Bouncing back from Binging...

Options
Ruxie
Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
So with three children and a full time job and a partner whose job keeps him at work until 9 or 10 at night I often find myself having really rough nights. Last night was one of those, and even though I had done a stellar job during the daytime hours as the stress piled on I found myself eating one, two, three pieces of extra garlic bread that the kids didn't want, and drinking two glasses of wine that weren't in my plan, the worse I felt the more I ate and even though I knew I'd feel so angry at myself later I just didn't know how to manage the stress of what sometimes seems like an impossible job with my three boys.

When you find yourself having tough nights like this, how do you move on, what strategies do you employ to start the next day with a better outlook, or to forgive yourself for a moment or two of weakness and keep on plugging away? I'm lucky to have a very supportive partner who would never make me feel bad for having a hard night, but it's more how to move on in my own mind, and how to not be so mad at myself, but I also don't want to just think it's okay to do that, eating way more than I should...

Any advice or stories are much appreciated!

Replies

• Pauline252mfp
    Pauline252mfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging no matter what. I work 7 days a week currently, and binged on potato chips, Greek Gods honey vanilla yogurt (an entire container yesterday of 3 cups) and ciabatta bread with cashew butter the last 3 days. You know what? I still got up this morning and dropped a pound. Logging keeps it real, helps you stay on track, get back on track, and know where you stand. As long as I log, the binges are nowhere near what they would have been. Good luck and hang in there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Been there done that, still lost 80 pounds. You'll only fail if you let an accident stop you.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, log everything, and realize that the tracker starts at zero everyday.

Also understand that you will overeat sometimes. It is not the end of the world....hell, sometimes you have to enjoy it.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My partner works hella long hours and I used to do the same thing when she was at work all night - Takeaway and a bottle of wine for one. I switched my outlook and I now take it as an opportunity to be squeaky clean on my record when I'm by myself, which means when we eat together I don't feel so bad about perhaps going to the pub for one beforehand, or having a takeaway with her.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. One particular time, I was doing really well with my diet and weight loss. One thing led to another, and my wife and I ended up oredering Domino's pizza. I binged badly! Inhaled almost a whole medium myself!! I was pretty devastated and pissed at myself. On my scale a few days later, I was shocked that I lost 4lbs that week! One bad binge does not ruin your week! Sometimes, a binge like that shakes up your metabolism, and seems to trick your body. Just keep eating great the rest of the time, and you'll be fine
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    My Ways to cope with stress
    GYM GYM GYM
    talking letting it out.
    Hookah
    Video games.
    Talking

I said talking twice because it is my best way. One day those other stress relievers did not work.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Been there done that, still lost 80 pounds. You'll only fail if you let an accident stop you.

THIS
  • selfinflicted1
    selfinflicted1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m glad to see I’m not the only one, they bring donuts to the office and it is a struggle not to indulge. Most of the time I do well but I stumble occasionally. I’m new here and the support is very helpful
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

THIS

Another vote for this!

I also like to gauge past "indiscretions" against recent ones. For example, I went on a mini-vacation awhile back and did a LOT of walking but still overate pretty badly compared to usual, and the scale was up temporarily by 8 lb (!!!) when I returned. Even though I logged every bite, and the weight was temporary & came off in a week or so, I wasn't proud of some of my choices like 3 donuts instead of 1-2, and drinking a huge iced sweetened coffee thing on the road when I wasn't even hungry. The next trip I took was shorter, but I didn't overdo it...indulged with more restraint...and when I came home I was up 0.6 lb and felt proud.
  • Ruxie
    Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everyone! I did great today and biked to and from work and made healthy choices when I went to lunch with my boss. It's a much better day than yesterday and I am really glad that my head is in a better place. <3
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    In the same boat as you (work full time, three little kids, husband works late). Did the same thing today, did it before. It always takes me some time to get back to good habits, but eventually I get there!