Got Milk?

Options
What do you guys think about this article?

http://blog.snclubs.com/2013/11/the-truth-about-going-dairy-free/

It states that 75% of the world is lactose intolerant, meaning that a lot of us can't properly digest dairy products. So could it be possible that, when I drink milk, none of the milk's protein is actually being absorbed by my body?

I looked up the symptoms of lactose intolerance:

- stomach pain
- abdominal bloating / cramping
- gas
- diarrhea lasting 5+ days
- unexplained fatigue
- nausea
- blood in poo

I don't really exhibit any of these symptoms after I consume dairy. However, if I consume a plentiful amount of milk, I tend to have very liquid poos and fart a lot (gas).

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Dairy is only for baby mammals
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You don't look like a baby cow.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Your ability to process milk is dependent upon your ancestry. 75% of the world is lactose intolerant simply because the trait has not been passed down through their ancestry.

You could have an intolerance, but the best thing to do is to see a doctor and find out. You may have some other allergy you are not aware of. Or it could be that the milk is not being stored properly.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    drink milk, love life

if you're not lactose intolerant, you're absorbing the protein
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is lactose free, and a huge chunk of the 75% of the world's population that's lactose intolerant eats yogurt, so I'd say you're getting the protein whether your lactose intolerant or not.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I used to have a dairy addiction...especially cheese! I have been dairy free for a year now and have never felt better. I would add another symptom of dairy intolerance ... acne or skin break outs....just my 2 cents!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah 75% of the world is lactose intolerant is a load of bull mate. 100% of the world is lactose intolerant. However what matters is the DEGREE.

Most people can eat quite a lot of dairy without any adverse side effects some unfortunate people can't handle more than a few mouthfuls before they start to feel sick. But everyone will get sick if they eat too much dairy. Everyone.

However dairy is .. in moderation a great source of food and protein for the vast majority of people. Studies like this are really fishy because they don't reveal the standard of their definition of "lactose intolerant" they want you to actually think it's an on/off switch that people just can or can't digest dairy. But that is not even an oversimplification it is downright misinformation. People who simply can't handle dairy at all are actually in the vast minority.

This study even mentions saturated fat as being evil. We have known that saturated fat really isn't that big a deal for quite some time. This whole "study" is just quack science and I would advise you to ignore it.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You'll still get the protein - lactose is milk sugar like how sucrose and fructose are sugars. I'm not sure whether to buy the 75% figure. I remember hearing that folks of African or Asian descent are tons more likely to have issues with lactose plus some other groups so that might be legit. I've got lactose issues but not full out lactose intolerance so milk and ice cream are things I eat when I'm being stupid. Fermentables I can get away with for the most part though sometimes they'll add "milk solids" back in after the fermenting so I have to watch out for some like cottage cheese. Note that femented means reduced and not quite lactose-free. There's also tons of non-dairy high protein/calcium sources to fill in if I've been rolling snake eyes with the cheeses and yogurts so I can still get my needs met. It's an optional food group that makes some stuff easier to get.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    OP if you are not showing any symptoms when you ingest milk and other dairy products in normal quantities, it is. highly unlikely you are lactose intolerant.
    However lactose intolerance is a spectrum so you may have a mild intolerance that only shows up if you ingest large amounts.

I can accept the figure that 75 % of the worlds population is lactose intolerant - given many people of Asian and African descent are lactose intolerant and there are many more such people in the world than people of European descent ( I think a quarter of the worlds population lives in China)

However if you are not lactose intolerant, there is no reason to avoid milk or dairy products.