Eating Disorder Advice?

Options
Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl and I fear I've had a eating disorder for a long time. I'm constantly thinking about food, what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to eat it. I count calories obsessively, and I have for a year or two. It's gotten to the point where even when I try so hard to stop I can't, because I've memorized the amount of calories in everything, from a slice of pizza to a grape. I'm average size, 5'5 and 125 pounds, but no matter how hard I try to convince myself I shouldn't diet because I'm still growing, my mind can only dwell on the fact that I look like a whale. I have nobody to talk to about it, my mom gets extremely angry whenever I bring it up and says I can stop whenever I want to but I CAN'T. My brain won't let me, and I've tried so hard. She won't let me get help. I go through periods where I eat very very little or nothing (which is usually on the weekdays), but I end up eating a lot on the weekends. I know it's because of my restriction but I have no idea how to eat like a normal 15 year old. I don't know how to drop down to 110 pounds by eating a normal amount of calories. I don't even know how many calories I should eat. My entire life is calories and I'm SICK of it, but it's like a horrible addiction. I'm not asking for sympathy or attention, I honestly just have nowhere else to go for advice. I want to get better so bad, but I have no idea how. Thank you for listening.

Replies

• Short_n_Plump
    Options
    I'm sorry but you aren't supposed to be here..
    18+
    Edit: Get some help from a doctor
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm a 19 year old Nutritional Science student who is also an intern at a peer-education group that promotes awareness of eating disorders. I have many friends with eating disorders and many friends who are Registered Dietitian's that work with patients with eating disorders.

First, I'd like to say congratulations for wanting help. Regardless of what form you are seeking out help, writing this post is a big deal and I'm so happy you had the courage to write it as well as try to speak out to your mom.

Second, I'm not diagnosing you, but it seems you do have a problem. I've been in your shoes before, and it's heartbreaking and terrifying that your mother is not responding well to your pleas. Just understand, something like this is not easy for parents to understand, especially because they come from a different generation where things like this weren't talked about.

Third, I think you need outside help. Not from this website, online sources, etc. You need professional help before it's too late. Trust me, I've had many friends who could've sought help much before they did and their condition worsened to a VERY scary point. Getting professional help is very scary. So if you're not out of school yet, please see your guidance counselor in school this week and talk to them. It's not going to be easy, but I PROMISE you that once you get it over with you'll be on such a great path. If you tell your school's guidance counselor that the reason why you're seeing them is because you need help but aren't getting it from home etc. they will be able to hook you up with a professional mental health counselor that deals with eating disorders.

Please message me for more help/information. Or even if you need a friend to talk to. I've gone through this before with myself and friends, and understand how difficult of a process is, but I don't want to see another beautiful mind gone to waste because of such a horrible disorder.

xoxo best of luck and hope to see a reply!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    sparkteens.

Talk to your parents and call your doctor.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You are too young to be on this website. You need to speak to a trusted adult, parent, and/or professional.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Redacted, retracted
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    18+

all of the above!

Please get help. If your mother won't assist you in getting the proper help, try talking to a counselor at your school
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    18+

Excuse me ALL who are going to comment on her age... yes she is under the appropriate age to be here but the girl is looking for help. If her age is what you are worried about please do not bother adding your opinion.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Talk to your school guidance counselor
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Talk to your school guidance counselor

This is a great idea, especially since it seems like your parents aren't understanding the gravity of your situation. At the very least, your guidance counselor can help you speak with your parents about finding someone for you to talk to - be that a nutritionist, doctor, or therapist.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would say go to your guidance counselor if your parents can't or won't help, or to another trusted family member. If those are not options, there are hotlines and websites that might be able to help you out. Please get help.