Protein shakes

2»

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Okay so I lost 44 lbs and at my goal weight. the doctor I work with has challenge the nurses to a 1/2 marathon in October. I am trying to build lean muscle while training. I have read so many different articles I have no clue what to believe. I want a protein shake to drink after a hard core gym/exercise day. Whey? Soy? Ugh to many choices. Of course if you go to gnc they want to sell you the most expensive stuff. I don't want to use the wrong product but I don't want to go into the poor house either. I used premier protein which are premade. But I just bought a complete protein called EAS. Then read that soy was bad. Someone who knows about these shakes please fill me in.

I want a lot of protein with out th excess calories and tastes half decent and that won't break the bank,

There is no need to drink one right after a workout unless that is when you enjoy having one. You also need to eat at a surplus to build muscle (no such thing as "Lean muscle") although if you are new to lifting you might make some small newbie gains for a short time.

I want to build muscle without a ton of bulk. I want to look like a woman not the Incredible Hulk

absolutely impossible. you don't have a snowballschance in hell of getting muscle definition like that. Stay natural, stay with protein that I suggested and exercise hard and you will get toned and gain some muscle but your not going to look like a muscle girl - girls are wired much differently.

plus u'd have to be sub 15% body fat percentage to even have a six pack.. once you have a six pack I'd start to ask how far you want to go.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Okay so I lost 44 lbs and at my goal weight. the doctor I work with has challenge the nurses to a 1/2 marathon in October. I am trying to build lean muscle while training. I have read so many different articles I have no clue what to believe. I want a protein shake to drink after a hard core gym/exercise day. Whey? Soy? Ugh to many choices. Of course if you go to gnc they want to sell you the most expensive stuff. I don't want to use the wrong product but I don't want to go into the poor house either. I used premier protein which are premade. But I just bought a complete protein called EAS. Then read that soy was bad. Someone who knows about these shakes please fill me in.

I want a lot of protein with out th excess calories and tastes half decent and that won't break the bank,

There is no need to drink one right after a workout unless that is when you enjoy having one. You also need to eat at a surplus to build muscle (no such thing as "Lean muscle") although if you are new to lifting you might make some small newbie gains for a short time.

I want to build muscle without a ton of bulk. I want to look like a woman not the Incredible Hulk

There is 0% chance of that happening.

^srsly.

I'm in my first bulk, been lifting for a year and WANT to look bulky but the fact is, women lack the testosterone to look "manly" or "hulkish". Be careful, OP on how you're coming across. There's many hardworking lifting ladies who are rolling their eyes right now
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Ok so from majority whey is the way to go. Apparently the one I bought is milk and soy protein. I will have to finish this one up first before I start trying another new one. I will definitely have to try it blended with fruit and almond milk that sounds great.

So it's not necessary to drink within 30 mins of completing a workout? You can have it for a snack? How much protein is too much? Should I drink only one a day? I am not looking for a meal replacement. More of a protein replacement. Which is why I want it low in calories.
  • SugaryLynx
    No, you have like a 24 hour window for protein to help with recovery. So, unless you like having one right after, there's no dire need. Have it whenever, it's just protein, nothing special. Typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass. If you can hit your protein goal without it, you don't even need it
  • MrTolerable
    lolz and your worried about looking like she-hulk ;PPP

pick your macro's. I personally try to be at 35-45% of all foods I consume making it protein. most people I know recommend at least 1.5g per lb of lean muscle. So figure out what your body fat percentage is professionally, or use the scale for a guesstimate, multiply the percentage of body fat to your total weight and subtract that number by your total weight and then multiply that by 1.5g and I think you should know your daily intake lvl should be.

I recommend consuming cottage cheese, lots of salmon, chicken, pork, steak, and eggs - at least a huge meal of one of these daily, and then having 2-4 protein shakes about 24g each on top of that.

-make sure you are killing it in the gym... hard hard hard hard work or that protein is going to be nothing but an expensive poop.
  • MrTolerable
    No, you have like a 24 hour window for protein to help with recovery. So, unless you like having one right after, there's no dire need. Have it whenever, it's just protein, nothing special. Typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass. If you can hit your protein goal without it, you don't even need it

^there you go, and I guess for ladies they recommend 1g so do the equation I said but multiply it by 1g instead of 1.5... or I guess don't multiply it just eat a gram for every lb of lean muscle.

Good luck!!! :D I'm crossng my fingers for you!
  • Livingdeadnurse

^srsly.

I'm in my first bulk, been lifting for a year and WANT to look bulky but the fact is, women lack the testosterone to look "manly" or "hulkish". Be careful, OP on how you're coming across. There's many hardworking lifting ladies who are rolling their eyes right now

Wasn't trying to offend anyone. I am a beginner and just looking for advice. Everyone has different goals. It was meant as a clarification not an insult. I would lack the discipline to be a body builder.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Here is an excellent read.......

Is nutrient timing dead? And does "when" you eat really matter?

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing
  • SugaryLynx

^srsly.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone. I am a beginner and just looking for advice. Everyone has different goals. It was meant as a clarification not an insult. I would lack the discipline to be a body builder.

Np, just saying unless you're taking steroids and going crazy with weightlifting for years, you'll be fine :D
  • Livingdeadnurse

pick your macro's. I personally try to be at 35-45% of all foods I consume making it protein. most people I know recommend at least 1.5g per lb of lean muscle. So figure out what your body fat percentage is professionally, or use the scale for a guesstimate, multiply the percentage of body fat to your total weight and subtract that number by your total weight and then multiply that by 1.5g and I think you should know your daily intake lvl should be.

I recommend consuming cottage cheese, lots of salmon, chicken, pork, steak, and eggs - at least a huge meal of one of these daily, and then having 2-4 protein shakes about 24g each on top of that.

-make sure you are killing it in the gym... hard hard hard hard work or that protein is going to be nothing but an expensive poop.

Definitely killing it at the gym. I can't go everyday working nights 3 days a week but all my other days I am there. I do what I can on my work days either using home weights, running or circuit training as soon as I get home before bed.
  • MrTolerable

Definitely killing it at the gym. I can't go everyday working nights 3 days a week but all my other days I am there. I do what I can on my work days either using home weights, running or circuit training as soon as I get home before bed.

That's wut up!!!

Keep up the motivation - you already look great, now it's time to get the summer sexxxxy vibe cooking ;D

Make it happen! stay sharp! Smile often! :drinker:
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Thanks everyone for the info.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    So I finished my eas complete protein container and switched to an all whey product called dynamize ISO chocolate flavor. Which has really upset my stomach. I love the tase of the first container but it's a blend of milk protien and soy protein. And with all the rumor on soy I am too worried about going back. Also the dynamize has a god awful aftertaste I can seem to drown out after...ugh.

Any advice? Allergy to whey? Or too much protein since it metabolizes faster than the soy?
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Drink milk, contains whey and casein, plus a perfect balance of carbs protein and fat.
    Stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/
    Organic, natural....no need to mess with powders.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Try Optimum Nutrition whey. Great flavors, easy to digest.