I want to learn to like running!

Options
(First post ever!) I've really just been feeling out this site.. reading posts and learning. I walk everyday some times twice, but I really want to run. Not just to do it but to like it. In the past I've done sport and used to jog/run frequently but never really liked it too much. How can I make it more interesting so I can keep up with it and improve?

PS I have a hectic work schedule and a one year old too

Replies

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running and the only thing that got me to love it was continuing to run even when I hated it. Took about a year or so for me to go from hating to liking, then another year to go from like to love. Now I need to run to stay sane. It is my mental workout when I run. Good luck and hopefully you learn that you love to run too. just keep doing it until you do lol
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K programme which is a run/ walk programme that gets you up to running for 30mins non stop. I actively disliked the first few weeks but stuck with it as it burned lots of calories. By around week 6 I found myself starting to enjoy it. 9 months later I love running, I adore running, I want to run all the time! C25K was a great way of building up stamina and now I'm working on increasing speed and distance.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    (First post ever!) I've really just been feeling out this site.. reading posts and learning. I walk everyday some times twice, but I really want to run. Not just to do it but to like it. In the past I've done sport and used to jog/run frequently but never really liked it too much. How can I make it more interesting so I can keep up with it and improve?

I was the same way , it does take time. I am really starting to enjoy it. It even better when I see myself getting leaner and stronger, my times getting better. I also have the XM app for my phone so I can listen to my favorite show while running.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K programme which is a run/ walk programme that gets you up to running for 30mins non stop. I actively disliked the first few weeks but stuck with it as it burned lots of calories. By around week 6 I found myself starting to enjoy it. 9 months later I love running, I adore running, I want to run all the time! C25K was a great way of building up stamina and now I'm working on increasing speed and distance.

I would have to agree...that is what got me started!!
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Go s l o w! I think sometimes people start out trying to go too fast. Find a nice easy pace. Don't try for speed right now. Music helps too, as does beautiful scenery to run in,
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Find a plan that has a sensible and realistic goal for your abilities, or find a group/class at your local running shop. Nothing beats the in-person support you can get from stuff like that.
  • charlenerock
    Options
    I used to hate running and the only thing that got me to love it was continuing to run even when I hated it. Took about a year or so for me to go from hating to liking, then another year to go from like to love. Now I need to run to stay sane. It is my mental workout when I run. Good luck and hopefully you learn that you love to run too. just keep doing it until you do lol

See I want to be like that! I guess I will suck it up until I can get to that point thank you :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I had both, in addition to a 2 1/2 year old.
    1. Get a Couch to 5k app.
    2. Join the Couch to 5k group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    3. Get fitted for shoes at a running store
    4. Go outside

Note: M&Ms consumed by toddlers in a jog stroller are considered health food.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Track you times, distances, etc.

When you start to see progress you really start to love it! I play games with myself a bit and for each style of run I do I have a separate tracking and see how it compares to other times I ran that workout. To see it get better over time is very motivating!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    You can join my running challange. You get to see your progress along side others doing it with you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1301079-june-running-challange
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to love it, or at least, outdoor runs. C25K is the a gateway drug to running, I swear! Time is what helped me, and I agree with PP, SLOW it down! I started out at a 16min pace, now I'm between 10-11. Still slow but getting faster and enjoying it. If music isn't your thing try listening to a podcast, I prefer those these days.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. I just started the couch to 5k plan. I have an ap so I can listen to music while I jog. I have another ap that tells me when it is a jogging or walking interval. I actually find it pleasant which is something very new to me
  • charlenerock
    Options
    Go s l o w! I think sometimes people start out trying to go too fast. Find a nice easy pace. Don't try for speed right now. Music helps too, as does beautiful scenery to run in,

that may be my problem I try to be fast and when I'm not good at it I start to lose interest in in :|
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I work 12.5 hour shifts and have a 3 hour commute. I was up for 24 hours and went jogging (this only happened once, lol). It can be done. I just have to remind myself where my priorities are. You can do it too:smile:
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In my youth, I was a sprinter... racing the 400m was like my world was ending.

I went through a training academy where I had to run several miles at a time, at someone else's way too fast pace. I hated it and it felt like work (it was technically!)

Last year after trying to start 3 times, I finished C25K. I learned to like running because I was finally able to do it at MY pace under MY conditions. Not because someone else said I had to and not at their time, place, and pace.

Pick a pace slower than you think you should go at. My first several tries I was totally gung-ho about and was always winded and having cramps and aches and pains. Who's going to like that? I didn't, that's why it took me three years to finally get through that program.

Once I started being able to actually see improvements... how far I went, small changes in the amount of time it took me do go certain distances was when I finally learned to like running.

Stick with it. It gets easier... but then the beauty of running is when it gets easier, YOU decide when and how you want to make it harder.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

that may be my problem I try to be fast and when I'm not good at it I start to lose interest in in :|

Yep, however slow you think you should run, run slower! You should be able to hold a conversation when running. When I started I could genuinely walk quicker than I could run but stuck to the running and the pace has slowly increased.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'll also put in a +1 for Couch to 5K. I am doing the Zombies, Run! version of C25K and it's great (I only have 2 more workouts until I'm done!) - not only because it slowly builds up your endurance for running, but also because it immerses you in a story - you're a character, and you hear more about other characters and the plot develops as you continue to do the workouts. It's good motivation!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Yep, however slow you think you should run, run slower! You should be able to hold a conversation when running. When I started I could genuinely walk quicker than I could run but stuck to the running and the pace has slowly increased.

This. I was doing 20 minute miles in week three. Slowing down is the key to success.

ETA - see my profile picture? That was my 1-year-old. She's 2 1/2 now and that was her first race.
  • charlenerock
    Options
    Thank you everyone for great advice :) definitely motivating!:happy:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do you have a babyjogger? That was big for me when our daughter was that age and we got a lot of good father-daughter bonding with me pushing her on my runs. I'd try any starter/beginner running plan/app, e.g. Galloway Easy 5K. Jeff Galloway does run-walk-run systems. I use the Galloway marathon app on my phone. Good luck, have fun! Try to run when you can even if it's just a little here and a little there and build it over time.