Sub for breadcrumbs in Meatloaf?

Options
13»

Replies

• cracklinrosi
    Options
    I use one egg per 2 pounds of ground beef. Also, I add salsa for flavour and moisture. I don't use onion soup mix anymore (especially after I learned to "read" the ingredients).
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    a good substitute be panko crumbs but I don't know for sure I will check for you

Panko is bread though, and I can't eat gluten. But thanks!

To those who mentioned almond meal, coconut meal, or cashew flour - how much do you use? Last night, I made a recipe that had a cup of breadcrumbs. I used gluten free bread crumbs (seriously, the container cost me $7!!! For like 1.5 cups!), so it was easy to sub. If I were to sub almond meal, would I use a full cup? That seems like a lot...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Brown rice. South beach has a great recipe. It's delicious! I used to make for my ex all the time and he loved it. He is picky.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I use almond meal.

You could also try quinoa.

Or forgo the filler altogether and just use egg as your binder with some added chopped veggies. I make an italian meatloaf muffin with turkey, chia seeds, egg, zucchini, garlic, basil and sundried tomatoes. DELISH!
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    get by without any bread or oat. I just shread up celery and carrot and my family LOVES it! boom!

Celery and carrot doesn't make a panade. I take it your family hadn't had a legit meatball or meatloaf before?

Actually, I'm Italian so, yeah, plenty of meatballs.
  • Susan1196
    Susan1196 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Oat bran in place of bread crumbs, great source of fiber
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No need to depend on expensive gluten free breadcrumbs to replace wheat breadcrumbs in your favorite meatballs or meatloaf. Use what you have on hand to make moist, tender, nutritious entrees.

Veggies

My favorites are minced veggies with the leanest ground meat I can get. The results are juicy, never dry, or tasteless. And you can sneak a serving of veggies into the mix. Make it half meat, half veggies.

1. carrots
    2. cauliflower
    3. celery
    4. cilantro
    5. mushrooms
    6. onions
    7. parsley
    8. peppers - green and sweet bell
    9. sauerkraut
    10. spinach- thawed if frozen, no need to mince
    11. zucchini

Starches and grains

Grains work well too. Use dry cornmeal, gluten free oatmeal, and quinoa flakes - or leftover cooked amaranth seeds, quinoa seeds, and whole grain rice - which are perfect additions to the meat mixture.

12. amaranth
    13. cornmeal
    14. gluten free oatmeal
    15. quinoa
    16. rice

Nuts

Any kind of nut adds flavor and richness. Grind nuts into meal in a mini food processor, not nut butter.

17. almonds
    18. cashew
    19. hazelnut
    20. macadamia
    21. pecans
    22. pine nut
    23. pistachio
    24. walnuts
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I actually use Chia Seeds in my meatloaf....they will swell and bind the meat together as it bakes plus it adds great fiber to your meatloaf :)
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hmm, gluten free meatloaf....I suggest oatmeal, or cooked quinoa.. I would soak the oatmeal in whatever liquid (milk, broth) you are using to make a panade. You can even use mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes will make the meatloaf lighter in texture. I use them in my salisbury steak patties. You could also use cooked rice.
  • libbikins
    libbikins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet the best sub would be crushed pork rinds! ;-) don't laugh they are zero carb and do the truck.... The spicy ones are my go- to "chips " on a weekend cheat day when I'm trying to do as little damage as possible :-)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas...saving this!
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Not many gluten understanding folks in this thread. Almost every entry had something to do with oats or polina, etc, etc, etc, GLUTEN FOLKS! She cannot eat anything that has gluten in it. My husband is the cook in our house. I am celiac and have completely omited gluten from my diet. He makes the best meat loaf and he uses flax seed and quinoa and it is fabulous. good luck.