Ideal Weight for 6 foot 3 man?

Options
I weighed 160 at age 18 with no muscle and looked too thin. Now I am 42 and started my diet 3 months ago weighing 255 with a goal of 199 by Labor day in Sept. I am proud to report I am at 226.6 now which is tracking very close to my goal. Ultimately I just want to look good in a pair of jeans and a tshirt with a muscular look - far from a body builder tho. Some say at 6'3" 199 is too high and 170-190 is ideal.

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have no answer for your question but I now have the Buckwheat Sings commercial stuck in my head from your awesome screen name.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and my goal weight is 210 (my high school weight). According to the BMI calculator that's technically still obese. I think it depends on your muscle mass, personal preference, and any other health concerns that a doctor may have.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1'' and I'm aiming for 196 as I have a big build so I reckon anything under 14 stone might make me look a bit silly. I guess do all of your strength exercises while losing and eventually around the 190-200 mark you'll know how far you have left.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your build. If you're a marathon runner body type, you'll probably be in the 170-185 area. If you've got more muscle on you, I've had boyfriends that were very solidly built but not huge linebacker types and lowish body fat (15% or less) that fell into the 195-210 range at 6'3". People usually thought they weighed less as they were low in body fat, but muscle weighs a ton.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4" and my goal weight is 210 (my high school weight). According to the BMI calculator that's technically still obese. I think it depends on your muscle mass, personal preference, and any other health concerns that a doctor may have.

Actually that would only put you just over healthy at the bottom of overweight, not near the obese. Obese is >30 your goal BMI would be 25.6
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My brother is 6 3" and I would say his weight fluctuates between 190 and 210, depending on what "type" of body you're aiming for, and the genetics you already have.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'3 and I have a large frame. Doc suggested 180-190 range but that's not happening. I am shooting for the 200-220 range with muscle.
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I may have a different opinion than others but 6'3 at 200lbs sounds pretty darn attractive to me, especially if you are working out somewhat <3
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to look decently muscular and not overly fat in a shirt, you should be tracking body fat % much more closely than just weight. Shoot for 14-15% body fat - nobody can say what weight that'll be for you as it depends on lean body mass.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and I am 225lbs .. My goal is 215ish ..
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My fiance is 6'3" with broad shoulders. Currently, he weighs around 225. When I met him 3 years ago, he was working out every day, had the six pack, etc. and weighed 213.
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    I am 6'3" and I am finding that between 195-200 looks really good on me.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I am 6'2" and my "ideal" weight for me is between 190 and 195. I can go up to 200 and still look okay.

Your "ideal" is how you look and feel at the weight you want to be.

Based on the charts to be in the middle of the healthy BMI my weight is supposed to be 172 -- no way!!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I may have a different opinion than others but 6'3 at 200lbs sounds pretty darn attractive to me, especially if you are working out somewhat <3

Thanks! I am already getting comments from my wife's friends and I am at 227. Maybe they are just being nice. Another 27-32 lbs lost and I will be very very happy. Just wish it could come over night.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There isn't a single person here who can answer that question for you.

Keep losing weight until you look in the mirror (or in your case a t-shirt and jeans) like you're hoping to.

Congrats, you've reached your present ideal weight. Said "ideal" weight could change with increase, or decrease, in muscle mass, fitness goals, or any other number of variables.

It's hard to shoot for a specific weight. Nice to have a goal in mind, but you really should be opening to shifting it. A lot of people reach their goal weight and are shocked to discover that they still have too much fat on their frame and can cut lower.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame, I guess. My husband weighted around the same as your in high school and he was mocked all the time because he looked way too skinny. Now he weights around 190 with decent amoutn of muscle, looks awesome to me but definitely not Tony Horton. :)