Struggling with OHP!

Options
On the strong lifts program. I'm currently lifting 40kg but I'm only getting 5,5,5,3,3.

Better than last session which was only 5,4,3,4,3.

I totally get that it's utilising the smallest muscles in the upperbody, unlike my squat and deadlift which are at 102.5kg Squat 5x5 and 125kg deadlift 5x5.

My bench technique was a bit rubbish for a while but since I've improved I'm going up and up. Currently at 67.5kg 5x5. My barbell row is the same and continuing to rise.

It seems every time I put my OHP up I seem to struggle. I wondered if a different approach would help? I want to stick with the 5x5 program until my squats stop improving. Obviously I will follow the deloads etc. I havent had to deload on this weight yet but can see it happening IF i fail next time.

Like the others I struggled with - I have watched countless youtube videos to check form. At a lighter weight the gym instructor said my technique was fine but I haven't had this checked since. I am trying to keep good form which is making me fail as I don't want to get injured.

I'm a big guy with broad shoulders. I've improved 10kg since January. I just feel like it's taking too long considering all the others have continued to improve.

Does this sort of improvement sound reasonable and am I being un reasonable on myself? I think the next step is to get a video up and let you lot rip me to shreds.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    OHP is a tough one. Will lift the lightest and gain the slowest. How does it compare with your bench? Edit: sorry, 67.5kg for bench. So the ratio is about right there. Don't worry about it imo. Can always work on form, but OHP is just a weak lift in general.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I might drop the weight a bit and look into the following techniques for OHP if you are getting stuck. Yes it sounds reasonable as it is the lightest of the big lifts which means the greatest percentage increase and most likely to stall.

1. Do the de load as prescribed

2. Micro Load with special 1 1/4 plates you can get online and drop the weight by 2.5 lbs or whatever that equates to in Kg's

3. Drop the weight slightly and Institute a double progression system where you increase through a rep range before increasing (ex: 40 x 4, 40x 5, 40x6, increase 41x4, 41x5, 41x6, increase, etc.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. On the site he talks about adequate rest between sets. If you can manage it, time your rest period. I know that for me I tend to rush the OHP cause it sucks. I'm trying to give myself a full 2 minutes between sets.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just have to joine in and say that I @*#^$&^ hate OHP.

Wish it wasn't on the same days as Deadlifting, that's my favorite excercise.

In to see what others have to say.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, you have given me a few more things to think about. I am going to do the prescribed deload if I fail next week.

The smallest weights I have are 1 1/4 kg but this still equates to 2.5 kg on the bar to keep it balanced.

I typed it into google and got a lot of guys saying that the bench will help the OHP and the OHP will help the bench. The bench is coming along nicely now. One guy said I need to be more angry? lol

On a side note - I deadlifted 125kg today which is more than my body weight and boy it knocked me for 6!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Dude, OHP ks a tough lift, no doubt. By far my least impressive lift.

One thing that I did to help with it is to add in a few accessories to target my back muscles. Facepulls and DB seated presses went a long way and helped me increase my OHP by 30lbs in roughly 4-6 weeks.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Core strength is what will get you over the hump with OHP! Accessory back for sure....but the deep core muscles too...good article:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core-strength-your-ultimate-guide-to-core-training.html
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I recently started the 5x5 too and to be honest I am struggling myself both with the BP @55kg and OHP @50kg I am blaming a shoulder injury that I picked up in work about 6 weeks ago on my left shoulder. Hoping it clears up soon so I can see some progress happening here.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc&list=HL1398351893

This is a great video for OHP Rippetoe helps people out.

Other thing try finding some weighted collars...mine are 3.5lb in total...so I go up 3.5lbs then 1.5lbs and it has helped mine.

As well weighted magnets work too.

My OHP is currently sitting at 93.5lbs...3,3,3 first fail..2 more tries.

And is your OHP 65-75% of your bench? I think that works out to 44kg-51kg...that's a good bench mark.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for the press to be the first lift to stall on a linear program like SL. It's also not unusual for you to stall again at the same weight even after a deload, since 10% of your pressing weight is usually a relatively small number... My advice is to stick with the program and follow the deloading protocol. After your second deload, switch to 3x5 and look into microloading, if you want.

And of course, make sure your form is as good as possible. This video by strongman Alan Thrall is probably the best press tutorial I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wol7Hko8RhY
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I might drop the weight a bit and look into the following techniques for OHP if you are getting stuck. Yes it sounds reasonable as it is the lightest of the big lifts which means the greatest percentage increase and most likely to stall.

1. Do the de load as prescribed

2. Micro Load with special 1 1/4 plates you can get online and drop the weight by 2.5 lbs or whatever that equates to in Kg's

3. Drop the weight slightly and Institute a double progression system where you increase through a rep range before increasing (ex: 40 x 4, 40x 5, 40x6, increase 41x4, 41x5, 41x6, increase, etc.

Good advice. Accessory work is good too (thanks Whierd) and switching up the program eventually is also good (thanks alk_509). Only thing I wanted to add is that incline bench press helped me too. I do it paused to really work on that explosiveness off of the chest which is a sticking point for many (me included). I am only adding 10lbs every 6 months or so at this point. Progress is progress.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I struggled with it for a while, and once I finally got through the mental barrier of how it was my worst lift and that I "couldn't progress" I was able to move up pretty quickly. I stuck at just the barbell for a LONG time. Then slowly added weight and got pretty comfortable at 65 pounds. Stuck there for a while. Finally said let's just see what I can do and started adding weight every week. I've gotten to 90 pounds as a 1 RM. It's hard. My working sets are still at 70 pounds, but I know I can do more and that motivates me to push hard until the weight I am working at becomes easy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    More upper back work and more volume. That's what I've found to be most effective for myself...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    More upper back work and more volume. That's what I've found to be most effective for myself...

Good point. I only mentioned my mental barrier, but I should have indicated that another push was switching from only lifting heavy to adding some hypertrophy days where I lifted moderate weight with a higher number of reps.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What are you expecting from it? Your bench and ohp are 40ish lbs apart. In comparison, I bench 340 and strict ohp 215.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just the first lift thats REALLY given me some grief. I don't like failure... Guess I may be being too hard on myself.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am a newb, so take from this what you will. I think you are being too hard on yourself. OHP has been deemed the most difficult lift of the program by many members here. I am doing SL 5x5 for the second time from scratch and for the second time I have had my first failed set, of course on OHP, and at 75 lbs. (makes me feel like a shrimp). I did come back on the next scheduled OHP day (yesterday) and knocked it out, with great struggle in the last set. So the grind continues as bad as it may suck, it must continue.

BTW just so I felt better about the fail, I grabbed some DB's and did some front shoulder raises and side raises as well as sitting DB press low weight 2 sets for 10 reps. I have no clue if that helped at all, but it felt right.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    And, I don't like to fail either. I feel ya
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    10kg or 20 pounds in 6 months is nothing to be ashamed of... If you are passed the newly gains stage, 20 pounds in 6 months is ****ing awesome!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you deloaded or took a week off from lifting? I also would look at taking a longer break in between sets, I know it sucks but if you popped 5 on first set... you really should be resting enough to hit 5 on the rest.

The flat bench does help the OHP and vise versa. I also use 15-30 degree DB press & seated DB press. Don't ignore how much all these help each other.

*Edit to add that make sure you are doing pull ups...go weighted if you get to a point of ease. Floor press will also make a difference which you should be doing if you want your bench to increase as well.