I hit a brick wall, putting on wieght now...

Options
I was doing good. I dropped 30 lbs.over the past couple of months.

Now, I have put on 10 pounds. within the last month. I still exercise and run 3 times a week for 30 mins at 5.5mph.

My body seems to be hungry and I can't stay within my calorie limit. I tried drinking water and eating more protein and fiber, but it's not working. I am 226 pounds fom 216.

My food diary is open So is my weight chart.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't really log most days. Eat more fruits and veggies, Ditch the super processed stuff (rev pizza wraps?) and log everything you eat.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body has adjusted to the new way of eating/working out. If you don't change it up now and then and break the habit, keep your body guessing this will happen...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much food. Re-calculate your weight loss goals based on your current weight and eat back only half of your exercise calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body has adjusted to the new way of eating/working out. If you don't change it up now and then and break the habit, keep your body guessing this will happen...
    that's just nonsense I'm afraid . The poster is just not logging accurately or consistently do is just not eating at a deficit. Just go back to basics
  • kthejoker20
    kthejoker20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can someone provide me an example of a days worth of food if I eliminate the rev sandwich wraps? I thought those were healthy...

I can't find anything to eat. I work 12hrs shifts and bring a cooler to work. Microwave food is not an option for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It looks like you haven't logged your food regularly lately. I'm guessing that is the biggest problem. You can eat a wrap and lose if you stay within your calories for the day. Your daily calorie goal seems to be all over the place too (I think I saw it anywhere between 1800 and 3000) so that is likely a problem. You can't eat to goal if you don't know what your goal is. I would suggest focusing on logging everything every day. If you were doing that before and losing (I didn't go back farther than a couple of weeks) then you know what works and just need to refocus on doing that again.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd say your goal is to be able to consume more food for less calories.

I've seen the Rev wraps on the shelf at the store - and it doesn't look like much food in my opinion - for the # of calories. You may be better off making your own. 85g, 220 calories - I just looked up a nutrition label for it online. Flatout Italian wrap is 53g, 90 calories. Oscar Mayer (or similar brand but this is what I looked up) 56g smoked turkey is 50 calories. Kraft colby jack slice 23g, 90 calories. That's regular cheese - could go 2% and shave some calories or add more cheese for the same calories. So 132g of food for 230 calories and it would be more filling as there is more to it. Add spinach to the wrap - adds a little extra food by just a few calorie change.

For needing to use the cooler - take fruits, raw veggies. Could make PB&J sandwiches or put meat, cheese in and make your own sandwich or wraps. 2 PB&J's on light white bread: about 500 calories. I use no-added sugar jelly and put about 24g peanut butter on a sandwich. Add some carrots, cucumber slices, etc - its a pretty good lunch. And filling. (Personally 1 sandwich is enough for me.)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Can someone provide me an example of a days worth of food if I eliminate the rev sandwich wraps? I thought those were healthy...

I can't find anything to eat. I work 12hrs shifts and bring a cooler to work. Microwave food is not an option for me.

No fridge or microwave does limit your options, but there should still be ways to work around it. Find a good sandwhich bread or wrap: The sandwhich thin buns by Arnold or Peppridge Farms are 100 calories, and they're just like a bun but flat. You can pile those high with lean meats, add some mustard and pickles, maybe onion and tomato if it goes with your choice of meat, and that's a protein packed lunch. Add some petite baby carrots or sugar snap peas in a pre-portioned bowl of hummus, and you've got your veggies. You'd even have room for a light dessert, like one or two cookies or, better yet, take a look at some Fiber One bars. They're only 90 calories with lots of fiber and they're delicious.
  • matthehat
    matthehat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just by looking at todays and yesterdays I can tell whats wrong, WAY over eating. I am 6'0 276 and eat less than 1800 calories a day. You should be at around that or a little less. Eating more fruits and vegetables is what really helps me, they fill you up and your not eating very many calories or fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You don't really log most days. Eat more fruits and veggies, Ditch the super processed stuff (rev pizza wraps?) and log everything you eat.
    Disagree with dumping food groups, but agree with logging.

OP, weigh your food and don't depend on cup and spoon measurements. Get your logging habits under control too so you are aware how much you are eating.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If your goal is reasonably set at 1930 + exercise then don't try to change it. First try eating in your range.
    Just by looking at todays and yesterdays I can tell whats wrong, WAY over eating. I am 6'0 276 and eat less than 1800 calories a day. You should be at around that or a little less. Eating more fruits and vegetables is what really helps me, they fill you up and your not eating very many calories or fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

No, don't eliminate foods just become accurate with portions and calories. Weigh your food prior to putting it in the cooler. Eat whatever the neck you want, just make sure you log accurately and are aware of how much you are eating.

Have you had your thyroid checked as well?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Can't really agree with this. Depending on his current size and goals and activity level, 1800+ may be appropriate. I'm 5'6" 164 and eat just under 1800.

OP, if you have a cooler, you're using ice packs, right? You can pack boiled eggs, cold chicken (if you don't have time to cook one just buy a rotisserie chicken from the store and cut it up), other leftovers to eat cold (I grill salmon and eat that cold in my lunch), cottage cheese, and greek yogurt. Fruits, veggies, bread, nuts, and nut butters wouldn't need to be kept cold.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options

I am sorry to point out that based on your stats you may be undereating... I get 2448 for you when I calculate with http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

As for OP no real need to eliminate foods or food groups. You may want to recalculate and make sure you are weighing and measuring. guesstimating is not a good way to go.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    I have one word for you: CONSISTENCY. It is one of the most important aspects of success in losing fat (or anything for that matter). You must be consistent; which means logging every meal you eat, every day. To make that easier, I eat basically the same things every day. I weigh, measure or scan everything that I eat. I don't deviate much from my regular meals, and if I do, I keep the macros pretty much the same. Yeah, it's boring, it's tedious and it's time consuming. But it is essential if you want to lose fat on a CONSISTENT basis.

One other thing I noticed, is that your protein intake seems to be quite low for a guy your weight. I would focus on getting enough protein (if you're weight training, .75-1.0 gram of protein per lb.of BW should be sufficient (minimum of 160g in your case up to 215g) first and foremost, then maybe 25% of total intake in fat, and the rest carbohydrate. Calorie wise, (and this is a rough estimate based on the limited stats and your current activity level), I'd shoot for a range of 1900-2400 cals/day, depending upon how much you would like to lose per week. The 1900 gives you about a 7,000 cal deficit (2lbs/week), and 2400 would result in roughly 1lb/week of fat loss. And remember to adjust your calories for every 5 lbs or so that you lose. Good luck with your fat loss my friend....
  • kthejoker20
    kthejoker20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have recalculated my calories. It went up to 1930 now. I was at 1400 to 1600 for the past month and I think that screwed me up. For the past 2 days, it seems to be working now and I am going negative again. I think I might have been under eating for awhile. That forced my body to get hungry and pig out lately.

I've gone from 286 to 221 so far. I originally had my goal set to 170, but I think that was too aggressive. I set it to 185 and I get more calories to eat now.

Also hard to fight off peer pressure cause the wife always wants to go out to eat as it's the only time we really get to spend with each other every night due to work.

I also added a cliff bar to my recovery period after running. I think the recovery period was killing my weight. After workouts, I would just eat back the calories with anything I found. I read online that its not good and for recovery, should shoot for high nutrient packed food with 4 carbs to 1 protein The cliff bar, is the best match I have found that meet thats.

I haven't incorporated weight training yet. I want to lose about 20 more pounds, before I start that. But, I have added pushups and crunches to my 30 minute runs. I have bad back pain, so running really kills me so I want to lose weight before lifting more weight. I don't want to be disabled....lol

Also, when I get food cravings... I also tried consuming HOT water. That seems to help, but I still have to fight off the hunger.

ALso, just ran a report and I noticed that when I started going on 10 mile walks during april, my calorie intake increased and my weight increased. SO I think I am going to just stick with the 3 mile runs for now, those long walks seem to had an effect on my weight. weird....