So we just bought an entire crate full of strawberries...

Options

Replies

• supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make strawberry sauce that you can then have with pasta! It's actually really good and very popular in Eastern Europe. All you do is mush up strawberries with sour cream or other cream or plain/vanilla yoghurt. You can do it by hand using a fork (the way I'd normally do it) but I'm sure you could also whizz it through a blender. It is delicious!
    The ratio is roughly 1 cup strawberries to 2 tbs sour cream but you can adjust it as you prefer and it's meant to be fairly liquid.

makaron-z-truskawkami.jpg?fileID=75058

ETA: The sauce also makes for a healthier substitute for syrups on ice creams, pancakes, etc.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    you can make a very simple and low calorie dessert: wash & cut the strawberries in pieces, put them in a bowl, sprinkle with some sugar and add a shot of cognac. Mix with a spoon, cover and put in fridge to cool. Best eaten after a day in the fridge, if you can wait :)

ETA: quantities depend on taste and how ripe strawberries are. Usually for 250g of strawberries I add 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of cognac.

cf86cf81ceaccebfcf85cebbceb5cf82-cebcceb5-cebacebfcebdceb9ceacceba-cebaceb1ceb9-ceb6ceaccf87ceb1cf81ceb7.jpg?w=600&h=575
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Make jam!

Another thing my mom used to do was freeze the strawberries whole. She would cut the tops off so that top was flat. She would then stand them up one a tray and put them into the deep freeze until they were frozen. She would then bag the strawberries and put them back in the freezer. You could do that and place them in a small serving size bags. You can then take one out what you want some and make a smoothie or whatever you want!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Compote and coulis to have on plain yoghurt or oatmeal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Eat them?

I got 9 300g packs of strawberries the other day for 20p each.

Had a long drive the next day, so ate the lot while driving - yes, that's about 6lb of strawberries - also had a massive salad prepared.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Like others said, jam. Slice them, add 3/4 parts sugar for 1 part strawberries, a bit of lemon juice, boil over low heat stirring occasionally, and you are done :)
    Also strawberry ice cream is awesome. There are a ton of recipes if you google it, the simplest one I make when the kids want something sweet and I have little time, is 1/2 kilo (about 2 lbs) greek yoghurt (low fat works) , 1/2 kilo mashed strawberries and either sugar to taste or 1 can condensed sweetened milk.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Strawberry flax crackers, fruit roll ups, breads
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Put them in a green salad instead of tomatoes
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I love all these ideas! Gonna try most of them out, thanks!!
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Homemade Strawberry Balsamic vinegarette :heart:
  • begraceful1
    begraceful1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    USe some to make low to no sugar jam, some to eat fresh as they are healthy for you. you can freeze them and save for a later date also. If you are trying to loose weight. Surely wash them well and then you can freeze them and take out as you want a cool treat and just let them thaw a little bit and then pop them into your mouth and let thaw the rest of the way while you are eating them. Enjoy. Strawberries are a great fruit.
  • sherryhall5076
    sherryhall5076 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Strawberries freeze really well.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    mix natural yoghurt (min. 500ml) with a spoon of powder sugar, put a whole bunch of sliced strawberries in it and enjoy! :)
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Core them....spoon in a little bit of chocolate or chocolate pudding and freeze. Delicious dessert! Oh, and strawberries with sugar-free cool whip....yummy.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Core them....spoon in a little bit of chocolate or chocolate pudding and freeze. Delicious dessert! Oh, and strawberries with sugar-free cool whip....yummy.

wow that sounds amazing :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodfaithfitness.com/strawberry-dessert-frozen/

Made this the other day- it's amazing! But could totally do with either a half cup or half the butter in the base... I used the full 3/4 cup as directed and it literally took double the time for the to cook.
  • AdventureManatee
    AdventureManatee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make strawberry syrup to freeze in ice cubes for a summer soda. Not low calorie but definitely a treat!

Freeze them for smoothies in the winter!

Or just eat as many as you can now because that's what June is for.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd probably make a buttload of smoothie and freeze them in ice lolly moulds and just have smoothie pops on hand, they'd pretty low cal if made with almond milk too mmmm man so doing that.
  • cbarrett64
    cbarrett64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just picked 25 lbs of strawberries last weekend and put most of them in the freezer for smoothies. I had been buying bagged frozen strawberries and wanted to buy something that wasn't processed in a factory. The best way to freeze them is to clean the stems off, pat them dry and then place them on a cookie sheet. Freeze them completely, and then they fit nicely into the container. I use a vacuum sealer and because you freeze them individually, there is no liquid and they are easier to take out later when you just want 4-5 to make a smoothie, because they do not stick together.

Good luck!