Diet Soda/Coffee?

I'm in this headspace lately where I feel like I can't drink anything except water. I miss my caffeine! Does anyone else incorporate coffee or diet soda into their daily plan with no adverse results? I've just read quite a bit of contradictory research over the years and would love some personal opinions. I would just stick to tea but I worked at Teavana and I'm frankly just burnt out on the stuff. :drinker:

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Yes, I have one LARGE cup of coffee in the morning at work. This contributes to the safety and well being of my co-workers. Because I use a lot of cream and sugar it takes up 288 of my daily calories, but I don't mind that sacrifice.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    diet soda and coffee both have 0 calories. drink as much as your heart desires without bouncing off the walls from caffeine
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    I drink both coffee and diet soda, and haven't noticed any side effects. There isn't anything in either that would compromise your weight loss, or make you retain water like crazy. Both hydrate you, so drink it if you want to.
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    I drink diet soda (I'm cutting back from real soda) and coffee. I've found that I do feel better when I drink water rather than soda but soda doesn't make me feel bad at all. Coffee is just amazing and doesn't do anything bad to me.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    I drink coffee whenever I please. As for soda, I shame it because soda in general is not the best thing you can give to your body. I only have it on cheat days, and I drink one that's called "zevia". I live in Canada so I'm not sure if anywhere else has it.. But it's 0 cal, 0 sugar, about 20mg of sodium and 4g sugar alochols. It's sweetened with Stevia and ingredients are more understandable than soda. It also comes in different flavours, but I normally go for the cola.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    ^ also alternative to soda that I had read about is 100% fruit juice mixed with carbonated water if you just need the soda "effect"
  • fit_rox
    fit_rox Posts: 83
    I've cut back on both and noticed that after the initial cravings and "withdrawls", my body is more energized and I don't feel like I need either (which is easy on the wallet too!). I used to drink a lot of diet soda and didn't find any issues with weight, just with general bloating from the carbonation and artificial sugars. My fix for this is mixing club soda, fresh lemon juice, and stevia.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I personally avoid soda in general (I don't like the taste to start with, but even if I did I would avoid the diet versions due to the controversial sweeteners used), but I love me some coffee! ;) I won't say anything for soda since I have no experience with it, but I can feel pretty confident in saying there is NOTHING wrong with consuming coffee! It's natural, and the caffeine will actually speed up your metabolism and suppress appetite! Just be careful not to drink multiple cups daily or anything, as you could build up a tolerance and these things may stop happening (and you may crave more when you try to stop). My dad drinks black coffee all the time, but I prefer cappuccinos as I like milk added to mine (not to mention how it's good to add milk to make up for the calcium loss caffeine can provide). On days I want something more indulgent, I'll generally order a Caramel Macchiato made with 2% milk (the standard) at Starbucks. A Venti (largest size) is 300 calories, 13g of protein, and 45% of calcium. Not too shabby for a treat!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I drink two large coffees a day, no way in hell I'm giving that up.

I've lost 60 lbs.
  • russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    Can't live without my huge matcha bowl of green tea awesomeness in the mornings + some coffee during the day - ideally, I should stay away from that (but lol, no).
    my nephrologist says if you're cleared of any metabolic issues and distal kidney stuff (and cardiac), then caffeine is actually quite amazing for weight loss, esp. if you're a fast metabolizer.

Now soda...there really isn't a benefit to it at all, carbonation, increases cravings, etc.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    I usually start the day with a venti americano and follow that up with coffee until around noon. I drink green tea in the afternoon and diet sodas in the evening. You have bigger things to worry about than caffeine in coffee and soda when it comes to weight loss. Focus on your calories, macros and exercise and don't sweat the little stuff.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Every single pound I've lost has been fully saturated in delicious, bubbly, aspartame ridden Diet Coke. :drinker:

eta: sometimes it's Diet Dr. Pepper if I'm feeling adventurous
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    I haven't had any adverse effects from diet soda or coffee.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Diet soda is one of the worst items to have in your diet. It is actually worse than regular soda. With the amount of acids and chemicals in diet soda (artificial sugars), your better off drinking the real thing.

Soda in general is just awful, and really can make a huge impact on results if you can cut it out of your diet. Although everyone is different, I guarentee you will feel much better without in the long run :)

Coffee on the hand, I am guilty. I have one cup of black coffee every morning, sometimes I add Stevia. Yes, coffee dehydrates you, so if you have a cup, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the rest of the day! It is certainly a hard habit to kick, but for those of us who wake up at the crack of dawn. need that pick me up by the time we get to work. It does in fact speed up your metabolism, but it can take nutrients out of your blood if you don''t stick to that minimum amount of daily water intake.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Diet soda is one of the worst items to have in your diet. It is actually worse than regular soda. With the amount of acids and chemicals in diet soda (artificial sugars), your better off drinking the real thing.

Le sigh

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • kristin_lee76
    kristin_lee76 Posts: 5 Member
    I think coffee is much better for you than diet soda. Diet soda has chemicals and the carbonation isn't great for you.... I'd stick with coffee. And caffeine has some proven positive side effects - for me, it's a mood boost and I use caffeine for a boost when I am cycling (doing long rides).
  • kristin_lee76
    kristin_lee76 Posts: 5 Member
    Agree - and it's proven as well.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Diet soda has chemicals

19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg
  • Naina145
    Naina145 Posts: 4 Member
    I drink about two cups of coffee a day and a can of diet soda without any issues although I still make sure to drink about 64oz of water a day if not more.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Diet soda has chemicals

19ctggrnhxpvvjpg.jpg
    love this picture