acai berry supplement

Options
does anyone take these?? im not expecting them to be a major thing in dieting iv heard they can make you lose weight i dont believe it but i know they also have alot of other benefits for your health which is mainly the reason im taking them,

has anyone taken these expecting to lose weight and did it help with the weight loss?

Replies

• blazin_j
    Options
    I take them (2 tablets daily), but not for weight loss. I'm not sure just taking a supplement will make much of a difference in losing weight. I've read the ads making those claims, but I would be wary of any quick fixes. Usually the people or companies making those claims have a financially motivated interest. Losing weight is more about proper nutrition and exercise, plain and simple.

I take them because they are supposedly good antioxidents. Even that is an unproven claim, but acai is natural, not synthetic, and I have experienced no adverse side effects, so I see no harm in taking them, only an upside.
  • KenzieKidwell
    KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was going to try them last year. Unfortunatly, when I tried to get them I ended up getting them from an online scam and I was too concerned with blocking my accounts and getting some money back to notice what they did. I am very interested though... let me know how it works for you!
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i will do add me as a friend if you like, i bought mine from ebay can get some good deals on there price wise.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There's been a lot of articles recently about the supposed weight loss properties of acai berries being a scam. However, they are very good for you and contain a lot of antioxidants and nutrients, so it definately won't hurt you if you decide to take them. Just don't expect a huge weight loss because of it.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Scam. When you have to aggressively advertise because the product cannot sell on its own merits, it does not work. Their strategy is to be everywhere to give the illusion that it is popular and works. If you want to know some suppliments that do work p.m. me and I will be happy to list them. They are not exiting by any means but they will help you drop the weight. But only if diet and cardio is strong.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Most of the acai berry "supplements" are laxatives. Save your money and eat prunes.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    They are on offer in Holland and Barrett and I was considering giving them a go. My only issue is when I look at the reviews they seem to all be the same - making me feel that it might be distributors writing the reviews.

As they are on offer I will give them a go - cant hurt can it?
  • jptmemphis
    jptmemphis Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not being smart or curt but ....

The is no easy way to lose weight.
    * Eat less.
    * Eat the right foods.
    * Exercise.

What are good supplements?
    * Rid your house of bad foods.
    * Only buy good foods.
    * Plan your meals.
    * Follow your plan.
    * Log what you eat.
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options

* Eat less.
    * Eat the right foods.
    * Exercise.

* Only buy good foods.
    * Plan your meals.
    * Follow your plan.
    * Log what you eat.

While I agree with you on all your points - supplements can really help people.

Even if all that happens is a placebo effect, making the person believe they have the power of a miracle supplement behind them and therefore trying harder - it does have an effect.
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

* Eat less.
    * Eat the right foods.
    * Exercise.

* Only buy good foods.
    * Plan your meals.
    * Follow your plan.
    * Log what you eat.

as i did say before i dont believe that they do help against weight loss i just wanted to see what people's opinions are on it.
    i do being however they benefit people in other ways,
    and i also agree with hovis if people take them believing they may be able to lose weight while taking them (i.e the placebo effect) then i cant see it doing any harm.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    No harm except if you buy these Acai berry "supplements" you're giving money to frauds! that would stop me right there.

No proof it helps with any sort of weight loss...and companies who sell it cheat their customers regularly by scamming their credit cards.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    “There are no magical berries from the Brazilian rainforest that cure obesity—only painfully real credit card charges and empty weight loss promises,” said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal. “Aggressive Acai berry pitches on the Internet entice countless consumers into free trials promising weight loss, energy and detoxification. These claims are based on folklore, traditional remedies and outright fabrications—unproven by real scientific evidence. In reality, consumers lose more money than weight after free trials transition into inescapable charges. We will investigate these allegedly misleading or deceptive nutrition and health claims and take action under our consumer protection statutes—as we have done with other food products.”

read more:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=2959
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    and it's not even the best in its class:

“ PJ (pomegranate juice) had the greatest antioxidant potency composite index among the beverages tested and was at least 20% greater than any of the other beverages tested. Antioxidant potency, ability to inhibit LDL oxidation, and total polyphenol content were consistent in classifying the antioxidant capacity of the polyphenol-rich beverages in the following order: PJ>red wine>Concord grape juice>blueberry juice>black cherry juice, açaí juice, cranberry juice>orange juice, iced tea beverages, apple juice. Although in vitro antioxidant potency does not prove in vivo biological activity, there is also consistent clinical evidence of antioxidant potency for the most potent beverages including both PJ and red wine.”

that is a list of antioxidant rich beverages in the order of most to least rich:
    - pomegranate juice
    - red wine
    - concord grape juice
    - blueberry juice
    - black cherry juice

then

- acai