Knees hurt when I jog! Solutions?

Options
When I jog it tends to be a 4 mile run followed by burpy jumping jacks!
Problem is my knees hurt alot afterwards!
Im in pretty good shape and not overweight (thanks to myfitnesspal and swimming) .
Is there a solution to the pain in the knees? Knee braces?

Replies

• ChloC97
    ChloC97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My knee's were pretty sore when I started running, I got gait analysis and fitted for new trainers - it turned out i was rolling inwards on my arch. That was about a year ago and my knee's haven't hurt since. It might be worth a try?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Foam roll, stretch more, consider new shoes, check your running form, consider some resistance training to strengthen your knees.
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting fitted for proper shoes and insoles before you get a knee brace.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Or don't run. I'm a creaky middle aged person. I've tried running -- the heart and lungs can take it, but the rest of the body just can't. I finally came to the reluctant conclusion that running in my circumstances was asking for injury problems, and that I needed to stick to walking. So, that's what I do. I walk an average of 25-30 miles per week at a rate of about 4.5 mph. I try to manage some kind of elevation gain/incline for most of that as well. Takes more time for the same calorie burn and heart rate effect as running, but I get there ... without banging up my creaky joints and degenerating discs in my neck and back any further.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Im in pretty good shape and not overweight (thanks to myfitnesspal and swimming) .
    My guess is it's the burpy and jumping jacks post run that are more likely to be causing the problem than the running. Stop doing them immediately post run for a week or so and see if there's any difference If there is then that's the problem. If not them look at your shoes that's the most likely culprit
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    #1 is always the shoes. Have you been to a running specialty store and properly fitted for shoes? That's likely the issue.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Burpees are much harder on your knees than running, impact-wise. I would save them for non-running days. Also, what kind of shoes do you run in? Were they professionally fitted?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is there a solution to the pain in the knees?

It does depend on the cause, but as upthread I'd suggest shoes as a potential culprit. Equally, try avoiding the burpees for a week and see how it goes.

I regularly do some bodyweight training after running a short distance like that, but generally wouldn't do much on my legs, except box jumps, tending to focus on upper body and core.
    Knee braces?

No. If there is an alignment problem then this would only exacerbate it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Don't jog. :)

Seriously though. How old are your shoes an dare you a heel striker or toe striker?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Knee pain is never good. Try just the run one day to see if you can isolate the exercise that's causing the problem.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing any kind of supports? I would say see a doctor about it and then look into getting flexible support braces (they're usually neoprene and very flexible) to maybe ease the pain. If any part of your body hurts from a sustained movement with any kind of regularity, you should have it checked before you really hurt yourself. Blowing a knee is bad business.

ETA: And your shoes. You can get fitted for custom Orthotics at most chiropractors. They're expensive, but holy bajeezus are they comfortable and they make ALL the difference.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Running form! Make sure you aren't hitting the ground with your heels, aim for the balls of your feet of the middle of your foot when you land. Correcting my running form solved 80% of my knee problems, the rest was making sure I got good running shoes. :) Don't run in your floppy old Converse that you mow the lawn in, get some nice running shoes!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you get new shoes and/or your gait analyzed and still have pain, you might consider a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I can barely walk without it but run 9-12 miles a week with no problems if I'm taking it. Also, squats will strengthen the muscles around your knee and help stabilize the joint. Good luck!
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a 43 year old Female ...who is overweight yet I've been trying to implement jogging into my daily walks.

I started stretching and propping my knee up in the evenings or during the work day and 800mg ibuprofen.

Actually, I went to the Clinic on yesterday for sinus issues and decided to talk to the NP about my knee pain.

She had an x-ray done and found out that I have a lot of joint space (not bone to bone rub as of yet) but the fillers are wearing thin.

The NP recommended I take Glucosamine for joint relief and drink Black Cherry Juice (which helps with joints and inflammation). She also suggested I put ice on the knee immediately after walking (I didn't tell her I try jogging) only about 4 minutes of my 30/40 minute walking routine!

My Mother suggested I stop the jogging/running altogether less I cause worse injury to the knee. I'm really do not want to but as one responders replied....it's in my (our) best interest!

You may want to stop the burpee's and running all together....OR at least get the pain gone for awhile before resuming either!
    I agree with another responder on alternating the days in which you jog/run and do burpee's---which they are very abrasive though a great total body workout---for which I love them! The pain is why I do not do burpee's.....just can't take that pain.

~GRACIOUSLY AGING~FIT~FABULOUS~
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How often are you doing this running/burpee combo? Are you allowing your knees at least a day of rest between sessions? If not, that could be part of the problem.

I second the suggestions to cut the burpees for a week or so and just stick to jogging every other day. See if your knees continue to hurt. If so, then you know it's time to look at the shoe situation. Either way, I personally wouldn't do them both together. If you're relatively new to running I wouldn't do them both, even alternating days, for awhile. You should not do high impact activities between running days when you're new to running. You need to give your shins and joints time to adjust to the new demands.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Gait Assessment. Specifically one by a trained physio therapist. Mine actually video tapes you while you are on a treadmill and breaks down your entire stride (from head to toe). It shows you if you pronate, supinate or are a neutral runner. Its if you are a forefoot runner or a heel striker. Once you understand what it is you are doing, what you are doing wrong, you can then find a way to fix it.

Fixing it may require different shoes, orthotics, exercises or a change in your running style.

For me, I needed to change my running style from heel striking to forefoot and also needed to fix an inward hook in my left arm. Best $75 I ever spend on running... I can now buy the right shoes, do the right things and run pain free.

That being said...we are all different and only a qualified person should be giving you the advice you need. Hope this helps!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Double post. :grumble:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you like running & can't get past the knee pain....... look into rebounding. You could jog on a mini-trampoline (low impact). Not the same as outdoor running, but something to think about.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    This MFP Community is great! Thanks for all the responses.

From your responses I realised that I do run with all my weight on my heels and I decided to change my running style with my run yesterday! So I tried to run with the weight being borne by the front/ mid section of the foot!

What a change it made!!! Much less impact on the knees and much faster too. I was able to shave off 3 minutes.

I decided also to hold off on the Burpee Jumping Jacks and gauge the situation and I did some this morning instead without the run! May do a swim later!

I also noted the comments on the shoes, and when I am able to, will look into having fitted running shoes!

Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like I may not have to give up running altogether after all and it goes well with my swimming!

:-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    From your responses I realised that I do run with all my weight on my heels and I decided to change my running style with my run yesterday! So I tried to run with the weight being borne by the front/ mid section of the foot!

Good

In terms of taking that forward, a way to reinforce a midfoot landing style is to increase your cadence. One way to do that is to listen to music that's set to an appropriate BPM, then run in time with that.