Battling Food Addiction, have you?

Options
I am curious about how people have dealt with any food addictions. I am sure this could be caused by underlying issues but HOW do you conquer a food addiction? Anyone have any insight, tips, tricks, how did you do it?
Some days I feel like that is all my life revolves around is, when I will eat, what I will eat, where, how much, I am hungry ALL the time. I am constantly feeling like 'I could eat' and would love to. This is all x30 when there is junk around.
But how do I get rid of this addiction, I never feel 'full', almost EVER, and I don't want to keep having days where I am eating myself to death.
My will power is pretty low. Really low. How I have made it a week in to this journey is shocking to me, but I am just trying my best to make small easy decisions and I quit soda, and eat much smaller portions. I just don't know how to 'fix' myself.

Replies

• dgbrown13
    dgbrown13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am going through the same thing! I even have considered Over eaters Anonymous but there are not any meetings near me. I have put out the need for a sponsor here but I have not received a reply. They have online and telephone meetings but I need to actually TALK to some one. I think about food all the time. The thoughts are with me when I wake up and before I go to bed and even in my sleep I will go get something to eat. I weigh myself constantly and get very depressed if the number is not what I want. I just have 10 pounds to lose before I joined Fitness Pals not it is 15. I have actually gained weight:sad: I know why, I just eat to much, but sometimes I feel helpless because I know what to do and what not to. I exercise 5 -6 days a week but I negate that because I eat so much after working out so I feel that if I don't get help and support it is going to go on until I have 20 then 25 pounds to lose. I am going to practice abstinence starting today. One day at a time. I am not going to think about last night because it is over. I am going to begin today by getting rid of the "trigger" foods in my house.
    Keep in touch and know that there are others like us out there. I am going to go exercise now.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I love food, and as a foodie / cook, anytime I see something delicious on tv I have to make it for myself. The way I beat the addiction was to make healthy alternatives to whatever I saw or make it and enjoy smaller portions to satiate my craving.

I cope with it by prepping what I want and leaving the food I really crave for days when I wanna indulge a little. For instance, I love this tonkotsu ramen from this japanese place I go to, but it's like 1100 calories per bowl, so if I'm really craving it, and nothing else will suffice, I'll allow myself to have a bowl of it on the weekend, but workout a little harder to alleviate the guilt.

Working out regularly really helped me get away from over eating and binge eating. I feel like it would be a waste of all the hard work and sweat that I'm putting into working out if I decided to binge and over eat before or after.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I used to say I was addicted to chocolate, sugar, cookies, and anything else that I let control me. I realized that it was not an addiction at all. Just me looking for more excuses for why I didn't take control of my life and my eating.

2 years & 100 pounds ago, I did just that. I started practicing self control when eating foods. I started teaching my brain what a correct portion was for the foods I was eating. I learned to delay my gratification - when I wanted something I would test myself by waiting 5 minutes. The next time, I waited 10 minutes. At some point, I realized that I didn't need most of the food I wanted to put in my mouth. I was able to stay within my calories for the day and have treats when they fit.

So, if you blame this on an addiction, you prolong the inevitable. In order to make this doable for the rest of your life, you have to unlearn the old bad habits and put healthier habits in their place.

Eat the foods you like, learn moderation, & make 80% of your diet healthy.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    First step is to take accountability for yourself. How? Stop calling it an addiction, because it's not. It's a habit, laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity etc. Addiction is a real thing, sometimes a disease, and not to be marginalized as an excuse to eat whatever and however much you want with no consequences.

This, coming from a guy who did the exact same thing. Grow up.
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have to eat smaller portions so make sure that I don't start with the candy and sugars as they trigger me to eat more and they are sliders. I only eat popcorn most of the time if it has powdered cheese protein. Since I eat and track my protein, sugars and fats not calories, I make sure I eat the healthy proteins. I have the sleeve as a tool, but that is not the whole answer. I don't eat bread and only higher protein pasta, cereal, etc. I'm not in the same situation but hope that helps just a little. I'm 67 now and have lost over 100 pounds.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First step is to take accountability for yourself. How? Stop calling it an addiction, because it's not. It's a habit, laziness, irresponsibility, immaturity etc. Addiction is a real thing, sometimes a disease, and not to be marginalized as an excuse to eat whatever and however much you want with no consequences.

Boy, that's tough to hear. That's just what I needed!!!!
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe most of the paleo horse****, it's not even up for debate that humans (hell, pretty much all life) evolved to be opportunistic eaters. On a scale of the entirety of human existence, we've only had easily-available packaged food in front of us for a very short time. We haven't had time to evolve to not living with starvation as a constant threat. For many cultures, this is still a reality.

Anyway, EVERYONE is a food addict because we have evolved to eat as much nutrient dense food as we can in case we don't get to eat again for a long time. And we expend almost no energy to acquire that Twinkie. Left to our own devices, we cannot beat nature. Period.

But that's what's great about tools like MFP: we can track and quantify what we eat to meet our goals. And yes, that means battling hunger sometimes. But at that point, it just comes down to willpower. Either you have it or you don't.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Many people argue whether or not food addiction is a legitimate "real" addiction; I'm not even gonna go there.

Everyone I know who has successfully conquered their addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc has accomplished it the same way - by applying accountability, self control and discipline.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    825.jpg
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am curious about how people have dealt with any food addictions. I am sure this could be caused by underlying issues but HOW do you conquer a food addiction? Anyone have any insight, tips, tricks, how did you do it?
    Some days I feel like that is all my life revolves around is, when I will eat, what I will eat, where, how much, I am hungry ALL the time. I am constantly feeling like 'I could eat' and would love to. This is all x30 when there is junk around.
    But how do I get rid of this addiction, I never feel 'full', almost EVER, and I don't want to keep having days where I am eating myself to death.
    My will power is pretty low. Really low. How I have made it a week in to this journey is shocking to me, but I am just trying my best to make small easy decisions and I quit soda, and eat much smaller portions. I just don't know how to 'fix' myself.

Have you gone to the doctor to get blood tests to make sure everything is okay? I thought about food all the time and I was hungry ALL the time. It never seemed like nothing would feel me up. My willpower is low. Well, a couple months ago I had some routine blood work done and found out I was T2 diabetic. That's what was making me hungry all the time. Also, I was extremely tired. As soon as I started on MFP and tracked calories and carbs and taking my medication I felt normal again. Not saying that you have any medical issues but it's something to check out. I'm not raging hungry like I was before. I don't buy many snacks and treats at my house because I know one serving is hard to stop at. I gave up regular soda. I have diet soda on occasion. You just have to tell yourself no excuses and that you will keep within your calories for the day! Try and met your other macros too. Take baby steps if you need to but keep going in the right direction.
  • tacosandbeerthatswhyimhere
    Options
    It feels like an addiction to me. Sometimes I just feel like I NEED my fix! I become irritable and I get a headache when I deprive myself from sugar too long. It's really hard to change eating habits, but it helped me to learn my 'triggers'--such as eating in front of the tv. Also, certain foods make me have cravings, which cause binge eating. I try not to drink my calories and have learned what foods keep me full longer (for me, cereal in the mornings doesn't keep hunger away as long as an omlet or even a hand full of nuts). Exercise, strength training, and other hobbies help me with the times that I would normally eat out of boredom. I've also found it helpful to eat my macros (I have to really watch my fiber and protein) before I 'treat' myself. Although I try to avoid certain foods-nothing is off limits. If I mess up or over indulge, it's ok, I just try to do better. It also helped me to learn that I can't really gain 5 pounds of fat in one day. If the scale moves up, chances are that I'm just retaining water and it takes a few days for the number on the scale to go back down.
    Learn your triggers, have patience when the scale goes up, and give yourself forgiveness when you screw up.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Boy, that's tough to hear. That's just what I needed!!!!

Agreed. Brutal, but eye opening and it actually makes you want to make changes.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I used to say I was addicted to chocolate, sugar, cookies, and anything else that I let control me. I realized that it was not an addiction at all. Just me looking for more excuses for why I didn't take control of my life and my eating.

2 years & 100 pounds ago, I did just that. I started practicing self control when eating foods. I started teaching my brain what a correct portion was for the foods I was eating. I learned to delay my gratification - when I wanted something I would test myself by waiting 5 minutes. The next time, I waited 10 minutes. At some point, I realized that I didn't need most of the food I wanted to put in my mouth. I was able to stay within my calories for the day and have treats when they fit.

So, if you blame this on an addiction, you prolong the inevitable. In order to make this doable for the rest of your life, you have to unlearn the old bad habits and put healthier habits in their place.

Eat the foods you like, learn moderation, & make 80% of your diet healthy.
    QFT
  • abrittani
    abrittani Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Many people argue whether or not food addiction is a legitimate "real" addiction; I'm not even gonna go there.

Everyone I know who has successfully conquered their addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc has accomplished it the same way - by applying accountability, self control and discipline.

You're totally right. I guess I didn't word this is the best of ways. I am looking to just learn some for now methods of getting over this hunger I have ALL the time. Thus far, I have had all the will power needed to make it, a week isn't a long time but it's longer than anything I have done before and I really believe I can do it! I just need to keep trying. 5 months ago I just decided to quit smoking and did so cold turkey, haven't had a single craving or care to smoke. I was a long time heavy smoker and I just was feeling sick of being sick of smoke and I did it. I am hoping to move this into my fitness and food self too.. it's just a bit hard when all I feel is hungry no matter what I eat. And I am used to having no control so at times control is very hard to maintain.
    Thanks everyone too for all the replies!
  • greenkm2289
    Options
    I just joined, but it's been a lifestyle change that's been in progress for a year-
    1. I removed the junk, only had healthy options
    2. If I slipped, it was for as short a period as possible, I.e. have a cheat meal every now and again, but don't go overbosrd, and if you do, reel it back in asap!
    3. Get support from those around you, you never know when you may just have the same goal as someone close and can be their ally too- aa has sponsors, so do I!
    4. I love food and am always going to be obsessed, so I gear it towards finding the best options
    5. If you are straying at a certain time everyday, drink a glass of water and do some exercise, it helps curb hunger, and if you end up giving in, you at least have burned some calories to earn it!

It's worth the effort!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love food, and as a foodie / cook, anytime I see something delicious on tv I have to make it for myself. The way I beat the addiction was to make healthy alternatives to whatever I saw or make it and enjoy smaller portions to satiate my craving.

I cope with it by prepping what I want and leaving the food I really crave for days when I wanna indulge a little. For instance, I love this tonkotsu ramen from this japanese place I go to, but it's like 1100 calories per bowl, so if I'm really craving it, and nothing else will suffice, I'll allow myself to have a bowl of it on the weekend, but workout a little harder to alleviate the guilt.

Working out regularly really helped me get away from over eating and binge eating. I feel like it would be a waste of all the hard work and sweat that I'm putting into working out if I decided to binge and over eat before or after.

I didn't really ever binge, but otherwise this is really similar to how I approach it (I am not getting into the addiction thing, but just the "how to you deal with wanting food" thing).

Basically, I like good food, so I channel that interest into cooking and getting excited about lower calorie food. If I want to eat something and have time on my hands, I plan a recipe that would satisfy that desire and usually end up excited to try what I am going to make more than whatever it was that started the obsession. If I want to eat, I plan some meals ahead and usually get over it. I have gotten really excited about eating seasonally, especially as that's actually becoming possible, and seeing all the fresh, locally grown options, have gone back to gardening (jury's out on how that goes), so on.

And, yeah, I still go out to eat once a week and have some treats--I just make sure they are special and fit into my calories, often by trying to schedule the meals out on a big workout day (sometimes I flex calories within a week when that's not possible).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to change eating habits, but it helped me to learn my 'triggers'--such as eating in front of the tv. Also, certain foods make me have cravings, which cause binge eating. I try not to drink my calories and have learned what foods keep me full longer (for me, cereal in the mornings doesn't keep hunger away as long as an omlet or even a hand full of nuts).

I think this is all good advice.

If you are struggling to have control, I do think there are tools that help that are not entirely unrelated to some of the kind of advice you will get when dealing with an addiction (a mental one, not talking withdrawal), and I wouldn't be surprised if OA uses such tools.

One huge one relates to environmental triggers. If in your mind you associate a particular chair or activity with overeating or mindless snacking or some such, chances are when you do it your mind will expect food too, and so it probably helps to change up those things. Don't read or watch TV at that time or do it elsewhere or use your hands for something else when doing it. If you habitually got bored at 10 pm and grabbed a snack, have something else to do at that time, so on.

Another relates to emotional or stress eating--if food is the way you dealt, you probably have to have other coping strategies and just wait out that connection. I dealt by journaling for a while, or going for a walk or working out. Also, if you know that a desire to snack will hit under certain conditions (late afternoon on a stressful day at work for me), have something to snack on that is acceptable to you, like carrots. IME, that overwhelming feeling does go away reasonably quickly as you get sensitive to what it really is--not hunger.

Related to that is recognizing things that are going to make it harder for you, and trying to avoid them or be prepared. This is often referred to in AA as HALT (hunger, anger, lonely, tired). Obviously hunger isn't so relevant, but I think being stress or upset or angry, being bored or lonely, and being tired and wanting energy are all triggers for overeating for lots of people. And studies suggest that sleeping too little makes it harder to exercise willpower about food.

And what you choose to eat does help, IME. Making sure I have plenty of protein at each meal and don't rely on carb-heavy snacks to perk me up means that I feel like eating due to being tired or having low energy and also that I feel hungry far less, even those I'm eating fewer calories.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options

^^^this.. exactly

I just had this discussion with someone else a few days ago(she actually told that food addiction isn't real). Unfortunately an addiction to food is so different than others because we can't just delete it from our lives but we can remove triggers and we can change the focus. My problem was never quantity, I really don't eat much per sitting, but I do eat often because I'm always thinking about it. Food prep has helped a lot with this as I always have something healthy and pre weighted and measured that I can grab and go. And because I believe in moderation, the weekends is when I am not so strict on myself. I have a plan and I think that's important.