Quit Weight Watchers but don't want to QUIT my weight loss

Options
Hi! I'm Robin and I just cancelled my Weight Watchers membership. EEK!

My favourite thing about WW has always been the flexible weekly points--they fit nicely into "real life", not just "diet life"--but with Points Plus I would gain or maintain if I used them. It was creating a lot of guilt and weird stress around my meal planning and kind of defeating the purpose of paying for the plan in the first place. I also much prefer MyFitnessPal's online tools. They are sleek and user friendly, and the barcode database seems to be much more extensive. I've used MFP off and on for years now, but never really committed.

I would like to lose another 20 lbs or so after I reach my next goal, and I hope this is the place to do it. Having lost 14 lbs so far with WW, I can confidently say that I feel so much healthier when I'm eating smaller meals, avoiding bad habits like bingeing before bed, and carrying less weight on my frame. Yes, I'd love to fit into all my clothes again. But nothing compares to waking up in the morning and feeling GOOD.

I am just afraid of this in-between period I'm in now. It's hard to muster up the same enthusiasm I felt when I joined WW and was starting fresh. Any tips for a smooth transition or for mustering up some new motivation? Anyone recently done the same and have any lessons or successes to share?

Replies

• HealthyHappyKatie
    HealthyHappyKatie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,

My name is Katie and I just quit my WW membership too---and totally agree with you on the EEK!!! part. I'm feeling like the switch (which I just did over the weekend) has rejuvinated my dedication to losing weight. It's nice to have new tools to explore instead of the same-old WW stuff that obviously wasn't working for me.

Best of luck! "Friend" me if you want to be buddies on this journey.

Fondly,
    Katie
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,

This in-between period is difficult and takes some getting used to. Just a bit of advice that I found helpful: for years I tried to include aspects of every diet that people recommended (GI, Atkins, WW, SW, etc, etc) and all it got me was frustrated and defeated. I ended up gaining weight!

Since coming to MFP and just counting the calories and keeping an eye on my Macros, I have been able to focus on the one style that easily fits in with real life - not having to carry around a book for point values wherever I go!

Since you've been on MFP for a few years now, you know how it works but finding motivation is not easy. Try to take the transition one day at a time or one meal at a time. You might make a few mistakes, you might get fed up but keep on keeping on. It'll sink in eventually :)

I hope that this helps! Good luck with the changeover :)

Kaela x
  • billsyts
    billsyts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have switched from WW to MFP, and I have had a much better experience with MFP. One of the things I like about MFP is the flexibility to alter short term goals. It is too easy for me to get bored with the same routine, and MFP allows me to focus on things such as limiting my carbohydrate intake or increasing my Cardio exercise. I would encourage you to try utilizing some of the "partner apps". By using a Fitbit or tracking your walks with Map My Fitness, you can regularly find new and engaging ways to continue the path to better health.
  • mfp_robin
    mfp_robin Posts: 8
    Options
    Great suggestion! Thank you! I currently use Strava for tracking walks, hikes, and bike rides, but I don't think it integrates with MFP. I've been meaning to check out the Fitbit, though. Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: Oops! Thought hitting "reply" would automatically include the user name that I was replying to. This was for billsyts :)
  • mfp_robin
    Options
    Hi Robin,

This in-between period is difficult and takes some getting used to. Just a bit of advice that I found helpful: for years I tried to include aspects of every diet that people recommended (GI, Atkins, WW, SW, etc, etc) and all it got me was frustrated and defeated. I ended up gaining weight!

Since coming to MFP and just counting the calories and keeping an eye on my Macros, I have been able to focus on the one style that easily fits in with real life - not having to carry around a book for point values wherever I go!

Since you've been on MFP for a few years now, you know how it works but finding motivation is not easy. Try to take the transition one day at a time or one meal at a time. You might make a few mistakes, you might get fed up but keep on keeping on. It'll sink in eventually :)

I hope that this helps! Good luck with the changeover :)

Kaela x

Thanks for sharing! There is SO MUCH diet advice out there, and so much of it is conflicting. It can make it hard to hear my own body. Getting back to MFP does feel like getting back to basics.

The points bias in WW guided me towards their version of "good" foods, and away from their idea of "bad" foods, and it didn't always feel right. I found myself eating way too much meat for my sensitive digestive system.
  • mfp_robin
    Options
    Hi Robin,

My name is Katie and I just quit my WW membership too---and totally agree with you on the EEK!!! part. I'm feeling like the switch (which I just did over the weekend) has rejuvinated my dedication to losing weight. It's nice to have new tools to explore instead of the same-old WW stuff that obviously wasn't working for me.

Best of luck! "Friend" me if you want to be buddies on this journey.

Fondly,
    Katie

Hi, Katie! We can do it! *high five* Thanks for reminding me I'm not alone in this :)
  • kathrynpharper
    kathrynpharper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit my WW online membership several months ago. (I didn't like attending meetings and preferred the online tool.) I've been dithering with my life food plan for a long time. I do better when I track, but then I get to a state of resentment for having to track in order to do better, so I rebel. And gain weight. I've lost and regained the same 15 pounds for years.

Long long ago, before I met my husband, I exercised well and ate austerely -- healthily but not overmuch. I exercised as a way of coping with unhappy living situations -- it got me out of the house. I couldn't afford to buy a lot of indulgent foods. So I was in shape and at a weight I felt good at. (Never mind that the BMI charts didn't agree. I felt strong and well and good.) Then I met my husband and got very fat. I've been this way for 15 years now. We're both couch potatoes. That drive to cope via exercise is gone, and I haven't established a solid motivating force since.

With time passing, metabolism changes (hello middle age), etc. I have a 6 year old daughter. My body feels too old for me. I want strength, flexibility, movement, and confidence again. So I need companions. People who inspire me and who will say, "Hey, haven't seen you in awhile on MFP" if I slack off. I'm developing some in-person friendships with moms who go to my local YMCA. But friends here would help too.

In another forum topic on whether to track calories during social events, I read several perspectives. At social events, some people still track carefully and stay within limits, because they do better overall. Another person said he tracks calories just to see but doesn't worry if he goes over the daily number. Then another person shared an idea that I will definitely try: every two weeks or so, she gives herself a day off from being concerned with numbers. She doesn't track for one day. That gives her a break and a feeling of freedom.

This time around on MFP I've decided to give myself lots of caloric space. My weight-loss goal is half a pound a week. That gives me enough daily calories that I don't feel deprived. I would love company on this path.

Kathryn
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm a former WW member as well. It's a great program and I lost weight but I was just tired of paying for it and having to convert everything to points. I plan to count calories for life so might as well count actual calories. Converting everything to points gets old.

You don't have to quit weight loss by switching to fitness pal, you've actually made a very smart choice coming here. Firstly weight watchers and MFP are very similar because they are both calorie counters. They both also focus on long term and healthy weight loss which is also good.

The primary difference between the two is that most vegetables on WW are zero points. This isn't magic, WW simply gives you a lower calorie goal than what MYP then say eat all the fruit and veggies you want. Nothing wrong with that, it's actually smart because veggies and fruits have more nutritional value and will fill you up better. I dare you to try and eat 800 calories worth of broccoli. Now that you're here on MYP make sure you record EVERYTHING. Still eat veggies, more bang for your calorie bucks.

The best way to lose weight is to count calories and focus on slow but consist long term weight loss vs. the get think quick scheme diets and supplements that people flock to. Some of the extreme diets can help you shed lbs quickly, but I guarantee that you'll learn nothing and gain the weight back quickly. Not to mention a lot of the fads are literally putting your health at risk.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin :)

I have never been on WW, but I know plenty of friends/family that have. It can become dependent, and I can feel for your "eek" feeling. No worries though, MFP is FREE and you have a GREAT support system. Think of the positives: you are saving money, you don't have to convert into points (you can just straight count your calories) and most people here are in the same boat as you! I would absolutely recommend utilizing this site as much as possible. Everyone on here is so great, and plenty of people have helpful hints and advice.

Don't be afraid to track every single item you eat (even if you consider something a "cheat). I would also recommend def. buying a food scale. I actually bought the WW one at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20. It makes a HUGE impact. MFP is just as awesome as WW journal.

You don;t have to be afraid for what may happen just because you cancelled your membership! If you have the correct mentality, healthy eating habits, and time for some excersise, you will be just fine! :)

Please feel free to ask for any advice/help with nutrition or anything else :)
  • airenb
    airenb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Robin,

I too am a former WW. I did WW on and off for the last 10 years before my child and after. I've never lost more than 26lbs with WW and honestly I was tired of spending the money. I've been using myfitnesspal like you as well. On and off again but never committed. I've just decided to be in a committed relationship with not only weight loss but MFP and my Fitbit. If you haven't used a fitbit I really recommend it. I'm currently on day 3 and loving it! Read a good book called.....The Skool of Hard Knocks Presents: ***** Slap Any Diet in just 3 weeks. LOL I loved it and it was very short. You can find it on Kindle reader or Amazon I'm sure. Hope you are successful! If you want to add a friend along please feel free to add me. Oh and I went from WW to Whole 30! Pretty different but the concept makes more since!

Airen
  • Erica_L_C
    Erica_L_C Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am Erica and I am also having difficulty losing weight on the Weight Watchers Points Plus plan even with exercising 5 days a week with high intensity interval training.

I am looking forward to using MFP to really examine the calories I eat throughout my day and make sure I am getting a good balance of protein, fat, carbs while minimizing sugar intake (my big weakness!).

Wishing everyone lots of success!

Cheers,

Erica