is it possible/

Options
Is it possible to lose fat even if the scale doesn't come down, jean size & fit are the same, but over all look is smaller? I have been struggling thinking I've hit a very long plateau (I have read a lot about that & am being very honest in logging & double checked what my calorie intake should be). My weight is the same for months now. I am still wearing the same jeans as before & they aren't loose or baggy any where. However, over my whole body I look much smaller. So, is it possible I am losing fat very evenly all over?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If your weight has been the same for months, you are eating at maintenance.
    Either lower your calorie goal or make sure you are using a food scale to weigh your food.
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    Options
    It is possible but it's hard to tell. If you feel better about your body then that's what matters. Who cares what the number on the scale says!
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Take body measurements. It's probably unlikely that you'll losing fat evenly throughout your body. As the previous post ... if you feel better about your body then that's what matters.
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it's very doubtful that you've been losing fat slowly, even over several months, if your scale weight hasn't changed at all.

Are you doing any weight training? If so, you may have lost a little bit of fat and gained a little bit of muscle, which could be a reason why your body appears smaller to you in the mirror.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation? Perhaps I can help you kickstart the fat loss again if that's what you're looking to do.
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this, but it's very doubtful that you've been losing fat slowly, even over several months, if your scale weight hasn't changed at all.

Are you doing any weight training? If so, you may have lost a little bit of fat and gained a little bit of muscle, which could be a reason why your body appears smaller to you in the mirror.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your situation? Perhaps I can help you kickstart the fat loss again if that's what you're looking to do.

I don't think I really need to kickstart / or change anything. I feel great! I lift at least 3x per week, walk at least 30 minutes to 1 hour daily, & do HIIT once a week. I was just wondering if I was loosing all over or maybe in areas that wouldn't effect my clothing size? I mean people are telling me how I look as if I've really lost a lot. In my progress pictures there is a big difference yet I am in the same jeans and the scale hasn't moved. So I was just curious what's up (not complaining or anything). I have seen posts where people say the scale isn't going down but they are loosing inches so, I thought perhaps my inches were all over my body or maybe in places that I wouldn't have thought to measure.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    It is possible but it's hard to tell. If you feel better about your body then that's what matters. Who cares what the number on the scale says!
    I do feel good about myself! :) That is the most important thing.:smile:
    Just wondering what is happening to seem to be getting smaller but with no actual weight loss and jean size the same.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I don't think I really need to kickstart / or change anything. I feel great! I lift at least 3x per week, walk at least 30 minutes to 1 hour daily, & do HIIT once a week. I was just wondering if I was loosing all over or maybe in areas that wouldn't effect my clothing size? I mean people are telling me how I look as if I've really lost a lot. In my progress pictures there is a big difference yet I am in the same jeans and the scale hasn't moved. So I was just curious what's up (not complaining or anything). I have seen posts where people say the scale isn't going down but they are loosing inches so, I thought perhaps my inches were all over my body or maybe in places that I wouldn't have thought to measure.

He's an "online personal trainer", apparently with a program for men.

I've personally stayed the same weight/pants size before. But I did lose inches. In one month of working out several years ago, I lost over seven inches across my body. A measuring tape, and logging measurements every now and then is a great gauge of progress. I lost my inches everywhere; my behind, hips, waist, ect.

If the scale isn't shifting, try to gradually reduce your calories down to see if the scale starts shifting. You may be eating at maintenance; if you don't have one already, get a food scale so you can accurately track your intake, and see if maybe you've been eating more than you think. Program wise, it sounds like you're pretty active already. I'd start by looking at your food, and then moving to other possibilities if that doesn't work.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    Take body measurements. It's probably unlikely that you'll losing fat evenly throughout your body. As the previous post ... if you feel better about your body then that's what matters.
    I thought using my jean size would be the same as measuring. I mean if I have lost in my waist the jeans should be loose right? Just wondering what is happening to seem to be getting smaller but with no actual weight loss and jean size the same but if you can recommend where and how often to measure I will try it or a link would be great.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options

I've personally stayed the same weight/pants size before. But I did lose inches. In one month of working out several years ago, I lost over seven inches across my body. A measuring tape, and logging measurements every now and then is a great gauge of progress. I lost my inches everywhere; my behind, hips, waist, ect.
    /quote]
    When you lost the inches all over did it just give you a very noticeable smaller appearance but not enough in the right areas to effect jean size? Maybe that's what's happening to me? I am comfortable with what I have going on right now as far as diet and exercise. I do think its working because I have definitely gotten smaller. Just curious why the scale hasn't moved or why I'm not in smaller jeans yet.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

When you lost the inches all over did it just give you a very noticeable smaller appearance but not enough in the right areas to effect jean size? Maybe that's what's happening to me? I am comfortable with what I have going on right now as far as diet and exercise. I do think its working because I have definitely gotten smaller. Just curious why the scale hasn't moved or why I'm not in smaller jeans yet.
    [/quote]

Pretty much! I could notice a change in my legs (had a bigger space between my thighs, which is where most of my loss happened), and I did lose around 10lbs too. But a lot of it was water weight. It can all depend on your body type as well (with the fit of clothes), and where the weight's coming off. Weight loss happens, but unfortunately it doesn't all like to come off at the same place at the same time!
  • JustinHastings
    Options
    Ah OK, if you're lifting weights 3x a week and doing HIIT, then you could definitely be doing a slow body recomposition. This would explain why you're the same weight, but looking better in progress photos.

Glad to hear you feel great and are so active! Keep up the good work!
  • 7213Melissa
    Options

Pretty much! I could notice a change in my legs (had a bigger space between my thighs, which is where most of my loss happened), and I did lose around 10lbs too. But a lot of it was water weight. It can all depend on your body type as well (with the fit of clothes), and where the weight's coming off. Weight loss happens, but unfortunately it doesn't all like to come off at the same place at the same time!
    [/quote]
    Thanks so much! I was beginning to think I was the only one. And actually thinking more about it I have definitely lost in my face, arms, and chest. Although my jeans are the same they do look better on me and my muffin top is very small now.:wink: