Plateau help!

Options
I have not seen a decrease in weight for several months. I stay at 126-128lbs consistently, but never get below 126.
My diary is open and I am aware of areas for improvement such as takeaways/eating out as I cannot know how many calories are in these meals though I try to account for them in my food planning.
I do 3-4 strength training sessions a week (Bret Contreras Strong Curves body-weight - I plan to to the beginner's lifting program, but I cannot as yet).
I try to do a couple of HIIT sessions a week, usually taking the form of 30sec action then 10sec rest for four or more rounds.
My body fat percentage has been estimated at 27-28% based on pictures from mid April and May, but I think it may be around 25-26% at the moment. The fat2fit military bf% estimates me at 26.5% and the Covert Bailey at 21.5% (this seems too low). My goal bf% is about 20-21%.
My calorie goal is 1600 per day, with 100g protein, 53g fat and 180g carbs. This is based on the IIFYM calculator set to fat loss by a 15% reduction. I usually eat between 1450 to 1600 a day, and macros are generally ok. I weigh and measure breakfast and lunch strictly but dinner less so, though I have made efforts this week.

I have also looked at other TDEE calculator's, putting myself at moderate activity levels and they estimate me at 2109 calories to maintain, while ones using Mifflin-St Jeor or Katch-McCardle gives me about 1900. The former suggests I should eat 1750-1800 to lose, while the latter suggests about 1600.

My question is, is the reason why I haven't lost any weight because I have been eating more than I think due to inaccurate measuring and eating out/takeaways or am I in fact eating slightly too little? Also which calculation is best for fat loss?

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    From what you described, it seems like you're doing pretty good. The calorie level seems good to me. Try to rearrange your macros a bit. Try to increase your protein and shoot for a 40/40/20 macro ratio (protein/carb/fat). Also, really be sure to measure everything you eat to be sure that you're logging accurately. If you're not diligent about this, it pretty easy to have an extra 200-300 calories/day that you don't know about.

Your exercise regime seems great, so I think you just need to tighten up your nutrition.

Allan
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My question is, is the reason why I haven't lost any weight because I have been eating more than I think due to inaccurate measuring and eating out/takeaways or am I in fact eating slightly too little? Also which calculation is best for fat loss?

You are eating too much food. Pick one tool and stick to it. If your TDEE is 2109 then subtract 250 and stick to 1859. This will allow you to lose 0.5 lb. a week. If you are using MFP then set your activity level to accurately match your lifestyle and set your weekly weight loss rate to 0.5 lb. a week and eat back some of your exercise calories. Finally, keep your body hydrated.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I browsed your calorie totals, if you're working out hard, those 1300 days are low. I'd try upping your calories for two weeks and see how your body reacts.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Given your stats, and diary, I am assuming you are including your exercise into the calculation of your TDEE.

That is your mistake mostly.

People massively over estimate the caloric burn of weight lifting, and 160 seconds of HIIT is not the most intensive caloric burn there is.

So, your problem is you are over estimating your burn quite a bit throughout the week. Thus, eating away the deficit you actually have.

Solution:

Recalculate your TDEE given your normal day without exercise. So, if you are a student or a desk worker, you most likely are sedentary.

From there, log your cardiovascular exercises into MFP as you do them and eat back roughly half those calories.
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am working on being accurate this week and next, sticking to 1600 calories 100g protein, 180g carbs, 55g fat.