Sodium & Water

Options
AsaThorsWoman
AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
Everyone always tell me to drink lots of water when I've gone over on my sodium.

Today I drank 96oz.

It felt a bit like overkill.

Why is it that we should drink all this water when we have a ton of sodium?

It would be good for me to know because I truly love salt.

Thanks.

:drinker:

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sodium can make you retain water. The more water you drink, the less you retain.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your sweat and pee contain some sodium. The more you drink, the more you pee, the more sodium you remove.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Your sweat and pee contain some sodium. The more you drink, the more you pee, the more sodium you remove.

This.

In order to maintain homeostasis between your ICF and ECF, your body will dilute your ECF by retaining water. If you are fully hydrated, you will sweat properly and excrete more fluid through urine.
  • RjoyD
    RjoyD Posts: 2
    Options
    You're fortunate you like salt.
    I have problems like severely low sodium because I don't eat enough of it.

It makes sense to drink more fluids in order to compensate for eating too much salt, the fluids cleanse your kidneys.:-)
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    Sodium is needed for the body to function properly but when you pass a certain amount it causes higher blood pressure and water retention. In our kidneys, to get rid of the extra salt and adjust the blood pressure water is needed (why? water moves with sodium). The more water you drink, easier it gets for your body to get rid of the extra salt.
  • celesteg2223
    Options
    too much sodium can make you retain water, drinking more water will get rid of the excess water your retaining because your body will be hydrated and not hold on to extra water.

i try to drink at least 1 gallon of water everyday its not hard if you drink through out the day.

your body will thank you for keeping your self hydrated
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Getting potassium helps get rid of salt.
  • pastybuns
    pastybuns Posts: 81
    Options
    You could also try replacing salt on some things. I've known a few people to use lemon juice on salads and veggies for a saltier taste.
  • trever240z
    Options
    Unless you have medical conditions you shouldn't worry about ''limiting'' your sodium, just make sure to drink water throughout the day and keep your sodium intake consistent throughout the week. just assuming you are worrying about water weight you most likely wont notice any change unless your are going over big time.