BeachBody Insanity: An Unexpected Problem

Options
Hey, everyone!!

I'm new to MFP but that's not what this is about. I joined because I was hoping to find some inspiration or motivation for actually tracking my progress. Summer is almost here, and while I'm not overweight, I do want to cut fat (not necessarily lose pounds) and gain muscle, and develop definition. I am a 19 year old female, about 5'6 and 130lbs. Healthy weight range, but I want to lower my body fat percentage.

The problem is that I did Insanity for 3 weeks, and ate right, then a friend started staying on my couch and I couldn't do it because it would keep him awake, and I had other commitments during the daytime (school). Otherwise, he wasn't in school or working, so he was home all the time in the room I could do it in - and he wouldn't do it with me. He's recently left, and I turned on the DVD two days ago and had a terrible realization - I'm bored with it.

The Insanity workouts are exactly that - insane. They get your heart rate up, and I've heard if you eat enough cals and stick with it you see results. But I'm having a horrible time sticking with it due to the simple mental feeling of being incredibly bored with the repetitiveness of these DVDs. The same warm up 3 times begins to feel like prison camp by the second, simply due to the repetition factor... I love the working hard feeling, but mentally, I find it to be quite unappealing. I realize working out isn't supposed to be a walk in the park.. I've done recreational MMA for 3-4 years, Muay Thai for 2 (stopped both due to concussions) and recently joined boxing classes at my school - which are all incredibly difficult, but stimulating.

However, I do want the Insanity results. I realize if I want the results, dull or not - I need to do the workout. If I wanted to look like a marathon runner, I'd have to run like one. If I want to look like someone out of an Insanity DVD.. I need to actually DO Insanity.

Any motivation, or even tips on ways to make it more interesting or not find it so boring??
Maybe even some Insanity buddies if I decide to pick it back up after this?? :)

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Replies

• fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I found myself in the same situation! A couple of the DVDs don't repeat the same circuit 3 times (I also hate that), though, so I usually just do those. These are ones I mean: Max Cardio Conditioning, Core Cardio and Balance, and Pure Cardio.

Also, add me, if you need motivation :]
  • Emedina1987
    Options
    I started insanity two weeks ago. Yes it gets repetitive, but it's challenging. You're constantly pushing yourself to do more with each workout. Today I had a hard time pushing myself, but I plan to try harder tomorrow. If it's too repetitive why don't you try mixing it with other work out DVDs like t25 or something. If you need motivation feel free to add me. I am 4 months post baby and I am ready to have my body back. I had two kids in less than two years and I am done. I only have 9'pounds to lose but a lot more toning. Good luck!
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but am doing a p90x/insanity hybrid, so I do the p90x strength on Mondays and Wednesdays, sometimes Fridays depending on the week. Always do insanity on Tuesday, Saturday and sometimes Thursday and Friday. As you can see, it mixes it up and keeps it interesting. I also like the p90x strength. I miss the pull-ups and weight lifting when only doing insanity. Try mixing insanity with something else intense. You will still see results.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hi, that can certainly happen. By how Insanity was made, it can get boring. If you are struggling with this, try doing a hybrid with some other forms of fitness. The P90X/Insanity hybrid is a great thing to do, since you'll get the strength benefits of P90X with the cardio endurance of Insanity. It doesn't have to be other programs though. If you really like your classes (MMA or boxing), keep doing them a few days/week, and then cycle Insanity workouts on the others. This will give you more variety (which is always a good thing) and will keep you from getting so bored.

Allan
  • relyksrc
    relyksrc Posts: 9
    Options
    I definitely like the idea of maybe doing a Hybrid program instead of just doing the 60 day challenge it was made for. I definitely love my boxing classes too, so maybe I'll cycle those two things. The days I don't have martial arts/boxing, do Insanity.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! You've all been really helpful and supportive. I hadn't heard of the Insanity hybrid training before, I think that would definitely suite me better. :)

You can feel free to add me if you'd like as well.
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It is 80% mental and 20% work, you have to push yourself every single day think of the feeling you have after you finish that 40min workout, what drives you should be your want to be fit and your want to see results if your already feeling demotivated maybe your just not the type of person to rely on insanity for results i would suggest looking into other fitness programs.
  • relyksrc
    Options
    It is 80% mental and 20% work, you have to push yourself every single day think of the feeling you have after you finish that 40min workout, what drives you should be your want to be fit and your want to see results if your already feeling demotivated maybe your just not the type of person to rely on insanity for results i would suggest looking into other fitness programs.

Maybe you're right. I'm considering what Terbusha said about going between Insanity and boxing/MMA on off days to give myself some variety. I think I might give it another shot, and if I truly cannot stick with it, just do a Hybrid training program that includes Insanity. After some completely crazy MMA workouts and sparring sessions the past few years, I understand the mental concept - which I guess is why I'm having such a hard time understanding why Insanity is so difficult for me mentally!!

Maybe pushing through it will help mental toughness more than anything, haha. I'll be making a decision in the next couple days, I'm super sick right now. But once I'm all better it's time to get 'er done - either with Insanity, or a Hybrid program. Thanks for your suggestion. :)
  • Veganlover
    Veganlover Posts: 15
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com! Tons of free workouts, and you can customize it to what kind you want to do that day. They also have workout and meal plans available as well.
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.... :-)

I'm finishing up week 2. And you're right, they are a bit repetitive, but I feel like that's part of the challenge. Keeping yourself focused during the workouts is hard, just as hard as the workouts themselves.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Luckily I was the opposite. I love a schedule and strict regiment. I knew what to expect and could count on it every day.

After work I looked forward to a pre-workout drink to pickup my mood and get pumped.
    Then the warm-up - relaxing. Started to get my mind focused.
    The workout, I loved the intensity and looked forward to breaking a sweat.
    Before I knew it, most days felt like it was over in minutes. The sopping wet towel(s) were my trophies.
    Then the cool down, even more relaxing. I'd hit a recovery drink, check my HRM stats and relish in the results.

May changing what you do leading up to it or finishing with will help.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Check to see if Insanity classes are offered in your area. That should offer the same intesity and results, but the classes should vary a bit more and the live classes might be less boring.
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm in the recovery week of the program and let me tell you... I hate insanity ahaha.... but its working! I agree, that the 3 rounds of warm up are exhausting... same thing over and over... The recovery week is actually really nice, because you dont have the repetativeness.
    I try to think of it this way: Its only for 60 days! I can easily spend 60 days NOT working out, so why not try it this way?!

I have also set myself the rule, that I will only make the choice to discontinue, if I feel that way 1 hour AFTER the workout (its usually when i'm soo happy that I've done my workout for the day and feel great about it). Its gotten me this far... so here is to the next 4 weeks of hell ;)
  • Stacjsteinert5
    Stacjsteinert5 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with erockem ! I love the schedule, I don't have to worry about planning what I'm going to do. I'm on week 3 and seeing amazing results from eating right and sticking with the program! It's all worth it in the end!
  • relyksrc
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I see what you guys are saying. It could be worth it just to push through and get it done... I like the idea of seeing if i still feel that way one hour after. I feel like I accomplished something when I get through it, but at the same time, it's frustrating that this is the one thing I've found that I haven't really liked very much on a mental level. All the more reason to try it I guess! Haha.

& Very true.. that's definitely the definition of insanity. Haha.