Low Budget, Feel-Good Recipes!

Options
katiebearzorz
katiebearzorz Posts: 11 Member
For those of us that don't want to break the bank, but wish to fuel our bodies the healthy way. Post all of your low cost, healthy recipes here!

I absolutely love making pineapple "fried" rice. Rice is cheap, filling, and nutritious if you choose the right type.

Cooked brown rice + diced pineapple (warmed) + red peppers + bean sprouts with a dash of salt and pepper!

I also love making mini pizzas that are much healthier for you when you're craving the GOOD stuff. This would yield two mini pizzas:

Whole grain English muffin, split and toasted
Your favorite pizza sauce (I recommend a brand that is low sugar, low sodium, and high on the veggie count)
Low fat Mozzarella cheese, sprinkled to amount desired
Basil and oregano (I use about 1/4 tsp. of each per pizza half. I love seasoning!)
Toppings of your choice. Be sure to include lots of yummy veggies!
Pop these little guys into the oven at 350 degrees until cheese melts, or until desired crispiness is reached. I put mine in for 15 to 20 mins.

Pair this with a side salad and you've got a filling and nutritional meal!

Share some of your favorites with me. :D

Replies

• Fit4MeAlways
    Options
    Bump
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mine is kind of along the same lines as yours.

Grilled Cheese Pizza Sandwich

2 slices of bread (your choice what kind, though I like whole wheat)
    2 tablespoons marinara sauce
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (I use part-skim)
    1 tsp shredded parmesan

Spread the sauce evenly between the two slices of bread, then sprinkle the cheese. Place two slices together, then cook like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

Calories: 242 (depending on types of bread, sauce, and amount of butter you use to cook it.)

I should also mention I got this recipe from the SparkRecipes app, which is full of healthy recipes for every course, cuisine, and dietary restriction. I absolutely love it!
  • ptheders
    ptheders Posts: 24
    Options
    I love to saute sweet peppers, a jalepeno and spinach (sometimes mushrooms... whatever you like) until they soften a bit, pour one whole, beaten egg + 3T organic egg whites over the veg and cover until cooked through, flip onto plate and top with half an avocado, one cut tomato or about a half a cup of cherry tomatoes and lots of hot sauce. This mean is fast to prepare, nutrient dense, low cal (about 300-350 if you use half an avocado, if you skip that part it's REALLY low cal) and really filling.

When I'm craving something sweet I'll eat a cup of mashed sweet potatoes which I warm up with a little bit of almond milk and cinnamon. If that isn't enough for my sweet tooth, I'll eat a packet of Justin's Maple Almond Butter and a single-serve cup of unsweetened, organic applesauce by squeezing some almond butter on the spoon before each bite. That might sounds crazy, but it's sooooo yummy!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of beans (legumes). I buy them dry and cook them myself to eliminate the sodium. I love them with just some chipotle powder and cumin on them. I love them hot or cold and they're only about $1.29 for a 1 pound bag. Great source of protein and fiber with no cholesterol. Black beans, navy beans and pinto beans are my favorites.

I also like to make bulgar or quinoa tebboulah using either cilantro or parsley. Either is good. The only other ingredients are finely chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onions a little oil and lemon juice. A little salt if you like. Sometimes I add a little cumin. Decent source of protein. A recipe can be found on line. Very refreshing in hot summer months.

I've been buying "marked down" meat for years. If fact, I'm waiting now til 3 PM to go to the store because they "double discount' it by 3:30 PM. Bring it home, throw it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I haven't died yet!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of beans (legumes). I buy them dry and cook them myself to eliminate the sodium. I love them with just some chipotle powder and cumin on them. I love them hot or cold and they're only about $1.29 for a 1 pound bag. Great source of protein and fiber with no cholesterol. Black beans, navy beans and pinto beans are my favorites.

I also like to make bulgar or quinoa tebboulah using either cilantro or parsley. Either is good. The only other ingredients are finely chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onions a little oil and lemon juice. A little salt if you like. Sometimes I add a little cumin. Decent source of protein. A recipe can be found on line. Very refreshing in hot summer months.

I've been buying "marked down" meat for years. If fact, I'm waiting now til 3 PM to go to the store because they "double discount' it by 3:30 PM. Bring it home, throw it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I haven't died yet!

+1 to this. Legumes are a great, healthy, inexpensive way to inject protein and fiber into your diet! Soaking them overnight takes zero effort - just a little planning, but you cut down on the sodium from canned foods. Plus you don't get that canned food flavor that often comes from canned beans. They are like a blank canvas too. You can go from Mediterranean, to Italian, to Mexican all in one week if you just change up the spices. All the aromatics (onions, garlic, cilantro, other herbs) are cheap as well.

You can stock up on a lot of legumes and olive oil and make many hot or cold meals with them.
  • katiebearzorz
    katiebearzorz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Legumes are delicious!!!

Have you guys tried the new Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces? Just be careful because some of them aren't very healthy. However, some of them seem to be pretty nutritional!

I'm interested to see what people have to say about them. All you do is add in your meat, pour the sauce on top and cook for 8-10 hours (depending on the meat). Talk about easy!!!
  • sweetbear45
    Options
    thanks for the ideas :smile:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Ha, I like you! Beans are *magical*! I am *not* much of a cook (working on that), and have a tiny food budget to feed 5 mouths. Beans are the backbone of our meals here. Anyone with a slow cooker and $1.50 for a bag of beans can eat for days. So easy and versatile, right?

I like to throw beans in my salads, top my potatoes, or just eat plain or with some hot sauce (hot or cold) for a good fiber and protein snack. I will definitely be branching out with my culinary choices and trying some of this bulgar and quinoa I've heard about. Rice is boring to me, and pasta is just blah. Good tips, thanks!
  • kndev
    kndev Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just made these 2 ingredient pancakes and they filled that craving for heavy breakfast foods. The 2 ingredients are 1 banana and 2 eggs. I added some cinnamon too. It made about 6 small-medium pancakes. The density is between a crepe and a pancake.
  • Brinray
    Brinray Posts: 20
    Options
    I just made these 2 ingredient pancakes and they filled that craving for heavy breakfast foods. The 2 ingredients are 1 banana and 2 eggs. I added some cinnamon too. It made about 6 small-medium pancakes. The density is between a crepe and a pancake.

Oooh, you must tell me more...
  • mandiballou
    Options

+1 to this. Legumes are a great, healthy, inexpensive way to inject protein and fiber into your diet! Soaking them overnight takes zero effort - just a little planning, but you cut down on the sodium from canned foods. Plus you don't get that canned food flavor that often comes from canned beans. They are like a blank canvas too. You can go from Mediterranean, to Italian, to Mexican all in one week if you just change up the spices. All the aromatics (onions, garlic, cilantro, other herbs) are cheap as well.

You can stock up on a lot of legumes and olive oil and make many hot or cold meals with them.

Try sprouting your beans and legumes before cooking them. Takes a couple days, but makes them so much easier to digest and they taste great. I usually eat my lentils cold in a salad and really enjoy the freshness of them.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks for reminding me to start soaking some chickpeas. I always make the whole pound of beans and make different things like hummus, dips, soups, bbq beans, etc. Love beans and my kids do too!
  • mandiballou
    Options
    Legumes are delicious!!!

Have you guys tried the new Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces? Just be careful because some of them aren't very healthy. However, some of them seem to be pretty nutritional!

I'm interested to see what people have to say about them. All you do is add in your meat, pour the sauce on top and cook for 8-10 hours (depending on the meat). Talk about easy!!!

I totally avoid canned food since it has soooo much sodium and hidden msg- (makes you not realize how much you ate since it has a numbing effect on your body's response to eating). I like to cook our meats in the slow cooker with broth and veggies or just a little water and spices on the top.
  • MiniMarc
    MiniMarc Posts: 19
    Options
    me and my gf made a "weight loss lasagne" which didnt resemble a lasagne that much but was very tasty and was cheap / lasted a while. Made an italian tomato sauce (onion , bay leaf , passata , basil , seasoning).
    we grilled some aubergine and dried them out and also saute'd onion , mushrooms and whatever other veg we had ( i think even brocoli went in).
    We then layered it up with the tomato sauce and a very small amout of cheese. Baked it with onion on top which charred to give it a crisp.
    so there was no pasta , no bechemel sauce but it tasted great!

Puy lentils although not cheapest are great source of carbohydrate and if you make a big batch will last for days. A good carb for breakfast!. I put spices like chilli , garlic , tumeric and cumin. Or just a few bay leafs works wonders
  • mandiballou
    Options
    I love to saute sweet peppers, a jalepeno and spinach (sometimes mushrooms... whatever you like) until they soften a bit, pour one whole, beaten egg + 3T organic egg whites over the veg and cover until cooked through, flip onto plate and top with half an avocado, one cut tomato or about a half a cup of cherry tomatoes and lots of hot sauce. This mean is fast to prepare, nutrient dense, low cal (about 300-350 if you use half an avocado, if you skip that part it's REALLY low cal) and really filling.

When I'm craving something sweet I'll eat a cup of mashed sweet potatoes which I warm up with a little bit of almond milk and cinnamon. If that isn't enough for my sweet tooth, I'll eat a packet of Justin's Maple Almond Butter and a single-serve cup of unsweetened, organic applesauce by squeezing some almond butter on the spoon before each bite. That might sounds crazy, but it's sooooo yummy!
    Actually, sounds fantastic. I love peanut and almond butter and usually eat a whole jar each week (of one, not both). I have a terrible sweet tooth and tend to indulge in nut butters and honey.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

OMG that sounds like heaven.
  • AshleyAnn9
    AshleyAnn9 Posts: 56
    Options
    One of my favorite new meals: cottage cheese, cucumber. bell peppers, grape tomatoes, and a little bit of pepper. Delicious!
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm loving poached eggs on wholemeal toast at the moment, with cracked black pepper and a sprinkling of chilli.

Simple, not that bad and so damn tasty!
  • OliviaCeed
    OliviaCeed Posts: 28 Member
    Options

What a GREAT idea!
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    Legumes are delicious!!!

YES!!!! I had the Korean bbq one and it was amazing!!! I cant wait to try more!