I hate to exercise...

Options
So, I've never been much of a fan of exercising. I use to play a few sports and run when I was in school, but I've lost all interest and walking more than 2 miles an hour gets me winded. Are there any starter exercises to do for people who hate to exercise? If it helps at all, I live in Phoenix so there are lots of places to walk outside all year long. I also have a free gym at my apartment and a Wii with a balance board. I also have small weights (2lbs). I've already tried all the different weight machines (my guy showed me how to use them properly) and I can't lift the minimum weight more than 3 times without hurting myself. So yeah... need suggestions for a weakling... :(

Replies

• VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Haha, I guess it's just me. No one ever seems to reply to my posts... so yeah, just trying again in case anyone attempts to read this. Trying to find suggestions for starter exercises for someone who is rather weak and easily winded. A lot of the races around here seem rather fun, like The Color Run, but I have trouble even walking so I'm not sure how someone like myself would get into jogging one of these. Thanks in advance to anyone who posts. :)
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred its only 20 minutes (27mins. with strecting), and gives great results. I think it would be a great start for you.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Find something that's not exercise! Play Wii bowling, go for a bike ride, kayaking, etc................that's much better for me. If i'm exercising, I'm watching the clock and it never goes fast enough~! lol
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options
    It doesn't get more basic than walking. Start there. Walk a little faster and/or farther each day.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    You can try c25k which a beginner app for running. Also, try working out for short periods of time, say 15 minutes. Sites like fitnessblender.com has tons of beginner workout routines. As far as lifting weights for strength training its better to use a barbell & plates instead of machines. Strong Lifts is a good strength training routine, 3 days a week and about 45 minutes to do.

That said, you dont have to exercise to actually lose weight.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    deep breathing works.

actually it doesnt work at all. you HAVE to exercise. time to nut up.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You just need to do what you can until that gets easier and then start pushing little by little. It will get easier if you just continue to push yourself alittle more and more.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you enjoy such as dancing, rollerblading, walking the dog or whatever else gets you moving. Or join a gym and work with a trainer to find things you might enjoy.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, you don't "need" it to lose weight. Certainly helps though. Find something you like to do, Aerobics, dancing, running, laser tag, paint ball, swimming or anything that gets you off your butt. For general health purposes you do need to incorporate activity.
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options
    Find something that's not exercise! Play Wii bowling, go for a bike ride, kayaking, etc................that's much better for me. If i'm exercising, I'm watching the clock and it never goes fast enough~! lol

I'd love to bicycle, but I've already had two bikes stolen that were double-locked and put up, so that ones a no...

Does anyone know how those stationary bikes compare to a real bike? We have some of those in my gym. And as for walking, would it work just as well to increase the distance instead of speed? I seriously can't up my speed, I've tried the whole up it by .1 on the treadmill every day and at 3 I just can't do it.
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, you don't "need" it to lose weight. Certainly helps though. Find something you like to do, Aerobics, dancing, running, laser tag, paint ball, swimming or anything that gets you off your butt. For general health purposes you do need to incorporate activity.

Do dancing and laser tag actually count as exercise? I did both for my son's birthday and I was fine after about 30 minutes.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just saw the part about the free gym membership. I would start there. I HATED my workout until I started seeing results. Now I hate missing it. Also, lifting weights help you burn fat. Start small and work your way up.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options

I'd love to bicycle, but I've already had two bikes stolen that were double-locked and put up, so that ones a no...

Does anyone know how those stationary bikes compare to a real bike? We have some of those in my gym. And as for walking, would it work just as well to increase the distance instead of speed? I seriously can't up my speed, I've tried the whole up it by .1 on the treadmill every day and at 3 I just can't do it.

Are you physically disabled? Why can't you up your speed? :S
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    deep breathing works.

What he said.....but meaner.
  • Fit4MeAlways
    Options
    You listed so many options in your original post that you took all of my good ideas.
    Start walking. Do what you can do. After a few weeks, you will find that your ability increased as you went.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    deep breathing works.

yup.
    unfortunately.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It's going to hurt and be uncomfortable until you build up some tolerance for it. The pain means it's working. "Sack" up and keep moving. You'll get stronger and better the more you do it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying different stuff until you find something you like.

I started off doing a lot of walking on the treadmill (aka hell) until I found FitnessBlender.com. Doing HIIT or cardio kickboxing in my underwear in the comfort of my own home was soooo much better than being miserable on some cardio machine or, even worse, outside during South Carolina summers. I've never been a runner, so that was out too. FitnessBlender held me over until I discovered heavy lifting about 10 weeks ago. I started lifting three days per week and only two days of cardio (still FitnessBlender) - I absolutely love it. I've never looked forward to my workouts until now. It's not even work now; it's just a hobby. I haven't missed a single workout in almost 4 months.

If you can only lift the minimum weight on a machine three times, you need to work on that. I know you can lift more than 2 lb dumbbells, though. Lift heavy for you, progressively increase your weights, and build up some strength. This will also help prevent muscle loss if you're eating at a deficit.

If all else fails, pull up the big girl panties and just DO IT.
  • VaporeonSugar
    Options

Are you physically disabled? Why can't you up your speed? :S

I'm not, but I'm not an exercise kind of person. 5 minutes of 3 - 3.5 mph walking hurts and I have asthma. I only did about four seasons of any sport throughout my entire school career, so I also have no muscles and no real experience doing anything at all. The most walking I do is grocery shopping for thirty minutes and that's only once a week. Keeping house and my job exert literally almost no physical effort.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Do dancing and laser tag actually count as exercise? I did both for my son's birthday and I was fine after about 30 minutes.

Absolutely counts, especially the way I play, I tend to push myself harder because I'm having fun. I walk out of there pretty tired. and it really works my core (from the ducking and moving).