Office Lunches

Hi,

I am looking for some ideas of things to take for lunch. I work in an office and we have a microwave and a refrigerator/freezer. I'm not big on vegetables for lunch but I want to keep my foods whole and unprocessed as much as possible. I was thinking of bringing a sandwich but I'm scared of bread. Lol.

Any ideas would be great :)

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Hi,

I am looking for some ideas of things to take for lunch. I work in an office and we have a microwave and a refrigerator/freezer. I'm not big on vegetables for lunch but I want to keep my foods whole and unprocessed as much as possible. I was thinking of bringing a sandwich but I'm scared of bread. Lol.

Any ideas would be great :)
    :huh:
  • caimay175
    caimay175 Posts: 42
    I was joking. Kinda. I already have a slice of wholewheat with my breakfast and so I don't want to overdo it.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I almost always cook enough food for supper to take leftovers for lunch. If I have no leftovers my go to meals are spinach salad or the little snack size cans of tuna/salmon.
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    salad, soup, take a tortilla wrap instead of bread
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Things that work for me: bulgar wheat (yummy and low cal) with various things like stirfried veg, or tuna, or some cheese mixed in. A big salad with some elements of everything always works, or this week I tried making a curry :) Rice could be good so long as you don't mind it cold - I've done homemade egg fried rice, a kedgeree (with smoked haddock) can be eaten cold.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    I like to make big batches of things and freeze them. This week I've had a chicken noodle stir fry with loads of veggies, soup, rice with ham and veggies. Today I made a wrap though, I used half a southern fried chicken breast steak with salad and a small amount of sweet chilli dipping sauce.

You could also microwave a potato and add whatever filling you like and put a salad on the side. We have a canteen at work and jacket potatoes are always my go to if I don't have my lunch with me.
  • caimay175
    Thanks - some great ideas here! I like the tuna idea and maybe seasoning it and mixing it with some brown rice. Or microwaving a sweet potato - wonder how long that would take. There's a place near me that does some great soups with vegetables and chicken, so maybe that's the way to go. Thanks everyone :)
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Agree with others that leftovers are a great easy option to take to work and just re heat. If I don't have any leftovers I will do salads but vary the dressings/protein element, make a big batch of soup, or a big Spanish style tortilla with eggs/onions/potato and any meat or veg I have at hand and then it will keep in the fridge a few days and I just cut off a slice for lunches. I do like sandwich/wrap/bagels or pasta salads with different toppings/fillings but if you are limiting carbs they might not fit your goals.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    I have a 3 protein salad every day - huge amount of salad (lettuce, toms, cucumber, bell peppers etc) - with a boiled egg, 100g full fat cottage cheese and either meat/tuna/smoked mackerel. Because of the protein and fat content it keeps me full all day, so much so that sometimes I have to make myself have dinner in the evening - and comes in around 400/500 cals. I mix up what's in it and the dressing and honestly am never, ever bored of it because it's so tasty. it's pretty much my main meal of the day, the macros are great and it's not a massive chunk of calories.
  • hollyannewood
    hollyannewood Posts: 7 Member
    put loads of roasted vegetables in a wholemeal pitta with some light mayo. it's super filling and really good for you. pitta is the best alternative to bread for me. i feel you with the being scared of bread thing. one slice is never enough for me so i find it best to cut it out almost altogether haha.
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    I take my breakfast into the office most mornings (I have to force myself to eat breakfast because I don't normally) - I have porridge mostly and things like this are dead easy and not that bad:

http://www.quaker.co.uk/products/oat-so-simple-pots

That should stave off the cravings till lunch and I do pretty much what other people have suggested. Salads / Soups etc. Big batches of food you bring a portion in each day work well too.

I'm a massive lover of bread (it's my nemesis) and so bringing in prepared lunch meals keeps me away from the bread in the cafe downstairs.

I agree with the previous posters too - varying up your dressings / toppings on salads etc is really important to stop you getting bored.

I also bring fruit or nuts for when i get that dreaded 3pm slump. As well as going for a wander.

Cheeky tip - go for a wander in the afternoon with a piece of paper in your hand and a serious look on your face. No one questions you about where you've been for the last 3 hours when you come back! ;-)
  • caimay175

Cheeky tip - go for a wander in the afternoon with a piece of paper in your hand and a serious look on your face. No one questions you about where you've been for the last 3 hours when you come back! ;-)

LOL! I do this a few times a week - figured out a while ago that people assume you're doing something important if you're carrying a piece of paper!