Well. Day one of 60 pound goal!

Options
Well, after having some major health scares -- I decided today is the day. I need to lose 60 pounds. I have started my "diet" and starting a 5 day boot camp tonight. Though I am SCARED, I am ready.. However, I lack a lot of simple tips that could help me go a long way. I am open to any ideas, and suggestions -- especially on the "food" part of my weight lose plan! THANKS :)

Replies

• tao223
    tao223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the club :-) I too have had some health scares and have decided i need to lose about 60 pounds as well. If you are interested in some food tips you can look at my food diary. I put everything in there and its based on something that can be really done by everybody. Good luck and dont be too hard on yourself or you will burn yourself out.
  • troyk
    troyk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Good for you! Day 1 is the best and most important!

More qualified people than me will have food recommendations for you, but eat good, sensible food. Become your own nutritionist. It's about life style/life-time change, not amazing diet. "Boot Camp"? Okay, but same goes for exercise, find something sustainable that you can do for the rest of your life. That's what will make the difference.
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Thank you! Yes the "Boot Camp" Is actually -- simply just exercise with a group of people, but they push you.. If it was up to me, I would go to the gym -- stay 20 minutes and be done. This will at least give me the power to do 60 minutes of continuous, and various exercises! I also have a tredmill and bike at home, and plan to do my own personal exercises as well.
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I wish you good luck with your new lifestyle venture! I'm starting off with a target of 48 pounds - and then see where I want to go from there. This is the first time that I think I have been really serious about losing weight. Dieting is never easy, and although I am also new to MFP, I have found it to be invaluable to keep on top of what goes in your mouth! The forum is a fantastic source of tips and the folks on here are wonderful motivators - it's really good to share your ups and downs with a group of people who understand what you are going through. I just read this blog - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RaeNicoll/view/how-to-lose-weight-without-losing-your-mind-57696 - Very useful tips.
    Add me as a friend if you like :happy:
    Karen x
  • bobbiewright
    Options
    Good Luck to you! I also have 60 pounds to loose, I would have to say the most inportant thing is takeing it one day at a time.
  • jyc1
    jyc1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am only on the second day and I am 1000 calories over what I should be. How can I suppress my appetite. I really an hungry,
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Wow, Thank you! As I am new to the dieting -- I am new to the site. I didn't know I could see other's diaries! Helpful! :)))
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Thank you so much! Good luck with your new journey as well!
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    Good for you in taking that first step!

Tip #1 Make sure you track everything you eat, all that little stuff builds up, and sometimes you would be suprised how many calories some foods have over others.

Tip#2 dont try to give up whole food groups, or go on a "this or that" only diet, or try to eat as few calories as you can. Your body needs all the food groups (in moderation) and cutting too many calories can actually do the opposite.

Tip#3 Eat foods you need... like fruits and vegetables, but dont forget the foods you love. Cutting yourself off from foods that taste amazing can make eating right very difficult. But always make sure you don't over-do it. :)

Tip#4 this is a journey. You will not wake up tomorrow and have the scale say you have lost 20 pounds already. Which I totally wish would happen but, unfortunately it will not. Keep remembering that there is a goal and that in order to reach that goal you have to be somewhere in between first. Also remember the longer it takes for you to lose the weight and change your eating habits to better ones, the more likely you are in keeping it that way. It makes for a lifetime of better eating habits and instead of dieting its just your lifestyle.

Good luck with everything!! Stay positive, and dont ever let a bad day ruin all of the good ones. :)
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Congrats to starting! I too need to shed 60 pounds. I tell myself to take baby steps -- 10 pounds at a time. That should help me from not getting overwhelmed.

You can do it!!!
  • agt1
    agt1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Boot camp is a very aggresive way to start your goal. You should also just try to walk/run, you can powerwalk everyday for 1 hr and it will make a huge difference. As for eating, I don't cook so I keep it super simple. I buy the rotisserie chickens to make salads for lunch. Take a big bowl to work and put tons of spinach, cucumber bell peppers, tomatoes, rotisserie chicken and balsamic vinegar, Tomatoes and bell peppers have sugar but everything else you can eat as much as you want. You can also make a wrap for lunch with the chicken, add goat cheese, and spinach.

For breakfast, I usually do 2-4 boiled egg white and for snacks, you can do soy beans (good protein), more egg whites, almonds (any nut) or a fruit. Try to limit your dairy intake.

I have lost a total of 30 pounds in 4 months so I know you can do it. I have 20 more to go.

If you belong to a gym, do the cycling classes (such a great workout) and I love sumba. Nothing like dancing to make you feel good. I usually laugh at myself because I am so bad at it, but I just keep on moving,
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    Not sure if you will be able to view this or not - I watched a really good programme on BBC the other night - a documentary. Medical journalist Michael Mosley investigates the latest scientific breakthroughs in slimming, uncovering ten of the simplest ways you can shed those pounds.
    Available to watch on BBC iPlayer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/ksh7c/

Karen x
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Boot camp is a very aggresive way to start your goal. You should also just try to walk/run, you can powerwalk everyday for 1 hr and it will make a huge difference. As for eating, I don't cook so I keep it super simple. I buy the rotisserie chickens to make salads for lunch. Take a big bowl to work and put tons of spinach, cucumber bell peppers, tomatoes, rotisserie chicken and balsamic vinegar, Tomatoes and bell peppers have sugar but everything else you can eat as much as you want. You can also make a wrap for lunch with the chicken, add goat cheese, and spinach.

Yes... it seems aggresive, but I honestly think it is what I need. I need someone to stay on top of me... I don't want to do it alone! As far food -- Any types of veggies/chicken are ok correct? And I pretty much will stick to my 3/4 cup cereal in morning. I am not big on eggs....
  • Linshizzle
    Options
    Ok, TOOO WIERD!!! I seen 60lb goal- so I checked it out bkuz I TOO AM WANTING TO LOSE 60LBS!!! Then I seen your name is LINDSAY!!! ME TOO!!! (LindsEy) Then, I seen your jersey- TOTAL DALLAS COWBOYS FAN!!! and guess what- IM FROM TX!!! Not far from ya! TOO CRAZY!!! Anywho- GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!! I have been on this sight for 2 weeks and have lost 4lbs already!!! Every little bit counts!!! Counting all your calories & being aware of what your eating, portion control & alil exercise will deff do the trick!!! Friend me, if you'd like!
  • kpepper07
    Options
    my best advice is to not think of your new begining as a diet, it is not a diet it is a new way of life.............to me a diet is short termed! You have come to the right place to start. Good luck to you!!!!
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    Ok, TOOO WIERD!!! I seen 60lb goal- so I checked it out bkuz I TOO AM WANTING TO LOSE 60LBS!!! Then I seen your name is LINDSAY!!! ME TOO!!! (LindsEy) Then, I seen your jersey- TOTAL DALLAS COWBOYS FAN!!! and guess what- IM FROM TX!!! Not far from ya! TOO CRAZY!!! Anywho- GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!! I have been on this sight for 2 weeks and have lost 4lbs already!!! Every little bit counts!!! Counting all your calories & being aware of what your eating, portion control & alil exercise will deff do the trick!!! Friend me, if you'd like!

REALLY?! That is so weird!!!! lol! Small world, definitly lots in common! Thank you! And good luck on your journey as well :) It is amazing to know that you are not alone!! :)
  • Linshizzle
    Options
    LOL DEFINITELY!!! It really does help to have so much support and ppl around you trying for the same goal!!! Its all I talk about now! & Thanks!