what Heart Rate monitor would you suggest?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 that I LOVE!! I chose the FT4 because it calculates calories burned, stores past workouts, and the chest strap has a user replaceable battery. I found mine on Amazon.com and paid about $80.
  • katieandlilly
    katieandlilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am using the Polar F6. I got it for my birthday in May of 2010 and have used it over 200 hours since then and had no problems at all. I love it so much. It absolutely takes my workouts to the next level!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I had a polar F7 and it only lasted 5 months BUT I did buy it used off ebay. It stopped working well and I could not change the battery in the transmitter. I just bought the FT4 and it should be shipped today. I did get it off ebay for $49.99 so it wasn't too expensive and this one is brand new in the box still.

If you go to polar's website you can compare some of the models and get an idea of the price point:

http://www.polar.fi/us-en/products/compare

The regular F series though I don't see listed so they must be discontinued so that is why I opted for the FT.

Good Luck ...you will LOVE it!
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information in this post. I've just decided I've like a HRM, I will look into Polar
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I've had my Polar FT7 for over a year now and have had no issues, haven't needed to get the battery replaced either. My husband has the Garmin Forerunner 305, calculates distance and HR and he loves that. You don't need to be running for it to calculate your calories burned. Garmin's customer service is good too, I had to replace my regular 205 because the signal wasn't picking up and they got a new one back to me within a week :)
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have the Sigma Onyx Balance. It has been great. I have had to replace the battery and could do it locally, I didn't have to ship it away anywhere. It is digitally coded and measures calories burned when your heart rate is over 100bpm. I have had it for over a year now and I really love it.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 25anniversary2011
    25anniversary2011 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    about 9 months. I use it daily
    thanks reese 1206 - i will have to take a closer look at that one! You seem to like it alot! :happy: :happy: :happy:

I liked it alot too BUT it only lasted 6 months.

Reese - how long have you had yours?

Maybe I bought a bad one? I'm trying to get some help from Polar to see if they will take care of this for me, but all they say is "send it in and we will check it". I have to pay shipping to them and then more shipping ($7.95) to get it shipped back to me. I don't think this is fair when I only used it for an average of 2 times per week for about 5 months. BUT I did love it's accuracy! Loved the calorie burned count!

I've decided to try the Timex T5J983. I saw it at a local Academy for $99. but ordered it off of Amazon for $66. I will let you know what I think about it and how it works. Amazon will let you return (free shipping) if not happy with product. I am also sending my Polar off for "repair", will wait and see about that one. I also didn't remember to mention that the F6 that I have came with a pink watch, the band is getting ugly and stained. Maybe washing it might help?
  • bode1all
    Options
    I had a friend who got a garmin one to track distances for running. It works great at calculating distances and how long each mile will take, but it doesnt work inside so I would steer away from any that are made specifially for calculating distances as that could be a drawback with all of them. I have the Polar F7 and I really like it. It has a feature that will add up your calories for you on a weekly basis. So its nice to set a "weekly goal" for the amount of calories you would like to burn. Also, the strap for this one is a nice soft material and not plastic. I feel the platic ones would cause alot of chaffing if you plan on doing a lot of summer running.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great information on here! I have done a bunch of research and am drawn to the Polar FT60. It is spendy.... but it has a GPS foot pod accessory to track distance and speed. I have read that some of the Garmin GPs monitors are inaccurate with tracking locations.... now to save my money and reach my goal to get the reward!