewer calories if you're comparing equal serving sizes. I just eat wheat to get more fiber and less sugar, not to mention all the minerals. Also you can't just substitute wheat pasta for any old dish or the flavor might not be what you're used to, which may be why you're turned off. I eat whole wheat spaghetti with ground buffalo meat and tomato/mushroom sauce and the richer wheat pasta taste sets it off beautifully.
  • clairebair
    Options
    hi iam new -how did u write in your goals ?
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Brown rice pasta is an excellent suggestion.

And do a 25/75, then 50/50, then 72/25, then 100 percent switchover... (and take your time slowly)

BUT, I totally understand... your diet needs to be realistic for you. Maybe this is something you can change up in the future, maybe never.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I highly encourage you to give whole-wheat pastas another try. I've read that you really have to eat a new food multiple times (up to 10!) to let your brain and taste buds adjust. Try other brands of pasta - there are brands that mix whole grain with white - this may be a good bridge to help you transition from white to whole grain pasta.

The reason whole-wheat is better for you is that they use the whole kernel of wheat - not only the endosperm, but the bran and the germ as well. This gives you more fiber and more nutrients and is less processed. Here are a few great links about eating whole-grains:

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/essential-ingredients/whole-grain-pastas-00400000001170/ (shorter, summary article)
    http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html (longer article - lots of good info, a little older - 1997)
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=66 (also long - lots of good info)
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and agree with you up to a point. however Ronzoni has a great healthier pasta called Smart Taste. it's in a purple box. I really can't tell the difference. But i agree if it comes down to regular whole wheat pasta vs. regular pasta. Give me the regular!