What to do with 25 green peppers?!

Options

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I didnt read all of the responses so I dont know if this has already been said, but you can chop them up or slice them up and freeze them.. They freeze really well!!! That way they are ready for anything you want to use them in.. Fajitas..stir fry.... spanish rice.. spaghetti sauce... omelets... casseroles... the options are endless...
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Take one down, pass it around... 24 green peppers left to give away! LOL.

Actually, everyone has already suggested my top uses: stuffed peppers, fajitas, and freezing for later use.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I would stuff 10 of them with ground beef/rice cover in tomato sauce and freeze them. I would chop/dice 10 of them up and freeze.

I would eat the other 5 this week.

I'd do this.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I froze the peppers from my garden last year I chopped some into strips for tacos and I diced some along with celery and onions so I had a mix for chili and spaghetti. You don't have to blanch (quick boil) peppers onions or celery which makes it way more convenient to freeze them. I defrost mine in the microwave for three minutes, drain the water off and toss them into whatever I'm making,
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    >> Decorate. Like this ingenious Realtor.

wow - where do you get these relevant pictures. Unbelievable

I would not slice them, they'll dry out faster - I keep them in the refrigerator vegetable drawer and maybe put a couple drops of water on them. Eat one or two per day and they're gone in two weeks.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    you could also cut them in half, stuff with sauteed onions, mushrooms and roast beef, lather with cheese and bake them....low carb philly cheese steak :love:
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    >> Decorate. Like this ingenious Realtor.

wow - where do you get these relevant pictures. Unbelievable

I would not slice them, they'll dry out faster - I keep them in the refrigerator vegetable drawer and maybe put a couple drops of water on them. Eat one or two per day and they're gone in two weeks.

Imgur. But beware, you'll lose years of your life there looking at cat pictures.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'd cut up some of them with onion and celery (Cajun "Trinity" - a good base for recipes) and freeze; eat some raw (great with dips); and share the bounty with your neighbors. ;)
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Pickles!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    I would roast them and freeze what you don't need in the short term. This is normally done with red or yellow peppers because they are sweeter, but works well with green as well.

Grill or broil in the oven, turning occasionally so that the skin is blackened all over. Place hot peppers in a sealed plastic bag or bowl lidded with a plate and allow too cool. This step causes moisture to form between the flesh and the skin which makes them easy to peel. When cool, peel off the skin and discard the seeds. Avoid rinsing in water as this dilutes the taste of the final product. If you have a BBQ fired up you could also do the peppers on the early flames or dying embers which are unsuitable for cooking meat.

Serve peeled peppers as a vegetable, or add to ratatouille or puree with capers and olives and olive oil to make a sauce for fish or chicken. Freeze any peeled peppers you don't plan to use right away.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers freeze well. Chop some for things like chili and slice some for things like fajitas.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have peppers in the freezer, which works well. Also dehydrated would work very nicely and take less storage room.
    Our favorite thing to do with lots of hot peppers is to ferment a mash with salt. Omg, the hot sauce is amazing! We also make a fresh salsa out of the fermented hot sauce by adding cilantro, tomatoes and onions. A bit of lime juice and organic apple cider vinegar. This will last in the fridge for months.
    I wouldn't do this with bell peppers but I think they might be really tasty fermented as a whole pepper, then used as a pickled pepper in salads or as a snack.
    I sometimes make kimchi out of excess produce. It's easy and very tasty. I have garlic chives and I could never find good uses. Now I make it into big jars of kimchi and its a tasty salad, hardly any calories! Bell peppers could be pickled,too. Kimchi is just a quick (. 1-2 day) pickle with lots of spices.
    I've also frozen stuffed peppers and in fact, should do that with some of my 20 lbs of peppers sitting on the counter. The poblanos and mild , jumbo jalapeños would be tasty as stuffed peppers.
  • Renneke
    Renneke Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    you could also cut them in half, stuff with sauteed onions, mushrooms and roast beef, lather with cheese and bake them....low carb philly cheese steak :love:

This makes me want to run to store to buy peppers!
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You could freeze them, pickle them, or trade with someone who has a surplus of another veggie/fruit/etc. Or you could be generous and give some to someone who is not fortunate enough to have access to fresh produce.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have found several yummy recipes for Stuffed Pepper Soup online. I normally buy lots of green peppers when they are in season and freeze multiple batches of this soup for the fall/winter months. Good luck!
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

This sounds like a GREAT low carb recipe!! Thanks!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We freeze ours and use them all winter long. The freeze pretty well and don't take long to thaw.
  • bremca28
    bremca28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is a veggie co op?
  • cuapater
    cuapater Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm part of a fruit/vegetable scheme which involves paying a nominal amount and getting fresh fruit and veggies delivered to me once a week. The catch? I can't actually choose what they give me- I just plan my meals around what I get! (It makes for some interesting menus...) So this week I got some pretty regular stuff.... potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, grapes, etc. and.... 25 green peppers?! I only just got them to fit in the vegetable drawer in my fridge.
    What in the world can one do with 25 green peppers before they go bad?
    Thanks for your help!

I would just eat them all in 2 days. Bell pepper all the things. <3
  • natalieblair84
    Options
    Can someone say fajita party!!!