Flying at 200+ lbs

Options
I'm going to be flying to Seattle (from Rochester, NY) via Delta for vacation in September. I hope to weigh around 225 at that time. I am really concerned that I might need to purchase an extra seat. I can't really afford to but I don't want to be prevented from boarding at the gate because of my size..

I was wondering what people of a similar size have experienced while traveling by plane. I am most interested in hearing from people that have flown recently, from Jan. 2013 to present. Did you have to buy an extra seat? Did you only need a seat belt extender? Did you require either? Were the airline staff rude to you? What was your general experience good and bad?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Cheers!

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    The last time I flew wasn't exactly that recent. A few years ago I think?

Either way I most certainly didn't have to buy an extra seat and I'm positive I was over 200lbs at the time.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am 300+ and fly just fine.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Seats are pretty spacious to be fair. I don't think you'll have any worries at that weight.
  • wombat319
    wombat319 Posts: 14
    Options
    I fly ALL THE TIME...I weigh 265#. I attempt to get a window or aisle seat...NO center (you will be MISERABLE). If the person next to you will allow you to keep the armrest up, great...otherwise it will cut into your hips a little.

SOME planes' seatbelts won't be long enough...I haven't had to use an extender yet, but people do this all the time, so don't be too embarrassed if you have to! For the most part, they will just make it (and I "suck it in" so they do too!)

The "skinnies" on the plane may resent you. Don't worry about it--you'll never see these people again in your life, so feel free to ask them if they "have a problem." Could be fun to put one of them in their place like I do! LOL!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    #350+

Fly just fine.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    They definitely allow people 400lbs to fly.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Last time I flew I was at 325, no extra seat, but i did have to ask the attendant for a seat extender, which I just barely needed, and I'm sure you will be fine to have a wonderful trip!

And the attendants have generally been nice to me, while they are coming doing seatbelt/luggage checks I just ask, and they would get it for me within a few minutes. Normally they understand it is embarrassing to ask and don't make a scene, but at 325 pounds they knew before I asked that I would need one. But again, I just hardly couldn't fit, I weigh a lot more than you and carry my weight in my middle, you will be fine. (Last time I flew was in January)
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I flew last year to NYC and I was so anxious about all the concerns you listed. I was around 270 at that time and did not experience any issues at all. Hope this helps ease your mind. :smile:
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Flew last summer and I'm 350+ I've been flying for years. I've never been asked to purchase an extra seat, and flight attendants have always been courteous and discreet when giving me an extender. It's been a while since I flew Delta, but exit rows and bulkhead seats CAN be more narrow, so it might be worth spending a little extra to pick your seat.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Last time I flew I was at 325, no extra seat, but i did have to ask the attendant for a seat extender, which I just barely needed, and I'm sure you will be fine to have a wonderful trip!

And the attendants have generally been nice to me, while they are coming doing seatbelt/luggage checks I just ask, and they would get it for me within a few minutes. Normally they understand it is embarrassing to ask and don't make a scene, but at 325 pounds they knew before I asked that I would need one. But again, I just hardly couldn't fit, I weigh a lot more than you and carry my weight in my middle, you will be fine. (Last time I flew was in January)

This was me almost exactly! I flew about two years ago, ish. And I was with my brother who is a similar size. I had to get an extender but no extra seat needed and the other passenger wasn't inconvenience or put upon AT ALL. :)
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've flown at 300+ and didn't need an extender or extra seat. I suggest that you try to get a window seat. They seem more spacious to me but I generally like it for the leg space. I'm very tall and carry weight all over. I think that it would only be a problem if you're hippy but you'll probably be fine.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have only been on a plane at 200+ pounds (except maybe the first time I flew... I may have been around 190 pounds then). Other than that, the smallest I've been on a plane was probably around 220. Most recently (the end of January 2013), I flew at 228, and it was totally fine. For reference, my hips were about 51" around at the time. I remember being comfortable, and it never even occurred to me that I might need an extra seat or a seat belt extender.

So I think you should be fine. :smile:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The flight I took to Louisiana in March is what got me started. I weighed in at 233 and it was a tight fit and I was uncomfortable the whole way there. However, no one stopped me and forced me to buy a second ticket.
    My second flight to Florida was a lot better, but still around 200lb and it was close. I had a lot more room to spare this time around.
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    I fly ALL THE TIME...I weigh 265#. I attempt to get a window or aisle seat...NO center (you will be MISERABLE). If the person next to you will allow you to keep the armrest up, great...otherwise it will cut into your hips a little.

SOME planes' seatbelts won't be long enough...I haven't had to use an extender yet, but people do this all the time, so don't be too embarrassed if you have to! For the most part, they will just make it (and I "suck it in" so they do too!)

The "skinnies" on the plane may resent you. Don't worry about it--you'll never see these people again in your life, so feel free to ask them if they "have a problem." Could be fun to put one of them in their place like I do! LOL!

The "skinnies" will only resent you if you are in their seat taking up half the room they paid for. Other than that they won't give a damn as long as your hygiene is proper. We "skinnies" don't actually care if you are overweight. We only care if you are pushing us into a little tiny space when the space allotted is tiny enough.

By put us in our place do you mean shwished against the window? I think the skinnies resent your attitude.

OP- 200 isn't too big to even worry. You won't have any problems. If you are worried be sure to check in early and get the seat with lots of leg room or the aisle seat. I personally have flown next to lot's of different sizes of people without a care. The airline staff is there to make sure you have a pleasant trip, and unless it's much different in the US than every where else, they will do just that. Also, you probably won't be anywhere near the biggest person on the plane. If you are worried about the seat belt extended situation call them and ask about the length of the regular seat belt.

Have a happy flight!
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've flown at 275 and had no issues. However, if you really want to ease your mind, fly Southwest. They have a policy that if you need an extra seat, they will give you one for free. :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I fly all the time and usually on Delta. I've only ever had one flight attendant who was the least bit rude. I've seen people much larger than myself on some flights and I've never seen Delta require them to purchase an extra seat. I usually get an aisle seat. I would suggest you get an aisle or a window. A larger person in the middle seat makes the entire row uncomfortable.

Depending on the plane, and how you carry your weight, you may need a seat belt extender. I usually need one on a 757 - but rarely on other planes. Since I fly so often, I carry one with me...just in case.

Relax and enjoy your vacation!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have flown many times at 250 and I have never had an issue. We likely have a different body composition though. I would look at the information for the airline and see if it has dimensions for seats/belts?
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Seats are pretty spacious to be fair. I don't think you'll have any worries at that weight.

Hahaha do you fly first class? I don't know if OP will need a second seat or not but I do know they are NOT spacious. **** I'm in my 130's and I'm only mildly comfortable in them for trips under 4 hours.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

The "skinnies" will only resent you if you are in their seat taking up half the room they paid for. Other than that they won't give a damn as long as your hygiene is proper. We "skinnies" don't actually care if you are overweight. We only care if you are pushing us into a little tiny space when the space allotted is tiny enough.

By put us in our place do you mean shwished against the window? I think the skinnies resent your attitude.

OP- 200 isn't too big to even worry. You won't have any problems. If you are worried be sure to check in early and get the seat with lots of leg room or the aisle seat. I personally have flown next to lot's of different sizes of people without a care. The airline staff is there to make sure you have a pleasant trip, and unless it's much different in the US than every where else, they will do just that. Also, you probably won't be anywhere near the biggest person on the plane. If you are worried about the seat belt extended situation call them and ask about the length of the regular seat belt.

Have a happy flight!

Thank YOU you took the words right out of my mouth - and a heads up if you "skinny" experience this you can write the airlines and sometimes they will give you a voucher or some money - for instance my husband argued he only got 1/2 of the seat he paid for and they gave a 1/2 refund!

Lastly, at 225 you'll probably NOT be even one of the top 20% of the largest people on the plane so I would not worry about it.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The last time I flew quite a few years ago, I was about 250 lbs and had no troubles at all. I didn't even need a seat belt extender.