Painting can I consider it exercise?

Options
asia1967
asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
Ok I have a quick question, I have a pretty sedentary life. I have been getting more active since joining MFP. My question is if I painted outside for 2 house should I be able to count that as an exercise? There was a lot of bending and stretching.
Thanks

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It is unusual exercise and your muscles will probably hurt for the next few days, but painting is not particularly aerobic, so you probably didn't burn that many calories.

I would log it as something like "walking, moderate pace", at best. Actually, I probably wouldn't log it. Sorry. It'll feel like you should get more credit for it, but no :)
  • asia1967
    Options
    OK Thanks, I kind of figured that but you can't blame a girl for trying. :grumble: :laugh:
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean tho! i painted y bedroom and then my livingroom. omg it was most definitely a work out up and down the ladder and the roller. i was exhausted! but i didnt log it... suppose you could log it as cleaning... there is that option x
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    I think it depends on what you were painting... Painting a canvas and painting a house are two completely different things.
    If you were doing some large scale painting, the most similar log might be light cleaning.

Although, I don't believe in logging anything that wasn't intended to burn calories, but if you're sedentary it might be different! I wouldn't personally log that though.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Ok I have a quick question, I have a pretty sedentary life. I have been getting more active since joining MFP. My question is if I painted outside for 2 house should I be able to count that as an exercise? There was a lot of bending and stretching.
    Thanks

Log as 'home repair (painting, wallpapering). It's in the database. When I log this type of thing, I set the stopwatch then stop it for any breaks. When I'm finished I subtract 10% and log the time less 10% for the calorie burn. Have fun painting. I'm doing the same tomorrow but on a smaller scale :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I would count it. I'm amazed at how many calories gardening and house cleaning burn. And I think they really do because I'm able to increase calories o those days.
  • asia1967
    Options
    Thanks for your quick responses. If I wasn't sedentary I wouldn't even have asked. However I am trying to remedy that, so I think I will do as jmv7117 said and log even 30 min so show something for my efforts. After I am more fit and mobile, I will reconsider that.

Thanks again guys.
  • asia1967
    Options
    Jmv7117 I could not find home repairs or painting under the data base. Any suggestions?
  • asia1967
    Options
    Tracydr I thought it should count for something. After all that let you count using a riding lawn mower to cut the grass. Besides I don't log my house work. Just the things that I don't usually do like painting, raking the lawn, going for a walk etc.

It is good to know that we are burning quite a few calories though.:wink:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Jmv7117 I could not find home repairs or painting under the data base. Any suggestions?

Try the database here then enter it manually in MFP http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned/home-repair-painting-papering-plastering-scraping-inside-house-hanging-sheet-rock-remodeling.asp
  • asia1967
    Options
    Jmv7117 Thanks couldn't find in the database but was able to through the web site. Appreciated the info:bigsmile:
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It does not really matter if you log it or not. You still did it. Your body will reward you for it.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tracydr I thought it should count for something. After all that let you count using a riding lawn mower to cut the grass.

^^^This. OMG I was so surprised when I saw that! I use a push mower for an hour and a half each time so I definitely log that. I'm sedentary as well (and have my MFP stuff set to reflect that) so I would totally log house painting. :wink: