I want to learn to like running!

Options

Replies

• MarliQQ
    MarliQQ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would say in the beginning you can even incorporate the baby, until you work your way up. I would put the baby in a stroller and get a little jog/walk going on, until it gets to be too easy. Probably be exciting for the baby too!
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    not pushing yourself too hard is good advice. i find that i get really excited about running when i make new playlist with fun, upbeat songs. it feels really good when you reach goals you set for yourself and it motivates you to keep going. i started running in march at 220 pounds at 5' 4". I was running 3 miles at a time within a week, but at 15 plus minutes per mile. 3 months later, i'm 198 and running an average pace of 12 minutes a mile!!! i never thought it would be something i would enjoy, but i love it. i'm proud of how far ive come, and that is my biggest motivater to continue setting goals, and crushing them!! also, i have a 4 and 2 year old! i run in the evening when my husband comes home. when my first child was 18 months, i used to run with her in the stroller. not a jogging stroller, a regular stroller. you dont need to spend the money on a fancy stroller!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    (First post ever!) I've really just been feeling out this site.. reading posts and learning. I walk everyday some times twice, but I really want to run. Not just to do it but to like it. In the past I've done sport and used to jog/run frequently but never really liked it too much. How can I make it more interesting so I can keep up with it and improve?

PS I have a hectic work schedule and a one year old too

I had both, in addition to a 2 1/2 year old.
    1. Get a Couch to 5k app.
    2. Join the Couch to 5k group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    3. Get fitted for shoes at a running store
    4. Go outside

Note: M&Ms consumed by toddlers in a jog stroller are considered health food.

I agree with all of this, especially the last part, except for us it's Cheerios :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It might be more difficult with your hectic schedule but see if you can find a running group. I've always found it more fun when I'm running with at least one other person. It also helps to keep you accountable. Barring that, find a fun 5K race in your area 4 or 5 months from now and set a goal. Sometimes knowing I have a big race coming up is the only thing that gets me out the door.

Never run on a treadmill. It's a joysucker.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a 5k! I just started running in March, and I've done 5 5k's so far this summer... and I love them! It sucks a little while you're doing it (why the hell am I doing this?!?! kind of feeling), but when you're done, it feels so great to know you did it! Having an event on the calendar keeps me going out for my runs during the week, and seeing my times improved at every race is such a high! I keep a running journal too (I'm a dork! :)) and I clip out sayings and pictures from running mags and post pics of myself in there.

My first 5K was April 26, I finished in 36 minutes.
    My times have improved significantly since then... 34 minutes, 31:30, 30:02 (I won my first medal this day! 3rd place in my age group!), 30:30- and this is what makes me really excited! The more I run, the more I love my body because of what it's actually capable of.

Just do it! You will be impressed with yourself and it will grow to be a mini-addiction! :) a healthy one...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I also suggest the C25K program. I also want to add that one of my friends just shared this with me the other day - she has been running for about two years and just now started to enjoy it. That's crazy to me. Two years doing something you don't enjoy, but doing it anyway because it's good for you. So just a little motivation for you, if you give it time and dedication and keep doing it, you'll eventually start to enjoy it. Or at least not hate it so much.
  • charlenerock
    Options
    Do you have a babyjogger? That was big for me when our daughter was that age and we got a lot of good father-daughter bonding with me pushing her on my runs. I'd try any starter/beginner running plan/app, e.g. Galloway Easy 5K. Jeff Galloway does run-walk-run systems. I use the Galloway marathon app on my phone. Good luck, have fun! Try to run when you can even if it's just a little here and a little there and build it over time.

I do not, BUT it was more because I felt my son was too small. Now that he's a bit older I would like to invest in one. Any good brands you would suggest?
  • HannaKathrin
    Options
    +1 for the Zombies, Run! 5k training! (I started with this as well....)

Also, I found that listening to podcasts helps to run at a slower pace. Personally, I enjoyed running with the "Two Gomers run for their lives" podcast .... Good luck!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Go s l o w! I think sometimes people start out trying to go too fast. Find a nice easy pace. Don't try for speed right now. Music helps too, as does beautiful scenery to run in,

that may be my problem I try to be fast and when I'm not good at it I start to lose interest in in :|
    Slow is definitely key when you're first starting out. If you're getting winded you need to slow down. :)

Keep it interesting by setting small goals for yourself. Completing C25K is a good first goal. After that set time goals or distance goals. I run/walk, always have, and have several half marathons under my belt. I push myself during training runs to increase my run intervals occasionally. So instead of running the whole thing at 5 minutes running and one walking I might do an 11 minute run and then go back to the 5:1 ratio. You can incorporate hills, run fartleks... there are a lot of ways to mix things up and keep running interesting.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dont they make a pill for this yet? :tongue:
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    www.jeffgalloway.com

This is a great place to learn about run/walk programs. This guy is a former elite distance runner and has trained runners for over 30 years. Check out his site.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You don't I have a love/hate relationship with running do it to eat & drink what I want & for accomplishments to say hey I did this & that while everyone else is getting fat & hate the work that goes into it :) in the end rather run than not.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started using Zombies, Run! I love it..the stories are interesting and you can collect items and build a base (I'm a gamer so that type of stuff is like drugs to me). They have a C25K version but I haven't tried that, I went straight to story missions. Nothing gets you more motivated than being chased by zombies!
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think most people have said what I would have said...

1. Plan to succeed... use a plan. C25K is a good one!
    2. Don't run for speed, run at a conversational pace and build slowly. You can train for speed, or you can train for endurance to start. Endurance will take you further to begin with. :p
    3. Find a group to run with... often running stores have group runs a couple of times per week. Running Room here in Canada has free group runs on Wednesdays and Sunday mornings.
    4. Schedule time for your run. Sometimes this needs a little buy in from the people around you... but once its on the schedule, it will help you feel better about doing it.
    5. Try signing up for a few shorter events (5 Km/10 Km runs) to give you a goal to run towards. People are more likely to continue running when they have a goal in sight.
    6. Can't stress the importance of having the right equipment. Proper shoes, socks and clothing is important. They prevent blisters and chafing and make your run more enjoyable. If you remember one thing about equipping... remember this COTTON IS ROTTEN! As cotton becomes damp, it becomes abrasive and leads to blisters and chafing. Go for the newer technical fabrics.
    7. Remember you are running for you and not against anyone. Keeping sight of the fact that Running is an individual sport, it is also has a social aspect. Embrace it and be prepared to meet some great people!

Cheers!
  • charlenerock
    Options
    Sign up for a 5k! I just started running in March, and I've done 5 5k's so far this summer... and I love them! It sucks a little while you're doing it (why the hell am I doing this?!?! kind of feeling), but when you're done, it feels so great to know you did it! Having an event on the calendar keeps me going out for my runs during the week, and seeing my times improved at every race is such a high! I keep a running journal too (I'm a dork! :)) and I clip out sayings and pictures from running mags and post pics of myself in there.

My first 5K was April 26, I finished in 36 minutes.
    My times have improved significantly since then... 34 minutes, 31:30, 30:02 (I won my first medal this day! 3rd place in my age group!), 30:30- and this is what makes me really excited! The more I run, the more I love my body because of what it's actually capable of.

Just do it! You will be impressed with yourself and it will grow to be a mini-addiction! :) a healthy one...

I've totally thought about doing it! I should look into it always been a goal of mine :)
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have only been running since March, I don't really know that I love it yet however... for me running is just a path to get to where I really want to be. I have found that I have more stamina for other things (like racquetball). It is just another building block on the path to making me the best me I can be.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I started running in Feb., all on the treadmill for the most part. I've finally gotten to the point where I can run for 10-15-20 min (maybe even longer), without a side ache (but I'm really, really slow, more like a walk for normal people). The side ache was my biggest obstacle, but now I'm hitting a mental block.

This is my thought process:

"How long have I been running already? Hmm, 20 minutes, not bad. I'm shooting for 60 minutes today, right? So that's 40 more minutes. Can I do 40 more minutes?I don't know if I can do 40 more minutes. Don't worry about it! Just focus on this minute. But It's 39 more minutes. That's like an entire episode of Game of Thrones, almost..." Until I break down and walk for 2 minutes and then start running again.

:mad:

If I can just quit playing the timing mind game, maybe I can start to enjoy it?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race with nice bling. that might make you like it. I love getting bling from races. and I started to run longer distances and training more. now I love running.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started running in Feb., all on the treadmill for the most part. I've finally gotten to the point where I can run for 10-15-20 min (maybe even longer), without a side ache (but I'm really, really slow, more like a walk for normal people). The side ache was my biggest obstacle, but now I'm hitting a mental block.

This is my thought process:

"How long have I been running already? Hmm, 20 minutes, not bad. I'm shooting for 60 minutes today, right? So that's 40 more minutes. Can I do 40 more minutes?I don't know if I can do 40 more minutes. Don't worry about it! Just focus on this minute. But It's 39 more minutes. That's like an entire episode of Game of Thrones, almost..." Until I break down and walk for 2 minutes and then start running again.

:mad:

If I can just quit playing the timing mind game, maybe I can start to enjoy it?

Just start enjoying the mind games. And get outside.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do you have a babyjogger? That was big for me when our daughter was that age and we got a lot of good father-daughter bonding with me pushing her on my runs. I'd try any starter/beginner running plan/app, e.g. Galloway Easy 5K. Jeff Galloway does run-walk-run systems. I use the Galloway marathon app on my phone. Good luck, have fun! Try to run when you can even if it's just a little here and a little there and build it over time.

I do not, BUT it was more because I felt my son was too small. Now that he's a bit older I would like to invest in one. Any good brands you would suggest?

BOB is good. I have a Mountain Buggy double stroller that I got off Craigslist.