Controlling Hunger

Options
Hello all! I'm a brand new member to MFP but not new to the challenge of weight loss. One of my biggest set backs is trying to control my hunger. I have a problem of over-eating (like eating an entire footlong sub in one sitting!) and I guess my body is just used to this lifestyle. Even though I'm only on day four of my journey, I'm already noticing how hungry I get in-between meals. Do any of you have any suggestions for snacks that wont' take up all my calories but also won't leave me with the ravenous feelings of hunger? This is what caused me to stop the last time I attempted to regain control of my out of control self so I would definitely appreciate any input!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm a brand new member to MFP but not new to the challenge of weight loss. One of my biggest set backs is trying to control my hunger. I have a problem of over-eating (like eating an entire footlong sub in one sitting!) and I guess my body is just used to this lifestyle. Even though I'm only on day four of my journey, I'm already noticing how hungry I get in-between meals. Do any of you have any suggestions for snacks that wont' take up all my calories but also won't leave me with the ravenous feelings of hunger? This is what caused me to stop the last time I attempted to regain control of my out of control self so I would definitely appreciate any input!
    Water.

and lots of water.
    I start the day with two big glasses of water, and then routinely during the day.

If you eat footlong sub.....eat half in one sitting, save the other for later. Easy, AND cheap!

Stay busy and sugar free gum with the water helps.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was never hungry the entire time I lost weight...

What is your calorie goal set at? What is your weekly weight loss goal?

If you are hungry and you aren't eating 1200 and below...try filling up on protien and fibre. Those types of foods keep you feeling fuller longer.

For example greek yogurt is always good, cheese, beef jerky.

If you are at 1200 or below..eat more food...
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Instead of snacking, I started eating more at meals. Specifically breakfast. I started eating more fats and protein at breakfast, and noticed my hunger for a snack didn't roll around at 10 am like it used to. As long as I hit my calorie goal, I don't worry about fat grams. Fat increases satiety, whereas eating low fat can mean you run out of fuel sooner. For me, at least, eating heavier at breakfast and then progressively lighter at lunch and dinner is working great. I eat anywhere between 400-500 calories at breakfast, about 300-400 at lunch, and 300-400 at dinner, depending.

That said, I still snack sometimes in the afternoon. I like a brown rice cake spread with a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese, along with a handful of baby carrots. If I'm hungry in the evening I like greek yogurt (i like nonfat) mixed with berries and some chocolate syrup. It hits that "ice cream" tooth I've had since I was a kid. And I make sure these snacks fit in with my calorie goal. If I'm feeling wild and crazy, some dark chocolate chips mixed with almonds is delicious.

Hardboiled eggs are a good snack, too--protein and fats. Add some apple slices and there's some carbs.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Lots of tea. Making it distracted me, and drinking it helped with water consumption.

I found the "hunger" pangs went after about 2 weeks. First week was the worst.

I have spent so long being overweight I don't trust my body to tell me what it really needs, and I always felt the pangs when I was reading a recipe or planning meals...
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    You probably need to make your diary public for people to give you good ideas of what you could be eating or how you could be eating to help you not become hungry all the time. Just a suggestion...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with hunger. Without knowing your stats, it's hard to give advice. Please proveide your stats:

Height:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Activity Level:
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal:
    Average Daily Calorie Consume:
    Medical Condition:
  • shilowindy
    shilowindy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 21 and 5'1" and my current weight is about 185. I have a goal for 140, but I'm mainly sticky towards body goal, like being able to fit into a certain size jeans and what not. My lifestyle was sedentary but I've started working out and plan on 30 minutes 6 days a week and i plan on amping it up as I get more into shape. I'm currently set at 1200 calories a day.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I eat filling foods, beans, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, soup, cottage cheese, sharp cheese, greek yogurt, popcorn, also snack on some non filling ones also like celery.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 21 and 5'1" and my current weight is about 185. I have a goal for 140, but I'm mainly sticky towards body goal, like being able to fit into a certain size jeans and what not. My lifestyle was sedentary but I've started working out and plan on 30 minutes 6 days a week and i plan on amping it up as I get more into shape. I'm currently set at 1200 calories a day.

is your weekly weight loss goal higher than 1lb? if so change it to 1lb or less.

If not then choose more filling foods as suggested such as protien and fiber rich foods.

Working out does give you extra calories to eat as your deficit is already built in...but you have to eat them back.

I plugged your numbers in to a calculator and based on it you could be eating as much as 1500-1600 calories a day and losing weight (this includes exercise calories) and I only put in exercise 3x a week...so that leads me to believe you are under eating if you are hungry.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    eat smaller meals more frequently. i generally eat approx 200 calories 5 to 6x a day , and eating meals closer together seems to keep the hunger pangs at bay.
  • shilowindy
    Options
    I did have it set at 1.5 lbs a week but dropped it to 1 lbs. Thanks everyone for your help, this is all really confusing and it's great to have the extra support!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry on days I've had tuna.

Tuna salad made with avocado instead of mayo is really good. I like Costco's tuna, the Kirkland brand, they put a nice fillet in the can.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Try to find a balance between treats and satiating food. Foods like granola bars are tasty but, at least for me, they aren't even remotely satiating. I could eat 1000 calories of granola right now and still eat a big dinner later tonight. Try bumping your protein macro a bit higher and eat a bit more chicken/fish/shellfish. Veggies are also excellent when it comes to volume/calorie. I had a huge bunch of kale with dinner last weekend (I literally had to mash the lid down onto the pan, as it was overflowing) and yet we're talking about a trivial number of calories.

And I'll agree with the others, 1200 is probably a bit too aggressive. Slow down a bit, eat more food and try to find a way to stay happy and satiated on a daily basis.
  • shilowindy
    Options
    Thanks this is really helpful! I had a feeling 1200 was a bit much (or rather too little) to start out with but I wasn't entirely sure. It's been bumped up now so we'll see where I get with that! I think my main problem is that I get worried about starting out too softly and then not losing the weight, I just have to keep telling myself to take things slow. I have a big problem with instant gratification and if I don't see results I get discouraged, but I just keep telling myself that it took time to put the weight on and it will take time to get the weight of as well!
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Lots of tea. Making it distracted me, and drinking it helped with water consumption.

I second this, I have a cup of hot tea with each meal, the hot liquid makes me feel very full
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is really helpful! I had a feeling 1200 was a bit much (or rather too little) to start out with but I wasn't entirely sure. It's been bumped up now so we'll see where I get with that! I think my main problem is that I get worried about starting out too softly and then not losing the weight, I just have to keep telling myself to take things slow. I have a big problem with instant gratification and if I don't see results I get discouraged, but I just keep telling myself that it took time to put the weight on and it will take time to get the weight of as well!

There's nothing wrong with being aggressive in your goals - I tend to be the same way. That said, it takes some time to figure out how to balance aggressiveness with sustainability. You don't want to be so aggressive that you make yourself miserable, as that can lead to burning out after a few weeks/months. Take it a step at a time and keep your focus on the long-term/big picture.
  • liveandlove788
    Options
    Grapes always tend to fill me up. You could also try a cut up apple with some peanut butter.
    Maybe you need to pack in more fiber or protein with your other meals to help curve this hunger too.
    For example, I've been having a bowl of oatmeal with half a cut up banana and a few chocolate chips for sweetness for breakfast 3-4 times a week and it wasn't until I mixed in a spoonful of peanut butter that I noticed I wouldn't be hungry until 5 hours later. Small changes can work wonders.
  • liveandlove788
    Options
    I'm not hungry on days I've had tuna.

Tuna salad made with avocado instead of mayo is really good. I like Costco's tuna, the Kirkland brand, they put a nice fillet in the can.

I've also had similar results with tuna.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Things with protein!

I didn't try it for ages.

It does work!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Water
    A walk - even once around the building I work in will make me feel less hungry
    Cherry tomatoes, grapes, cucumbers, apple slices
    Increase your protein. It really does work to keep me satisfied longer