40/20/40 eating

Options
Mindarin
Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
So I just started the Insanity program yesterday, and am trying to eat as closely to the included diet plan as possible. This means 40% carbs, 20% fat, and 40% protein. However, to do this MFP says I need to eat 200 grams of protein a day. I like protein! Meat, eggs, milk, nuts (beef jerky. ;) ), but I am barely making 100 g of protein.

So my question is, is this accurate? And if so, what can I do to include more protein? My diary is an open book, so let me know what you think. I am open to eating protein bars, but hate protein shakes with a passion, plus I would like to get as much as I can from less engineered foodst. Any ideas on how to get more protein in w/out killing my budget and schedule?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Gah! I find that if I really push myself, I can get up to 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs, but it takes some effort. I can't imagine another 10% protein. I think that might be overkill.
  • Mindarin
    Options
    That's definitely what I'm thinking, but I also trust MFP and Shawn T. :P Oh, the dilemma...
  • breahremington
    Options
    i'm the same as snuggle. i try to eat 40/30/30, and some days i have trouble reaching those goals, even while utilizing protein powders and quest bars! i consider myself to be a protein lover for the most part, but 40 would be really hard for me to reach.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You are eating 2000 cals a day yeah?

If you are exercising a lot then around 1g/lb of lbm should be sufficient to retain LBM while dieting. You can estimate your LBM as BW less BF%. And it doesn't have to be "exact".

200g of protein is how much I eat as a 183lb guy who exercises a fair bit. (on 2500 cals)
  • Mindarin
    Options
    The struggle is real! But good to know I'm not alone. :)

And yes, I'm currently eating about 1900 including exercise calories. However, I weigh about 170 so I feel the 200 might not be SO off...

How do yall add more protein into your diets BESIDES supplements?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree 1g per pound of lean body weight or thereabouts. I try to do 35/35/30 on days I lift. Fat is important too, keeps you full.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of lean seafood. Talapia and cod are cheap and are almost entirely protein, and shrimp and scallops make a nice change, they're just pricier.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey and chicken burgers, salmon, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, Quest bars, cheese sticks, lunch meats for my main protein sources.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You are eating 2000 cals a day yeah?

If you are exercising a lot then around 1g/lb of lbm should be sufficient to retain LBM while dieting. You can estimate your LBM as BW less BF%. And it doesn't have to be "exact".

200g of protein is how much I eat as a 183lb guy who exercises a fair bit. (on 2500 cals)
    This^ I eat 200g protein at about 200 lbs, sometimes less. As long as you get your LBM in protein you're good.
  • Mindarin
    Options
    Thx for the food ideas! :D So is the idea to up protein levels as you up physical activity? Or is it just based on lean body mass?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Based primarily on LBM as that is what you are wanting to maintain.

If you are strength training then your requirements are slightly higher than someone who is sedentary though.

I just assume that everyone lifts these days :laugh: