I want to learn to like running!

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    (First post ever!) I've really just been feeling out this site.. reading posts and learning. I walk everyday some times twice, but I really want to run. Not just to do it but to like it. In the past I've done sport and used to jog/run frequently but never really liked it too much. How can I make it more interesting so I can keep up with it and improve?

PS I have a hectic work schedule and a one year old too

I had both, in addition to a 2 1/2 year old.
    1. Get a Couch to 5k app.
    2. Join the Couch to 5k group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    3. Get fitted for shoes at a running store
    4. Go outside

Note: M&Ms consumed by toddlers in a jog stroller are considered health food.

I agree with all of this, especially the last part, except for us it's Cheerios :)

It's whatever it takes :)
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Getting close to loving running. Always have seen it as a chore. I love the feeling of accomplishment when i'm done and it is such an individual thing that i do for myself - not relying on equipment or gym schedule or commute. I went for a run after watching game 2 of NBA finals at 11pm - what an awesome, peaceful experience - so quiet. I love that i'm not bound by a schedule and can run at anytime. compare that to the 1 year of daily treadmill/elliptical workouts and i feel free! Still doing the elliptical a couple of times a week to make sure i'm not overusing my rusty knees. I usually run 3-5 miles and that seems plenty for me. I don't often get the joy of running in the moment but the lingering feeling after i'm done, i do love. Good luck OP - if you stick with it, it becomes less and less of a "chore" and you come to really like it, then maybe love it?
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    (First post ever!) I've really just been feeling out this site.. reading posts and learning. I walk everyday some times twice, but I really want to run. Not just to do it but to like it. In the past I've done sport and used to jog/run frequently but never really liked it too much. How can I make it more interesting so I can keep up with it and improve?

PS I have a hectic work schedule and a one year old too

an awesome playlist and a scenic route. NO treadmills!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I started running in Feb., all on the treadmill for the most part. I've finally gotten to the point where I can run for 10-15-20 min (maybe even longer), without a side ache (but I'm really, really slow, more like a walk for normal people). The side ache was my biggest obstacle, but now I'm hitting a mental block.

This is my thought process:

"How long have I been running already? Hmm, 20 minutes, not bad. I'm shooting for 60 minutes today, right? So that's 40 more minutes. Can I do 40 more minutes?I don't know if I can do 40 more minutes. Don't worry about it! Just focus on this minute. But It's 39 more minutes. That's like an entire episode of Game of Thrones, almost..." Until I break down and walk for 2 minutes and then start running again.

:mad:

If I can just quit playing the timing mind game, maybe I can start to enjoy it?

Just start enjoying the mind games. And get outside.

I do try to get outside when I can, especially now that it's light out in the mornings. But I need to give my husband a chance to work out on some days too, so someone has to be at home with the kids. They'll be old enough to leave alone for an hour in a few years though.

And I'll work on "enjoying the mind games." I'm my own worst enemy! ;-)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I dislike running. A lot. But a treadmill makes it 10 times worse!

I went on Sunday and I ran for 2km straight, then another 1k, then I walked 2k. I was pumped. I put my headphones in and just ran through a trail. Each time I wanted to stop, I just slowed my pace a bit. I am trying to get out this evening - it's hard with busy kids. But if I can, I'm doing the same trail.

Fake it 'til you make it!
  • jmek926
    jmek926 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K all the way!! and Repeat weeks/days if you need too. Do what your body tells you... but also push yourself (I struggle with this last bit).

Also... I just found RockMyRun app which has music grouped by BPM.... I did my first run with it yesterday at the 135 BPM (i think) and it was so helpful!

Good luck! I am doing c25K if you want to friend.. and motivate each other! Biggest step is getting out the door. lol
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I started running in Feb., all on the treadmill for the most part. I've finally gotten to the point where I can run for 10-15-20 min (maybe even longer), without a side ache (but I'm really, really slow, more like a walk for normal people). The side ache was my biggest obstacle, but now I'm hitting a mental block.

This is my thought process:

"How long have I been running already? Hmm, 20 minutes, not bad. I'm shooting for 60 minutes today, right? So that's 40 more minutes. Can I do 40 more minutes?I don't know if I can do 40 more minutes. Don't worry about it! Just focus on this minute. But It's 39 more minutes. That's like an entire episode of Game of Thrones, almost..." Until I break down and walk for 2 minutes and then start running again.

:mad:

If I can just quit playing the timing mind game, maybe I can start to enjoy it?

Just start enjoying the mind games. And get outside.

I do try to get outside when I can, especially now that it's light out in the mornings. But I need to give my husband a chance to work out on some days too, so someone has to be at home with the kids. They'll be old enough to leave alone for an hour in a few years though.

And I'll work on "enjoying the mind games." I'm my own worst enemy! ;-)

Jog stroller.

My kids also enjoy "racing." I've mapped an 1/8 mile course (up and back) in front of our house. 8 races = 1 mile.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Charity 5Ks do it for me. Knowing I am helping others and the atmosphere at them I find really great. I also like running outdoors at a local park with lots of trees. I put in my headphones and zone out.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. I do disagree with the great disdain for treadmills--I definitely prefer to run outside, with friends or by myself with music, but depending on where you live/your schedule/weather etc, the treadmill is just fine as an occasional option. It's better than not running at all. Yesterday, for example, a friend and I planned to run about 4 miles in a park near where I live. Right before she got to my place, the sky turned black and we had very loud thunder and nearby lightning...for safety reasons, we decided to go to her gym and hit the treadmills. I don't mind running in the rain, but I do mind worrying about dodging a lightning strike!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. I do disagree with the great disdain for treadmills--I definitely prefer to run outside, with friends or by myself with music, but depending on where you live/your schedule/weather etc, the treadmill is just fine as an occasional option. It's better than not running at all. Yesterday, for example, a friend and I planned to run about 4 miles in a park near where I live. Right before she got to my place, the sky turned black and we had very loud thunder and nearby lightning...for safety reasons, we decided to go to her gym and hit the treadmills. I don't mind running in the rain, but I do mind worrying about dodging a lightning strike!

Oh definitely. And when it's freaking below zero. But, if you're trying to love running, it's so much easier to do outside.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Dodging lightning is also referred to as "fast finish" type of tempo run.
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    You're getting some great practical advice here! One thing I wanted to add is part of the mental side. I hated running for years until I started thinking of it as "A Skill I Don't Have". Running became a learning experience instead of doing an activity I didn't like. Most of learning to love running is picking the right program, going slow, getting outside, etc., but you have to work on your attitude toward the activity at the same time. Eventually you may reach a moment where you have a crappy day and lace up your running shoes, not because you have to, but because you want to. That moment will feel GOOD.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I had both, in addition to a 2 1/2 year old.
    1. Get a Couch to 5k app.
    2. Join the Couch to 5k group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    3. Get fitted for shoes at a running store
    4. Go outside

Note: M&Ms consumed by toddlers in a jog stroller are considered health food.

I second this!!!

I've only got the one kid, but i went from starting c25k in 2011 only able to run pushing the stroller with my 1 y.o. for one minute to present day. See my profile pic? That's me pushing my exhausted 4 y.o. in my 6th half marathon (1st with the stroller) last month.

You just have to keep at it regularly and you'll improve! Also, I can't stress this enough, but you may need to slow down. When i was first able to run 5k without walking, I was at a 14 min mile. Eventually with experience, I got faster. And now i love running!
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I hated running until I started running on the trails.

I found just running along a sidewalk (or worse, the treadmill) was just too tedious. Once I started going out on the trails I was hooked!
  • Elzecat
    Options

I guess that's one way to work on my kick! :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

You know what I love about running? Runners.
  • Elzecat
    Options

You know what I love about running? Runners.

:flowerforyou:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Took me while to learn to like running. I hate treadmills so learning to run outside, getting well-fitted/high quality running shoes, good running clothes, finding trails that were pretty and challenging and making a play list of fun, upbeat music...now I look forward to my morning run.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    So do I. It's a tough go, and working myself up to actually getting on the treadmill/go to the track is the hardest part.

While I'm doing it I'm tired, uncomfortable, and it physically hurts. Of course I weight 250 lbs, so my joints feel the strain. And still I go.

I run for distance 2 days of the week, and run sprints for speed the other two.

I enjoy the C25k but it's less satisfying on a treadmill.

Just recently I managed a mile in under 15 mins for the first time ever.

I don't love running, but I love how I feel afterwards, healthier and accomplished.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm still relatively new to running but this is what has worked so far:

1) Do either C25K or a "similar" program. This will slowly build up your endurance.
    2) Think in terms of running TIME (how long you can keep running) vs. FAST..at least at the beginning
    3) The ENTIRE way through the program...every single week...I thought to myself during the run "I'll never be able to keep going until the next walk!" Each time, I was wrong.
    4) Give yourself a firm goal to work for. In other words, don't just do the C25K "program"...actually book a 5K. Know that a certain circled date on your calendar is when you have to put up or shut up. It helped me to keep focused on getting my workouts in when many others did not...I knew I didn't want to be "embarrassed" come race day.
    5) Once you have run that 5K...decide...do you want to go for more distance? Or faster speed? Or just running for fun? If it's distance, find a training program geared toward 10K, half marathon, full marathon...whatever you're after. If it's speed, start tracking your time and run with a watch. Use it to "push" yourself to go just a bit faster each time you run that same distance...even two seconds is faster. If it's for fun, start going out of your way to mix it up...run a different direction from your house each time. When that gets dull, hop in the car and drive to a park crosstown and run their trails...etc. etc.
    6) And definitely, whenver possible...OUTSIDE. The scenery never changes on a treadmill...