Running & 30 Day Shred?

Options
I started running (C25K program) about 4 weeks ago & have continued running every other day. I had been doing absolutely nothing before so I'm all new to this. I started the 30 Day Shred this past Monday. The first day I did the Shred, I also ran (Week 4, Day 3 of C25K). It felt like too much. Should I alternate? Work through it? Hold off on running until after the Shred? Any & all advice welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever feels comfortable. Personally, i can't imagine doing both together, but that's me. I'd recommend maybe picking one to start with if they feel like too much. You can also alternate, but when I did C25K, I know that the rest days in between were KEY to avoiding things like shin splints and foot pain.
  • jhanson60
    jhanson60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only reason I even started running at all was because I signed up for a 5K fun run/walk, which I did last Friday. It was the catalyst in getting me off my butt & now that I'm active, I want to keep doing more. I don't really have the desire to run now that the 5K is done so I think I'll stick to the Shred for now & maybe take up running again later. I just wasn't sure if it was something I should push through or not. Thanks for your opinion, Stage14.
  • SLKMERC
    SLKMERC Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do this too. I am on Week 7 Day 1 of Ease into 5km, which I assume is similar to C25k. I run 3 times a week and I when it comes to my days off in between I do think about doing 30DS but I am too shattered. Every run takes me further and I am also increasing speed. For me personally I think the 30DS will have to wait until I have finished the running program. When I can consistently run 5k three times a week without being totally shattered, then I will alternate running and shred.

But it is all individual and how you feel. If you want to do 30DS and you feel you are still able to run, do it, but don't forget some rest days. 30DS doesn't have to be done consecutively. Its always good to mix up your routine.
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I run and do the 30DS and also JM's Shred it with Weights, however I do not do them on the same day. My week is usually : MWF DVD, Tues OR Thurs run, Sat and Sun run 2x a day. I found my running improved once I started incorporating the DVDs in to my training. My legs felt stronger and my endurance was better.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I usually advise newer runners not to do anything high impact on the days between running. Doing so can cause injuries because you're putting a lot of stress on joints that aren't used to repeated impact. I haven't done the 30 day shred, so I can't say with certainty, but it sounds like something that's probably just as rough on your feet and legs. I would stick to one or the other until you build up a little more strength.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I also do C2K and 30DS as well as I take a couple of classes at the gym. I try to rest 2 days a week, because I was getting burnt out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Running = high impact cardio

30 Day Shred = high impact cardio + some weights

I can't image doing all high impact all the time. If your knees can take it - fine. BUT, you might look at a different DVD, one that offers strength training (without more cardio). If you want to stick with Jillian....No More Trouble Zones is exclusively strength training.

Video clip & info here:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/NO-MORE-TROUBLE-ZONES-p/854.htm

There are options to make the workout longer or shorter.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only reason I even started running at all was because I signed up for a 5K fun run/walk, which I did last Friday. It was the catalyst in getting me off my butt & now that I'm active, I want to keep doing more. I don't really have the desire to run now that the 5K is done so I think I'll stick to the Shred for now & maybe take up running again later. I just wasn't sure if it was something I should push through or not. Thanks for your opinion, Stage14.
    I would not give up the running because you will lose a lot of the endurance you have gained. You could alternate days or do both whatever feels and works better. I personally don't think both in one day is too much.