How long did it take you to run how far?

Options
loubidy
loubidy Posts: 440 Member
I've been sorta trying to run since last September and have gone from 0.49miles to 2.2miles non stop. So thats taken about 10 months. Would like to be able to run 6-7miles without feeling like I'm going to die..

Just want to know how long it took you to be able to run any distance?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    After 3 years, I can run 6 miles in an hour and 1 minute. I feel it's pitiful progress, but OTOH, look how far I can run, now! My brother has been training for about 3 months and can run 5 miles in an hour. It took me 2 years to get to that point. He's got 3 more months to up the pace if he expects to beat me at Warrior Dash. If he keeps trying to race every workout I might win because he'll be nursing an injury. Something minor, I hope - but if that's the only way I can win...

I'm still ready to die after 6 miles in just over an hour, too. But after I catch my breath, I feel Very Much Alive!
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i did the c25k thing and 2 months after that i can run 4 miles.
  • ryantrimble12
    ryantrimble12 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5 months to be able to run 3 miles without stopping--but I haven't gotten to the point where I can do that consistently (normally do 2-2.5 miles).

I'd also really like to be able to run 6-7 miles without feeling like I want to die! Right now I'm trying to focus on getting my pace up, but I'm finding that increasing speed is WAY harder (for me) than distance.
  • heel_striker
    heel_striker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went from being able to run 3km in October to running a half marathon (21.1km) in March. So about 5.5 months. In order to get better at running you have to run, consistently. 3-4 times a week. Then slowly start to increase your mileage, the rule of thumb is generally 10% increase per week in total mileage. Good luck!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Freeway to 10k program by podrunner. It's free and a great way to kick-start a long-distance running program. The tenth week involves two 29 minute intervals with a one minute walk in-between (that was about 5 miles for me). By the 11th week I was able to run for an hour without stopping (but ended up adding rehydration breaks shortly after as it's recommend that we drink every 20 minutes when running for longer than 80 minutes at a time).
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started running with cross country in highschool in September 2012 and it took me a month to run 4k without stopping. I kind of more or less kept it up but really got back into it last November, and I just finished a 10k in 52:48 on Sunday.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was able to do the entire C25k program in 6 weeks but I wasn't running a 5K at that point.. I was able to run for 30 minutes (3.61km). This year, it took 2 months I think to run a 5k (36 mins). I started running this year for 22 minutes and upped my time each week to avoid injury. I am definitely running faster this year as last year I would have run a 5k at around 48-51 minutes.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    After never running in my life I went from 0-10K in about a year, running 2-3 times a week. I'm pretty naturally athletic though. I'm not terribly fast (10K in 1 hr 7 min) but it's good enough for me!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1st week of June 2013 2 miles non-stop; end of September 2013 5.5 miles; November 2013 10k completed.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This will probably make most of you laugh b/c the distance is so small BUT about 2 1/2 weeks ago I started training for a physical test I'm taking this coming wkend. I started out barely able to finish 1/2 a mile without stopping and now I can jog/run 1.5 miles non-stop in a little over 15 minutes. For me, this is awesome progress. I can't wait to see where I'm at in 5-6 months.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Start out not being able to run 1/4 mile....C25K in 6 weeks.....5 months and I was able to run 8 miles every other day consistently.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want to add mileage - look into doing run/walk intervals. Many great websites out there with good information. I have been run/walking since December 2006 and with that approach have covered everything from 5ks to half marathons to now training for my first marathon. My mile pace is actually faster than if I just ran straight through.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've been sorta trying to run since last September and have gone from 0.49miles to 2.2miles non stop. So thats taken about 10 months. Would like to be able to run 6-7miles without feeling like I'm going to die..

I think your key word there is "sorta". How often are you running? I did the couch to 5k program and within a couple months was running 5k and a couple months after that was doing 10k without feeling like I was going to die. And a few months after that I ran a half marathon. I ran every other day at the start and then moved up to 5 and then 6 days a week. I think if you are consistent with your running you will very quickly be able to move up to the distance you want. But you have to keep at it. You can't just run one or two days a week, a mile at a time and expect to run an effortless 10k. It takes practice and work. Keep at it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to go from 0 to 13.1 miles. But, I'm very slow. I'm not sure what speed you're running, but in 10 months, I would have thought you could run farther. It would of course depend on how often and what distance you're running. Everyone is different, but most people, when they start running are trying to run too fast. Perhaps if you slow down, you could do a longer distance.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow a plan and probably went at it in a non-healthy manner, but probably 2 months. I didn't have any health issues that would have made it riskier, and I was in semi-decent shape already. And probably 6 months to get up to HM distance, slow/painful HM distance. Then I quit running. Once I picked it back up 1.5 years later, I slowed down and emphasized consistency and was running those distances again in half the lead-up time with virtually no issues.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

And you need to get the word "sorta" out of your vocab and replace it with "consistently" if you want to achieve your goal.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have been running since last March.The first weekend in May I completed a half marathon, mixing walking and running. My goal is to complete a half Marathon in November by running he whole distance. Last week tried to run on the treadmill nonstop for 45 minutes at a brisk pace but only able to complete 33 minutes due to getting sick to my stomach. It will come eventually. Don't get discouraged. I'm not!:smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Distance doesn't matter...Speed does.

And speed is relative, therefore, distance matters.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    it's taken me 6 months to run 3.1 miles to now 8 miles comfortably (with hills) so if it's flat I know I can do 9-10 miles.