Anyone play guitar?

Options
2»

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh Haiii :drinker: Mostly acoustic covers. I am a terrible player and singer, but it makes me happy :)
  • OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I play acoustic. Recently, I've decided to work on fingerstyle. If you're interested, look up Michael Chapdelaine on YouTube. I'm awed by his talent!
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I've been playing off and on for about 14 years, now. I was in a couple bands, but none of them really took off. I've been wanting to start up a cover band lately because it seems that no one really wants a Metal band with new material, anymore. Case in point, I once got kicked out of a gig at a place called "The Guitar Bar". The owner let us play for free drinks, but his daughter didn't like our music.

I wanted to hit it big, but I guess that was the dying dream of a 21 year old kid. Now I've got a degree teaching English, but I still wish my music had taken off. Ah well.

tl;dr: Yep.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    wow, it's cool there are musicians here :)

i've played acoustic guitar for over 40 years, more fingerstyle than strumming. i also play electric bass (prefer punk and metal, but just about anything, really), a little keyboard, and i played electric drums for a time. used to play in a few bands, and actually met my husband advertising for musicians to play with :)
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    l've been playing since l was 14. l currently own 2 classicals and a 12-string. l used to have an electric and a sitar but sold those. My main focus is classical guitar and composition, but l used to be a "singer/songwriter" which meant just a normal teen. lol!! Connect with me if you want! Let the music rule...
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im taking lessons but right now just a few chords.. I mostly play keyboard and drums.. Im learning on a Fender Strat. my wife bought me.:smile:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I bought a guitar a few months ago and I'm learning but it's going so slowly which is really frustrating! Anybody got any tips or advice for a beginner??
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I bought a guitar a few months ago and I'm learning but it's going so slowly which is really frustrating! Anybody got any tips or advice for a beginner??
    It's going to hurt and it's going to be super frustrating. If you stick with it though, it'll be well worth it in the end. There are a lot of great videos, lessons and programs available to get you off and running. If you have an iAnything, there is an app called "GuitarBots" that makes learning fun and fairly simple.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    you don't mention if you're taking lessons or not. if you're not - or maybe even if you are - have you tried justinguitar.com ? a lot of beginners i know seem very happy with his lessons, and they seem clear and interesting, and you can go at your own pace.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's going to hurt and it's going to be super frustrating. If you stick with it though, it'll be well worth it in the end. There are a lot of great videos, lessons and programs available to get you off and running. If you have an iAnything, there is an app called "GuitarBots" that makes learning fun and fairly simple.
    [/quote]
    you don't mention if you're taking lessons or not. if you're not - or maybe even if you are - have you tried justinguitar.com ? a lot of beginners i know seem very happy with his lessons, and they seem clear and interesting, and you can go at your own pace.
    [/quote]

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm feeling the pain though! My left hand and wrist definitely hate me right now. I was taking lessons off a friend for a little while but he's too busy now. He was also free, which is a shame....

I haven't been overly impressed with the internet so far, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'll check out your suggestions though. Thanks for the tips!
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Admiring all you guitar players.

I had a few lessons about half my life ago. I broke a couple of fingers playing sport and never returned to lessons - big, big regret.

I have a ukulele but at some point in the future I will try again with learning to play guitar.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    justgemmy, your wrist shouldn't be hurting. you might want to try some different playing / hand positions.
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Look up some finger dexterity excercises online and spend 30 minutes or so doing them daily before moving on to other things. Major and minor scales are good as well.
    There's a site called Jamplay.com that has a ton of video and interactive lessons on it and it's much cheaper than a private instructor if money is an issue. Some very useful tools for guitarists of all skill levels.
    Remember to have fun with it! Good luck!
  • L4manski
    L4manski Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I play, Have both 6 and 7 string guitars. I play mostly Heavy Metal and am in a band called Plague of Humanity (look for us on FB...lol) I am a fan of guitar itself and love hearing all kinds of guitar oriented music...
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh Haiii :drinker: Mostly acoustic covers. I am a terrible player and singer, but it makes me happy :)

Exactly this!!! Me too....
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm feeling the pain though! My left hand and wrist definitely hate me right now. I was taking lessons off a friend for a little while but he's too busy now. He was also free, which is a shame....

I haven't been overly impressed with the internet so far, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'll check out your suggestions though. Thanks for the tips!
    I recommend justinguitar.com as well! He actually goes over his suggestion on how a beginner guitarist should hold the neck to develop the hand muscles. I've only gotten to the first couple of lessons, but I think he's very clear!
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep - I play and sing. Have both a 6-string and 12-string, plus a mandolin and some keyboards..