No matter what I do, I can't lose weight/inches

Options

Replies

• sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    Sounds like you're willing to try calorie counting, which is great! Make sure you weigh everything to get the most accuracy. Especially high calorie stuff like avocados, oil, PB, etc... I think once you start weighing and counting, you'll see results. Good luck!
  • niki108
    niki108 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    At the very least OP you should endevour to count your calories for at least a month and get some idea of what level you are eating at. It would be best to continue counting throughout your weight loss but if you really hate doing that at least counting for the first month will help give you a feel for the caloric content of foods and allow you to learn how to eat within your goal.
    I don't hate counting calories. I am willing to try it. I just wanted to hear opinions first

Well, you are on a calorie counting website. Our opinion will probably be that you should count calories. :wink: :happy:

I hope you don't think we're attacking you, either. I honestly want people to be successful, and as such will recommend a sustainable calorie amount and that you incorporate your favorite foods into your diet. Counting calories gives you the opportunity to work those treats in.
    Not at all :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    BTW, meant to compliment you on ditching fast food, Starbucks and processed foods. That's a huge accomplishment right there. Old habits die hard and you've put them to bed quite nicely!
  • Vaidyanatha
    Options
    You might consider reassessing how many containers to eat without exercise. Sometimes I think we allow to much for eating back calories, especially when we go on averages of calories we probably burn instead of having a calorie monitor with us. For example, if it said eat x amount of containers if you are are active try reducing it and saying you are moderately active or even sedentary. You might just need to find a better balance. I would for sure count calories and add your exercise in with this as well to help you see where the balance needed is. Also, I know those containers are based on "whole foods" so for example chicken salad filling while a protein also has fat because of the mayo so using it as a protein and not taking that into account would mess things up.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Containers are kind of like measuring cups... you can pack them lightly or to the brim and that will affect how mnay calories you are eating. Also, as previously stated, not all proteins, veggies and fruits have the same caloric content.

I started my lifestyle change just eating from a list of foods of healthy foods. 2 weeks in, I had lost maybe 2 oz. I started weighing and measuring EVERYTHING and started counting calories with my MFP deficit and started losing weight. It was very eye-opening as what I discovered was that I no longer had the faintest idea what a serving of anything really was

If you keep track of your calories for a couple weeks, you will get a good idea of what you are currently eating and can then cut 10-20
    % of your calories to start losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • niki108
    Options
    BTW, meant to compliment you on ditching fast food, Starbucks and processed foods. That's a huge accomplishment right there. Old habits die hard and you've put them to bed quite nicely!
    Thank you. I'm quite shocked how easily I gave it up and don't have very many cravings because I've tried before and it was the hardest thing for me.
  • emartin949
    emartin949 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did some calculations based on averages and your food allowance listings, and it's more than likely that you're either eating close to or slightly over 1,800-2,000 calories a day. That's all well and good, but I'm not sure how many calories you're burning through exercise. If you want to lose weight, there needs to be a deficit- and the larger the deficit, the larger the loss (within healthy limits, of course). I'm so glad that you're fueling your body with healthy foods and hydration, but accurately measuring and logging your foods probably needs to be the first step.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Niki - Congrats on taking the first steps in cleaning up the diet. If you don't want to completely ditch your 21-day program, start my simply logging those foods into MFP. It may be eye opening for you. I know from experience that depending on the foods selected, the calorie counts can vary emormously. For example, a 6 oz ribeye steak (a protein) will contain a ton more calories than 6 oz of chicken breast (no skin). This are probably both counted as just one protein under your current program. With consistent and accurate logging of each food item, you will soon learn (and enjoy learning) more about the quality of the foods you consume even if they might all, metaphorically speaking, be considered "healthy." Best wishes for success!
  • niki108
    Options
    Thank you. That's very helpful.
    And thanks to everyone else for your advice!
  • niki108
    Options
    I did some calculations based on averages and your food allowance listings, and it's more than likely that you're either eating close to or slightly over 1,800-2,000 calories a day. That's all well and good, but I'm not sure how many calories you're burning through exercise. If you want to lose weight, there needs to be a deficit- and the larger the deficit, the larger the loss (within healthy limits, of course). I'm so glad that you're fueling your body with healthy foods and hydration, but accurately measuring and logging your foods probably needs to be the first step.
    Yes that's correct! This the calculation they give us:
    Your current weight in lbs x11 = your caloric baseline.
    Your caloric baseline +400 (fix calorie burn)= your caloric needs.
    Your caloric needs -750 (calorie deficit) = your calorie target. Mine came out to like 1894ish and the bracket I was in was 1800-2099.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

I would have if I had ever remembered to bookmark it. I wonder if Grace would mind if I saved her very helpful link list and started using it? :laugh:

OP, Read the thread Amber posted - it is full of awesome :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use a food scale:smile:

Weighing a serving of cereal or peanut butter for example is way more accurate that using tablespoons or cups.:drinker:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Based on the stats in your first post of this thread, your BMR is 1702. Total daily burn would be approximately 2340 for lightly active + cardio/exercise calories burned. So if you ARE lightly active, and want a 750 deficit then eating 1590 + some of your exercise calories should average about 1.5 pounds per week loss.

I'm not sure of your activity level, or how much you exercise of course. But if you're sedentary & don't exercise - that would be part of the problem. Using a bad formula to derive your goal. Sedentary would use only about 2040 per day.
    Yes that's correct! This the calculation they give us:
    Your current weight in lbs x11 = your caloric baseline.
    Your caloric baseline +400 (fix calorie burn)= your caloric needs.
    Your caloric needs -750 (calorie deficit) = your calorie target. Mine came out to like 1894ish and the bracket I was in was 1800-2099.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I measured out my oils. And the protein cup is 3/4 cup or 6 oz. they also included cottage cheese and Greek yogurt in the list of proteins. Not sure if that's normal. But I know I was eating it daily as well as PB and avocado. But anyways...I will stop with the 21 day fix and start counting calories

you can probably do both. esp if the current program helps you to dole out the right portion. just log what's in the containers.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: No matter what I do, I can't lose weight/inches
    I am not tracking my calorie intake.

lolz
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am not tracking my calorie intake. I was actually on the 21 day fix plan (healthy eating and portion control containers) for 10 days so there wasn't a need to count them. the calories that I'm allowed does take into consideration the daily workouts that came with the program. I don't do any other exercises.
    Your diary is empty. To make sure you are eating the right amount, you need to track. If you are not losing, you are still eating too much. Start tracking everything you eat.
  • niki108
    Options

lolz
    Because that's sooo funny. I came on here for advice not to be laughed at. I've tried several things to lose weight. No I have not tried weighing food and counting calories yet. Get a life
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

lolz
    Because that's sooo funny. I came on here for advice not to be laughed at. I've tried several things to lose weight. No I have not tried weighing food and counting calories yet. Get a life

Well, it kind of is. You say "no matter what I do" but you haven't really tried much.

And you're saying "no matter what I do" on a calorie counting site when you haven't even tried calorie counting.

So.......
  • niki108
    Options

lolz

Well, it kind of is. You say "no matter what I do" but you haven't really tried much.

And you're saying "no matter what I do" on a calorie counting site when you haven't even tried calorie counting.

So.......

Well my bad for not being so specific. I have tried many things. No I didn't list them all. I don't need to sit here and tell my life story. Again, I came on the site asking for advice. I have never counted calories before but that's another reason why I came here. Duh!