How to keep toes from squishing each other when running

Options
I bought new shoes this morning (with arch support so I don't get blisters from wearing my Dr. Scholl's inserts) but with 1/4 of my run left I felt my toe burning and hurting. When I finally got home I quickly took my shoes and socks off and hobbled to the bathroom to get a bandaid for it. It burned more after I took my shoes and socks off than before.

My second toe always likes to get tucked under my big toe and I figure that is the problem this time but I don't know what to do about it.

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Were these shoes fitted at a running store? It sounds like a bad fit, but I'm a pretty new runner, so someone with more knowledge than I may have another opinion.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes, these shoes were fitted at a running store...... well kind of. I told the guy what I needed, he gave me the shoes and I put them on. They seemed large at the time (like I should have went half a size down) but with possible swelling I didn't want to risk it.

My second toe always wants to hide under my big toe (which makes home pedicures difficult).

I'm totally a super new runner (like 3 jogs under my belt lol) and I have two 5k in the same day and another two 5k scheduled (one in august, one in september) so I don't want to get discouraged and quit.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    One thing I feel like running stores never really test out is the toe box. It gets ignored. A shoe can fit great and work for your style of running but leave you will black toe nails, blisters and the like. I started actually buying shoes that have a large toe box and all my toe issues went away-- no more black nails for me! Saucony Kinvara and Altras are my two favorite shoes with a large box. Maybe go back and tell them you would like to try a shoe that works for your style but has a larger box.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't run super long distances (10K is my max) so maybe a distance runner could offer up some better advice, but I sort of have the same problem and you might need a shoe with a bigger toe box. My second toe doesn't really go under my big toe, but they are definitely pressed together while running. I got blisters at first, but it helped when I got fancy tech socks that wick away the moisture and then the blisters turned to callouses and there is no more pain/discomfort. Maybe you can return those shoes or keep them for backup and go to a local running store where they take a look at your gait and your pronation (and tell them about your toe issue) to find you a better fit. Good luck!
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Can someone quickly tell me what a toe box is? lol

As I don't have my shoes on now, it's hard for me to say whether or not it's large or small.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Its the front of the shoe where you toes are. some shoes narrow into the toe area. Others, like Altra, are designed so that you can spread your toes out on impact.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can also try using body glide on your toes. Or toe socks.

http://www.injinji.com/shop/run.html
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Return your shoes and get some that fit better. My running shoes are a size bigger than my regular shoes. Try on more than one pair and actually run in them. Shoes are the most important thing for running. Get a pair that work for you.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Can someone quickly tell me what a toe box is? lol

As I don't have my shoes on now, it's hard for me to say whether or not it's large or small.

The toe box is the front portion of the show that's meant to hold everything from the ball of the foot forward. Look at the part up near the toes where the shoe gets the widest. Everything from that point on up to the end where the toes are is the toe box.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

I do like the toe sock idea, I wonder if they're comfortable (You used to be able to buy normal toe socks but the material was thick and uncomfortable)

So what is the goal for the idea toe box width? Like I mentioned, the shoes seemed to feel like they could have been half a size too large. All I know is I have a pair of Brooks shoes, not sure what type.
  • toconeledoux
    toconeledoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mother is a marathon runner with peek a boo toes - she has to tape them together before any running event or she has the same issue that you are complaining of. It got so bad before she started taping them that she irritated the toenail in such a way that it fell off when she took off her sock. I would go to a running store and ask questions because it is a common complaint. They may be able to recommend a shoe to meet your specific needs
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner until back issues . . . . .Many longer distances (10 plus marathons). After running for a few hours (I was slow) your feet swell a bit so you have to account for that when you buy your shoes. Don't shop for them first thing in the morning wait until later in the day when you've been on your feet for a few hours.
    That being said I also had a problem on one foot with my big toe squishing the toe beside it. What solved the problem was recommended to me by a podiatrist - and it was a little soft plastic piece I put between my toes and ran with. very comfortable - used for many marathons. You can find them at a drug store.
    good luck with your runnig.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

So what is the goal for the idea toe box width?
    One that fits your toes and gives them room to spread. We are all different what works for my feet most likely wont work for yours.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    One thing I feel like running stores never really test out is the toe box. It gets ignored. A shoe can fit great and work for your style of running but leave you will black toe nails, blisters and the like. I started actually buying shoes that have a large toe box and all my toe issues went away-- no more black nails for me! Saucony Kinvara and Altras are my two favorite shoes with a large box. Maybe go back and tell them you would like to try a shoe that works for your style but has a larger box.

yea just sounds like they are too small, which seems odd if they were 'professionally fitted'.

i think this is evidence that maybe a little too much importance is put on gait analysis

i saw a show about how the army is researching subltle differences in the human body in order to customize gear for soldiers. they didn't talk about gait analysis. doesn't mean they don't do it, i just thought it was interesting they didn't mention it.

I'd be pretty pissed if i was professionally fitted and it gave me black toenails
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Try a shoe like altras with a wide toe box. Why are you doing 2 5ks in one day?
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    cossmoss15: is that little plastic thing comfortable to run in?

I'm having huge concerns about my toe box being too small. My toe ALWAYS creeps under my big toe and the shoes actually fit a little big. But until I go home and put my feet in them I can't say how much larger they feel.

wilsoje74: it was an accident. Me and a co-worker signed up for two events on two different months and it didn't dawn on us that they were the same day. The first 5k I will be with people who don't really jog so I won't be putting a lot of effort into it
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Yes it is comfortable to run with. I would use for all my long training runs and my marathons. I looked on-line and the following link shows what it looks like.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/solon-foot-solutions-gel-toe-separators/ID=prod6156271-product

Of course I agree with what others have said -you first need to make sure you have the room you need in the toe box area of your shoes. That by itself my solve your problem.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    So I just put my shoes on and I am able to touch the sides of my shoe if I spread my toes as far as I can
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    If you have a wide feet, then you need shoes that have wider width (mean wider toe box).
    For width size:
    D stands for Standard
    2E stands for wide
    4E stands for extra-wide

Check out this link and you can compare if you need a wider width than standard.
    http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/a/womens_width.htm