Work Through Soreness?

Options
Started the life change to lose weight and get in better shape back in January. So far I have lost 60+ pounds and completed a Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago . I have started a new running program to get to a sub 30 5K and on Monday started a 5x5 lifting program.

Here is my question my legs a pretty sore this morning I got my run in but I am supposed to lift tonight. Should I wait until the soreness goes away or should I just push threw it?

Replies

• eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    Unless the soreness is so debilitating that it inhibits your ability to exercise safely, go ahead and push through it. Over time soreness will become less and less of an issue.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I generally feel better after a workout even if I was sore at the beginning.

With that being said, most 5x5 lifting programs are pretty intense and it might be asking a bit much of your body to pair that with a new running program, especially if it is aggressive. I lift heavy (for me) 4 times per week and do very little cardio, especially on my "rest" days.

Jumping into both programs simultaneously, I'm afraid you are asking for an injury that will sideline all your goals for awhile.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Started the life change to lose weight and get in better shape back in January. So far I have lost 60+ pounds and completed a Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago . I have started a new running program to get to a sub 30 5K and on Monday started a 5x5 lifting program.

Here is my question my legs a pretty sore this morning I got my run in but I am supposed to lift tonight. Should I wait until the soreness goes away or should I just push threw it?
    YOu just have to know your body.

Does it feel just like soreness or is there something more?

I would attempt your workout tonite. Maybe stretch a bit more and start it a little slower/lighter than normal and see how it feels before progressing.

There have been times I was so sore before a workout and then got into it with the blood flowing and it went great, and then there were other times when I started it just didnt feel right so I ended it.

Listen to your body.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Start with a good warm-up. You should feel good to go before the workout starts.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    depends...what body part r u focusing on tonight. If tonight is Leg Day..skip it. When doing leg day, never do cardio first.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I would push through it... with this caveat... do a quick 5 -10 minute cardio warm up before.. then a little lower body stretching... and definitely some light warm up sets... being stiff might inhibit you from exercising proper technique... SO lift away.. just do a little prep before hand... I am into my 5th week of 5x5.. and I have to say I am liking the results so far.. GOOD on you
  • kimfelice
    kimfelice Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss and finishing the C25K!
  • huntermaz
    huntermaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will give it a go tonight. Thanks everyone for the input.
  • huntermaz
    huntermaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well worked out and feeling great afterwards.