Treadmill Workout anyone?

Options
I love using the treadmill. Has anyone loss weight using the treadmill? If so, any advice. I just started excercising again today.

Replies

• StephanieMM717
    Options
    I set my treadmill at an incline (5.5 on my machine) at about 3-3.5 mph and read a book. I can burn 200+ calories in a half hour.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do a 3 mile speed interval workout on the treadmill. I like it alot.
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also do the incline 5-6 and around 3.5. I have my music set and go with whatever beat my workout songs have. I also have my hand weights handy and if I get super stoked with a great song, I lift my hand weights for an extra calorie boost. I am so glad I can treadmill alone downstairs, because if someone came in and saw me lipsinging and jammin' while climbing an incline and lifting weights....:)

I also love the book idea, I might try that when I don't feel like being super peppy.
  • bjralls
    Options
    I know this may be a silly question but....

How do you keep your book open? I have tried several things but the pages always flip while I'm reading them. Or if I manage to get them to stay then it's a pain to turn the page. I would just hold the book but I don't walk smoothly enough and it tends to bounce around. :laugh:

Just wondered if some one else had come up with anything better than I have.

Thanks!
  • Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I have been working out on a treadmill for 12 years and I love it. You will definitely see resutls using a treadmill as long as you are managing the other parts of your diet. 12 years ago I started off by walking for 20 minutes (walk at a speed at which you could have a conversation, but rather not; I walked at 3.5). Up until today, I was putting in 100 minutes in the morning and 30-60minutes in the evening. I have now reach my weight goal and now trying to maintain so now, I am running for an hour at 5.5-6.0 mph. Its a good form of exercising. Good luck on your journey. I would suggest alternating some days with another form of exercise to keep from getting board. Maybe step aerobics, aerobics, or an elloptical...
  • Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sorry I meant elliptical
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Great advise!! Thanks
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do on a treadmill or ollipitcal is to interval train. walk 1 mile then run 1 mile. if you can't run a mile then slow walk 1/4 qtr mile then jog 1/4 mile and go back and forth. Suppose to burn the most fat. I wouldn't recommend just doing 1 pace the entire time your walk/jog/run

Empty stomach early morning is the best time to do it, burning the most fat at that time.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Thanks Mfredo. I will take your advice.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When I use the treadmill, I watch TV and listen to fast music on my ipod! You don't pay attention to TIME nor the WORK OUT! I suggest those! Also I run on the commercials and walk at 3.5 during the actual show OR vice versa! Hope that helps! :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • blazin_j
    Options
    I've been using the treadmill daily for about 5 weeks and I love it. Along with improving my diet I have dropped 11 pounds so far (185 to 174). I listen to music to pass the time and to entertain myself. I set the incline to 6 degrees when walking 4 mph and 8 degrees when walking 3.6 mph. I don't run or jog on the treadmill because all the impact is hard on my joints, so I make up for it by walking longer. I am now doing 90-120 minutes per day. At 1 hour, I burn 550 calories, but by 2 hours I burn 1200 calories.

Although my treadmill inclines all the way up to 15 degrees, I no longer go higher than 8 degrees. I found myself "hanging on" and I believe this can reduce the intensity of your workout (i.e., calories burned). I can go up to 8 degrees comfortably without holding onto the handles and only grab them briefly for balance.

Many treadmills provide a count of calories burned, but I've found those counts to be greatly exaggerated. I purchased a HR monitor which counts calories burned and now that gives me a much more accurate count.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Thank you nishwise. It helped.